How do you like the current encumbrance system?

ARRANOX

23 hours ago, Roland said:

I like it and wish it went further-- as in smaller backpacks with less slots to larger backpacks with more slots than we currently have. The whole point of it is to feel that sense of accomplishment once you have a vehicle and/or all slots cleared. I have played with mods that increase backpack size and/or clear all slots by spending one skill point in pack mule and those mods make the game feel much closer to creative mode to me.  Same with the early game struggle to manage stamina. It might be annoying and we might wish to be able to do everything we want wearing whatever we want for as long as we want-- but the early game restriction that slowly eases up as your character progresses gives that sense of growth and when you can finally swing that sledgehammer without pooping out after only three swings, it feels good. IMO, better than just being able to always use a sledgehammer all day long uninterrupted from Day 1. 

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of finding bigger backpacks ala Project Zomboid.  

I liked the Fallout 3-4 weight system, it didn't count ammo because it would be a hit on performance.  Simple and it made sense for a shooter. 

The current system for 7D2D is clunky as a shooter but its a builder too so slots could hold infinite weight.

As 7D2D is a survival game too, the player needs to make survival choices and choosing what items to bring back to base is a part of survival.

SO, its the best choice for the game if survival/building is the focus over being a shooter.  

3 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I liked the Fallout 3-4 weight system, it didn't count ammo because it would be a hit on performance.  Simple and it made sense for a shooter.

Haha, yeah, Fallout is a nice one in this point. That was not a gameplay decission. The engine of fallout doesn't know the concept of stacks. If you have 500 bullets in your inventory, from a data viewpoint there are literally 500 single bullets in your inventory, not one stack of 500 bullets. That also applied to the bottle caps.

The performence hit came, because for weight they'd had to evaluate the weight of 500 single items then.

Only the UI made them visually look like stacks, but from the data itself, they were not.

21 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Haha, yeah, Fallout is a nice one in this point. That was not a gameplay decission. The engine of fallout doesn't know the concept of stacks. If you have 500 bullets in your inventory, from a data viewpoint there are literally 500 single bullets in your inventory, not one stack of 500 bullets. That also applied to the bottle caps.

The performence hit came, because for weight they'd had to evaluate the weight of 500 single items then.

Only the UI made them visually look like stacks, but from the data itself, they were not.

Wow, where'd you get your "Information" is interesting, but wrong, at least with ammo in FO4.

No weight.

Edited by Aldranon (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Wow, where'd you get your "Information" is interesting, but wrong, at least with ammo in FO4.

No weight.

He didn’t say they had weight, he said that if they did have weight, the system couldn’t handle it sice it would treat each bullet (and bottle cap) as one unit and would affect performance

I don't know. The current encumbrance is pretty basic and barebones, that's a mixed bag. On one hand it's easy to understand and solve. Much like others that have posted above, well after playing a mod. I am more biased towards a Fallout 4/ Skyrim weight system than instead of what we have right now in vanilla. I don't like being limited to only a specific amount of backpack space. IF the pocket mods added more slots then I'd be ecstatic! In general I just want more inventory slots.