When does a playthrough end ?

Hi all , I'm fairly new to the game and have only been playing a couple of months , I've got to day 250 , have opened all the map and cleared all the main cities , there are only a few small poi that I haven't done yet . I was wondering when to call it a day and start I new  playthrough . What do you guy do and have you any advice to give me ? Thanks.

Our games (i don't play single player most times) usually end, when most players start getting bored. In most cases this happens long before we explored the whole map, or even looted everything. Usually that kicks in when players have almost maxed their characters, can craft everything, and are superior to bloodmoons and the only task left is to craft enough ammunition to stay superior during the next bloodmoon.

I guess the longest play i ever did, was the second try on navezgane, where we also explored more or less the whole map. But most players coincidence was, once you know that prebuilt map, it is boring to play it again (even if it changed a little during update, but the basic layout is still the same, so you know right from the start where almost everything is located). Iirc in that playthrough we ended up on day ~180. And we did not loot everything, because why?

It only happend rarely, and that only if we played self-made "scenarios" like playing nomade (not using a location for a bloodmoon twice, which also makes it almost worthless to build own defense bases), that we stopped a playtrough because we got absolutely wrecked by a bloodmoon.

For our group, starting over is the most fun. Generally, we’ve got everything we want by day 60ish so that’s when we start over. None of us are into extravagant bases. I would imagine those people play a lot longer.

Day 250......must be a fun hoard night!   The most I have ever played one map is just over 200 hours.  And the only reason I deleted that map was because it became too much of a grind.  This week I got bored with the map I was playing and deleted it by day 60ish.  Try on your next map turning up the zeds amounts, raise your difficulty level, do either generated maps or use Nitrogen.  Download a few player built prefabs and this will help keep the game fresh and more fun.

5 hours ago, freakyparsley said:

Hi all , I'm fairly new to the game and have only been playing a couple of months , I've got to day 250 , have opened all the map and cleared all the main cities , there are only a few small poi that I haven't done yet . I was wondering when to call it a day and start I new  playthrough . What do you guy do and have you any advice to give me ? Thanks.

best i can suggest is maybe try a mod i know theres a few good ones for example darkness falls, true survival, starvation, apocalypse now etc

I've always restarted long before day 250.  I almost always restart about the time I start accessing steel, sometime longer, depending on how easy the game feels at that point.  At this point, though, I'm not playing much and awaiting Alpha 20.

52 minutes ago, Maharin said:

I've always restarted long before day 250.  I almost always restart about the time I start accessing steel, sometime longer, depending on how easy the game feels at that point.  At this point, though, I'm not playing much and awaiting Alpha 20.

well i missed all of A17 and A18 due to life problems so i have some catching up to do :)

On 4/3/2021 at 9:48 PM, Star69 said:

For our group, starting over is the most fun. Generally, we’ve got everything we want by day 60ish so that’s when we start over. None of us are into extravagant bases. I would imagine those people play a lot longer.

Same here. Generally when we get to around day 30-40 and we've maxxed out the skills on our choice of speciality and have found level 6 equipment we tend to feel that the game is "done". By that point we can happily clear out tier 5 quests, and tend to feel there's nowhere left to go.

It's fun to go back to the first few days where you're ill-equipped and scrabbling to survive.

agreed with a few who restart...

i do not ask for the game to be made harder (we have options for that).. just that it not be so damn easy to get everything in the first in game week of playing.. (i'll bet many complaints of bordem is caused by this)

while i change my play styles with each game i play, it is time to reset after i get into steel and a lot of what i get is looted from various places. i know we must look out for johnny newcomer and hope he enjoys the game

i know we have lots of work to try to balance the game but i still dislike finding 14 stone shovels in 2 normal size pois from just looting.. i dont quest as it levels you too fast and the rewards are op after a while..

but we cant please everyone all the time so its a matter of changing game settings by the player and changing tactics or styles instead of same old perks and style in every game.

thats why we have the options. so back to being on topic... for me its time to restart new map (new seed for rwg) when i get steel gear and steel tools. no the large as hell skyscrapers dont thrill me for doing them over and over.. tried that.. better to start over and enjoy the adventure. :)

my 2 1/2 cents that'll probably just tick some off but its me.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

i do not ask for the game to be made harder (we have options for that).. just that it not be so damn easy to get everything in the first in game week of playing.. (i'll bet many complaints of bordem is caused by this)

Unfortunately, there are just as many complaints that people can't find everything they want in the first week.  The solution is mods, not a million game options.

What makes one person very happy will likely make another rage quit.  Thus is life.

Since darkness falls was mentioned, I’m also going to throw in trying Gnamod.  I’ve been enjoying it as it changes up quite a lot on how the game is played, and just has a different “look” than most of the overhauls. 

additionally: I’ve seen other people replay the game with “a self declared challenge” like “no crafting” or “punching only”.  

additionally: there are a few special built maps that can be fun. Specificallly the “spencer mansion” challenge (where you replay a resident evil location) as well as the “Dishong tower challenge”

there are more options involving modding with individual mods, which may be too much work for some people, but the above are the easiest to do and are unique/fun on their own. 

• 2 weeks later...

i restart when i die, when i get bored or when i achieve a personal goal or challenge.

just about done with this alpha. i might try the darkness falls mod, though after watching a couple vids on it, i'm not too excited about some of the decisions made there. maybe it's time to wait for a20.

Given the games unfinished state, restarting depends on the players self imposed goals.  The following are some goal posts to consider.

-How long you can survive without dying? (e.g. dead is dead)

-Progress through all quest tiers

-What is the highest gamestage / bloodmoon you can survive without dying?

-Unlock all books/recipes/achievementd

-increase game difficulty and repeat goals above.

-explore different mods

-make your own prefabs / mods :)

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

On 4/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, starscream said:

i restart when i die, when i get bored or when i achieve a personal goal or challenge.

just about done with this alpha. i might try the darkness falls mod, though after watching a couple vids on it, i'm not too excited about some of the decisions made there. maybe it's time to wait for a20.

Basically same here.  I reset on my first death - forces me to actually survive.  

Normally I die sometime before the world completely bores me but when I manage to basically 'win' then it is time to wait for the next alpha or go to pvp land.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:35 AM, Maharin said:

Start getting steel on day 250 is strong

On 4/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, freakyparsley said:

realistically a playthrough ends when you decide you are done with your current world some will say it ends by day 35ish some like skippy0330 played to day 700

Problem is the twisted gamessense of difficulty in this game.

Usually a game should start easy and getting harder until the endboss.

7days starts with the endboss and getting more and more easy with every day ingame until the lategame has a difficultyniveau like a tutorial level.

General lategame content like endless building for fun or collecting the perfect rolled item or just duckshoot some zeds for relaxing is just one side of it. I would like anything that scales in diffculty in the right direction. Maybe something banal stupid like Diablo3 greater rifts. The trader couldt give away legendary Quets with endless scaling difficulty until it gets unbeatable.

Been playing with these settings the last several games and it has changed my game play considerably, even with "easy" zombies (warrior, compared to normally playing survivalist).  The daytime maxcounts were all updated to at least 10 (20 in wasteland) and the night time maxcounts were upped to 20 (30 in the wasteland).  Very different game.  I've been enforcing "one life to live" until this last game.  My average game length was measured in hours prior to this because it was way too easy to get overwhelmed by all the zombies outside a POI coming in to say "hi" while you were trying to clear a POI.

<biome name="pine_forest">
		<spawn maxcount="10" respawndelay="2.9" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />
		<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="3.3" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />
		<spawn maxcount="5" respawndelay="1" time="Any" entitygroup="WildGameForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
		<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="1.1" time="Night" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	</biome>

<biome name="burnt_forest">
		<spawn maxcount="10" respawndelay="2.8" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesBurntForest" />
		<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="3.2" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />
		<spawn maxcount="5" respawndelay="1" time="Any" entitygroup="WildGameForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
		<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="1.1" time="Night" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsBurntForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	</biome>

<biome name="desert">
		<spawn maxcount="10" respawndelay="2.7" time="Any" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />
		<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="2.1" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />
		<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3.5" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsDesert" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	</biome>

<biome name="wasteland">
		<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="0.3" time="Day"	entitygroup="ZombiesAll" />
		<spawn maxcount="30" respawndelay="0.1" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesWastelandNight" />
		<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="0.3" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsWasteland" spawnDeadChance="0" />
	</biome>

<biome name="snow">
		<spawn maxcount="10" respawndelay="2.6" time="Any" entitygroup="SnowZombies" />
		<spawn maxcount="20" respawndelay="1.7" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />
		<spawn maxcount="2" respawndelay="3.1" time="Any" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsSnow" spawnDeadChance="0" />

</biome>

On 4/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Maharin said:

Unfortunately, there are just as many complaints that people can't find everything they want in the first week.  The solution is mods, not a million game options.

What makes one person very happy will likely make another rage quit.  Thus is life.

a playthrough ends maha when me and you can survive an extremely llate game BM horde in and underground horde base with full demos and feral irradiateds :)

This really depends on what you want to do.

Like most, in most games I give up when i simply overpower the bloodmoons

but in one game i have played foredver because I am completely rebuilding a 7 story building. 

So a different goal there