Something missing in 7D2D: really big POI's

merlinfire

Disclaimer:  forgive me if somehow I've never run across these.  I've played a lot of RWG maps and haven't seen these.

There are some large-style POI's that I think would give immersion and maybe another layer of depth but that I haven't seen in the game yet.

Large shopping malls

Airports

train stations (with RWG-generated tracks!)

sports stadiums

RWG interstate highways that connect to the smaller roads.  maybe just one such highway would be generated per map, and it would cut through more or less in a straight line.

College Campus (with dorms)

Farms out in the middle of nowhere with much larger fields rather than having the farm basically in-town which is kind of weird, honestly.  

There are several really tall buildings (at least 6 that I can think of) as POIs and some large, spread out ones (like the football field).  I'm sure many more POIs will be added before launch.  They add some new/redesigned ones every release or so.

A20 should include a much better RWG engine so the options will only get better.  They already have mini towns that include several related POIs, like the old west style one, so the college campus could be possible.  You won't likely see underground POIs added back yet because they are a nightmare for SI, but maybe before release from what I've read.  And the only way you will see trains with tracks is if someone gets inspired and finds a way to make roads way better and then can easily convert that code into train track generation.  :p

The OP has some interesting ideas. 

I would like to see them "fix" some of the POI's they have now first though.

One of the most disappointing ones that I did was the prison.

I really expected that one to be a lot harder than the cakewalk it was

1 hour ago, Slaasher said:

All the original style POI's are planned to be redone.

12 hours ago, Slaasher said:

i agree the prison hsould be 10 times its current size in terms of surface area and zombies

It would be nice if POIs could be “clustered” or tagged in some way so the rwg mapper could put them close together or touching in a predefined way. Then you could make several small similar themed POIs and link them all together.  Maybe have a limit of like 4-16 to a cluster (2x2, up to 4x4) For something like a carnival/prison it would then randomly place those POIs in the cluster, so all the mega POIs” would be somewhat different, and “adding to the list” could be done by anyone. It could also make for some cool underground or  “dense city” POIs (no roads between buildings, etc)

additionally: you wouldn’t have to put a little bit of land around it, it would literally join the blocks together and then add a little strip of land and a road for you. Maybe auto put a parking lot or two against it :)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

The top tier POIs are already really huge, e.g. skyscrapers and factories.

If someone is not absolutely overpowered yet or trying to speedrun, it's already hard to clear them within one day (assuming default 60min days). That's far big enough.

That their appierance on RWG-maps (especially skyscrapers) is really rare, is not a lack of big POIs, but a lack of the RWG.

Additional ideas for huge POIs like airports or similar are a more a question of variety, not a question of requiring bigger POIs. And there are thousands of ideas for that since ages. Probably try the compopack and also nitrogen instead of RWG.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Compo Pack as it has a number of really big POIs such as Airports, Stadia and skyscrapers.

Magolis Compo Pack (Current Thread) by Wolfbain5 and Stallionsden - Prefabs - 7 Days to Die

Have a look mate you may like what you see and as always here the community is always there to help and guide you through any questions you have.

16 hours ago, Gobarg said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Compo Pack as it has a number of really big POIs such as Airports, Stadia and skyscrapers.

Magolis Compo Pack (Current Thread) by Wolfbain5 and Stallionsden - Prefabs - 7 Days to Die

Have a look mate you may like what you see and as always here the community is always there to help and guide you through any questions you have.

It's very fun, but be caaarreeefuuullll.... some of them have Sooprizez!  heh-heh.

You want more zombies?  Try the compopak. heh-heh-heh.

:D

(I was going to mention the pak when I saw the thread today, but ya beat me to it)

There are a couple really, really huge POI in it.