Jump to content

KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die


KingSlayerGM

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

I could use a little help from an expert please!  I've been chasing my tail for days, now, trying to create a "canyon" map - one where we start in a small open area, say a 200 x 200 px square in the GIMP heightmap.png: the map's base city level is set at 60 in GIMP. This starting area has 100 hardness vertical cliff walls all around, going up to the 100 px level, and this is the level of the highest point across the map - no mountains - just a dead flat 4096 x 4096 with five identical square 'boxes' each with a stock 60 px ground floor, and linked together by a single narrow "slot" in the 60 to 100 px cliffs - the slot is about 11 or 12 px wide - enough to easily walk along. At the end of this chain there are two larger squares - one, a 1500px 'box' and the second at 2500 px. The 12px wide canyon runs down through the five small squares, into the 1500, then into the largest square in an "L"-shaped path. The city.png is configured so that each small square has a village in it: the medium has a town, and the large has a (medium) city. The city png 'square' sizes are smaller than the hm squares, so that the buildings don't touch the surrounding cliff walls (some still did) . All of this loads in KingGen quite properly, and the maps complete as we expect. . . . . BUT. . .  the road creation pays no attention whatsoever to the vertical cliffs.: it just drives a 70 or 80 degree road right up and out on top of the 100 px snowy landscape. It simply will not follow the 11 px canyons. Even 12, 15 or larger.  I can find nothing that's current on how to create a splat3 png file and am just too dumb and frustrated to figure out how to paint a red channel, or a green channel. (sigh)  I'm almost ready to go back to Far Cry . . .   Brad? Stallion? KS?  anybody?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkxzZVj-BUo-HXve6

I had a chat with Kingslayer the other day about road pathing in the discord page. I'm messing with a canyon map building land bridges across that start and end level with the peaks. The bridge bit is fine. Getting the roads to use them was a problem. The roads like to use certain points on the map. If you can access the discord have a look at the chat and you'll see pictures of the stages of getting it to work. 

unknown.png

 

TLDR;

Try moving the 'road' slots 10 blocks to the side to catch the pathing that they algorithm is wanting to use. 

---

Here's something else you can try. Drop your preview.png over the top of your map in Gimp as a temporary guide as to where kinggen is happy to place roads. Then move your slots closer to where the roads have been placed. 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

. . .just got outa bed. This is good, Brad - just what I need, and thanks for mentioning the Discord page - I'll be there sometime today.
This pathing is quite a pita, and I imagine quite a number of people are experiencing this issue as well. I ran the a few HMs through Nitro too, and had similar results.
Ok, I'll chew away at this today and see if I can dig more info on making those splat files. Many thanks, your info is great - as are the videos. I would never be doing as well as I am without them.

Update: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkxv2vpJJ9N6pvfdr?e=3A66Qv


It hasn't necessarily followed each new path, but it's getting there - three maps this morning, with each improving over the previous: I reckon once it's 'right' it will make for lots of new ideas and new game strategies. 


😉

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can teach you splat3 creation Paul

11 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

. . .just got outa bed. This is good, Brad - just what I need, and thanks for mentioning the Discord page - I'll be there sometime today.
This pathing is quite a pita, and I imagine quite a number of people are experiencing this issue as well. I ran the a few HMs through Nitro too, and had similar results.
Ok, I'll chew away at this today and see if I can dig more info on making those splat files. Many thanks, your info is great - as are the videos. I would never be doing as well as I am without them.

Update: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkxv2vpJJ9N6pvfdr?e=3A66Qv


It hasn't necessarily followed each new path, but it's getting there - three maps this morning, with each improving over the previous: I reckon once it's 'right' it will make for lots of new ideas and new game strategies. 


😉

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what's going on with KG 0.11.1 as it won't close, have to force it close. Was working ok the other week 🤔

Error message:

  File "gui.py", line 174, in on_closing
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\KingGenConfig.txt'
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 174, in on_closing
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\KingGenConfig.txt'

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cpt Krunch: "I can teach you splat3 creation Paul "

Well, you did! An hour or so session with you on your "teach-me-maps' Discord channel, with me making notes and chatting, etc., did it. After (another) five hours this morning I now have six canyons between four villages, a town and then a city. It isn't easy or quick - waa a a y more complex than creating a biome, but it worked and I was able to create the canyons based on a compromise of where the map wanted them placed and where I wanted them placed.
So a BIG "THANK YOU" to Cpn. Krunch for this, Tallman Brad for his fine videos, and to KingSlayer for KingGen. Being able to play the TFP 7D2D game, modify it, and add to the gameplay, then build and see mapping ideas come into being like this, plus interactions like this - all makes for one super hobby.
 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkxv2vpJJ9N6pvfdr?e=49HC29

 

pj

 

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, paulj_3 said:



Well, you did! An hour or so session with you on your "teach-me-maps' Discord channel, with me making notes and chatting, etc., did it. After (another) five hours this morning I now have six canyons between four villages, a town and then a city. It isn't easy or quick - waa a a y more complex than creating a biome, but it worked and I was able to create the canyons based on a compromise of where the map wanted them placed and where I wanted them placed.
So a BIG "THANK YOU" to Cpn. Krunch for this, Tallman Brad for his fine videos, and to KingSlayer for KingGen. Being able to play the TFP 7D2D game, modify it, and add to the gameplay, then build and see mapping ideas come into being like this, plus interactions like this - all makes for one super hobby.

pj

 

I can also teach you some other tricks for tunnels and 'caves'. Ive got quite a lot of custom made prefabs that suit this purpose, and I can show you how to create these very easily.

Also, if you are already comfortable with hand made scenes, you should consider doing a collaboration map with me and another map maker or two. I'd really like to complete a hand made showcase map for CP in A20.

Its getting harder and harder for those guys to get maps below 12k that contain all of their assets. Based off of the maps Ive previously released, two or three of us could acheive this easily if working by hand on an 8 or 10 map. I do these myself, but they are very time consuming. Working with a few other map makers could make these go a lot faster and produce higher quality maps in the process. Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

😂

I reckon you have been into Guppy's Moonshine, Cap'n!  . . . . . but I would be interested in exploring the possibilities of cave creation - it was where I was tonight; the creation of a 12k map with a central volcano or ten megaton crater/hole, and the notion of getting out of it into "a safer place" - a more normal 7D society. Your idea sounds a worthy one, so - yes - we can yak tomorrow.

Later..
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope everyone is having an epic Sunday,

I seem to be doing something very wrong here because I've figured out where to go in GIMP to seperate the R, G, B and alpha to edit but for some reason eveytime I try and save my new splat3 image it creates a blank splat3 with no roads at all.... I know its probably something super simple that I'm overlooking but I've been tinkering with it since yesterday evening and I still can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong >_<

I've already sketched out about 10 or so different map ideas and I've ran about 4 through GIMP into basic files that could still do with more TLC through touch ups in GIMP and then some POI/ Terrain correction in game but I know that before I really start fine tuning my maps I want to get road placement down so I can not only correct missing roads/ improperly placed roads but also because I want to make a few maps from scratch where I draw out the terrain then place the POIs myself and draw the roads to and from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

now there will be more RWG map customizations in A20 but will KingGen be updated for A20 and what would be changed to work with A20?

Yes, it will be updated. Who knows... I will figure it out when I get a20

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made some prefabs and made a prefablist with vanilla + my own prefabs.
When I generate the world, my own prefabs are not on the map. Everything else is there. only my prefabs are missing.
Do I have to do something special to my prefabs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LCsTarBuZz said:

I made some prefabs and made a prefablist with vanilla + my own prefabs.
When I generate the world, my own prefabs are not on the map. Everything else is there. only my prefabs are missing.
Do I have to do something special to my prefabs?

DId you actually install your prefabs into the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

that seems fine, can I see the lines concerning your custom pois in the poilist file that you gave to KG?

00_LC_Bunker,37,22,29,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,,
00_LC_Haus_Seeblick,28,19,28,0,2,snow/pine_forest,,
00_LC_Pyramide,30,17,30,0,2,desert/wasteland,,
00_L_CBase_1,69,21,65,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert,,

Edited by LCsTarBuZz (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

They lack township and zoning. This is what tells KG where to use your prefabs. City,town.... Industrial, commercial, residential...

ok, thanks. Didn't realize I have to add them. I'll try it out!

EDIT:
I don't know if this is the correct way to do it. I just want to spawn them in the wilderness of different biomes, not in cities/towns/villages.

00_LC_Bunker,37,22,29,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,wilderness,residentialold
00_LC_Haus_Seeblick,28,19,28,0,2,snow/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialnew
00_LC_Pyramide,30,17,30,0,2,desert/wasteland,wilderness,residentialold
00_L_CBase_1,69,21,65,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert,wilderness,residentialold

I can't get them to show up in the map.
Can anyone pls help me, understand this?

 

Edited by LCsTarBuZz (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Yes, it will be updated. Who knows... I will figure it out when I get a20

well the only big update TFP made in A20 for RWG is more map sizes and a new system for POI spawning other than that they didn't change much. so hopefully whatever other features KingGen will have an A20 will really expand the RWG by then. KingGen has been fantastic for me so hopefully A20 will open more possibilities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, AndrewT said:

well the only big update TFP made in A20 for RWG is more map sizes and a new system for POI spawning other than that they didn't change much. so hopefully whatever other features KingGen will have an A20 will really expand the RWG by then. KingGen has been fantastic for me so hopefully A20 will open more possibilities.

New system for POI spawning could actually change things quite a bit, depending on changes made to building tags and other metadata. I do hope you are right though. They are also expanding RWG to road tiles and possibly adding in sewer system lines, so I think if nothing else, there will be a larger gap between rwg and other custom made maps.

They are also adding in a lot of new blocks and probably making name convention changes that will break a whole lot of existing prefabs, which is going to make a big mess out of everyone's existing prefab collections. Hopefully there will be a conversion tool similar to the one used when they made the jump from A16 to A17.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

New system for POI spawning could actually change things quite a bit, depending on changes made to building tags and other metadata. I do hope you are right though. They are also expanding RWG to road tiles and possibly adding in sewer system lines, so I think if nothing else, there will be a larger gap between rwg and other custom made maps.

They are also adding in a lot of new blocks and probably making name convention changes that will break a whole lot of existing prefabs, which is going to make a big mess out of everyone's existing prefab collections. Hopefully there will be a conversion tool similar to the one used when they made the jump from A16 to A17.

all true but they're adding poi spawning systems they call "districts" so my biggest concern is how will KingGen adjust to these changes as well as things like the sewer system u mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AndrewT said:

all true but they're adding poi spawning systems they call "districts" so my biggest concern is how will KingGen adjust to these changes as well as things like the sewer system u mentioned.

Both the CP and I have been working with King on something similar. The timing is good and it makes sense we all came to this conclusion around the same time, groupings have been needed for a long time. I was doing something similar in Nitro, but it was very very time consuming

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I improved the poi selection in cities. Now it is impossible for the same poi to be placed more than once in the same city. However, this comes at a cost. If KG cannot find a poi that satisfies the required zone, it will start looking for pois of other zones.... if KG still cannot find a suitable one, it will start looking for pois in other townships (towns, villages...). This needs to be done otherwise large lots would remain empty. I think this is an improvement, but I'll listen to the community feedback .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...