Jump to content

KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die


KingSlayerGM

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, DEAk0n said:

 

Ok! Yes. That works as expected. Uhh, that also implies KingGen was trying to create a... 4096000 x 4096000 map. Wow... No wonder it wanted 64TiB of memory! Still, the GUI option is throwing the same error... I think I remember that's a known issue though...

Yes, that is a knows issue. I cannot reproduce it on my linux machine. So I don't know how to fix it just yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

When you use the CLI the size should be an integer between 4 an 16. Try that

Just to be sure, can it be any integer or only an even integer? i.e.: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 in the latter case but 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 or 16 in the former.

 

2 hours ago, DEAk0n said:

 

Ok! Yes. That works as expected. Uhh, that also implies KingGen was trying to create a... 4096000 x 4096000 map. Wow... No wonder it wanted 64TiB of memory! Still, the GUI option is throwing the same error... I think I remember that's a known issue though...

At least you would never have to regen the world due to players having wiped every PoI out. 😛

 

Edited by GlassDeviant (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GlassDeviant said:

Just to be sure, can it be any integer or only an even integer? i.e.: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 in the latter case but 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 or 16 in the former. 

😛

The generation works with odd sizes too. I'm not sure the game handles a odd sized world though. Do it at your own risk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just finished a tutorial video on finding and fixing real-world heightmaps for use with KingGen. Hopefully this helps people looking to raise hell in their own country or just explore other regions of the world. Thanks Kingslayer for letting me share this here. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that I have the KingGen CLI working (the GUI seems to be an issue with TKinter/TK... Maybe a QT5 front end? Anyway...), I have unsuccessfully looked for a rundown on the CLI's longopts, and their accepted values. Does anyone have a link to that? The -h option gives me a list of longopts, but without any accepted values.

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lsjreadingpa said:

How do i give Kingen permission?

If I remember correctly, and don't quote me on this... Right click on KingGen.exe, and select "Run as Administrator"... That sounds right.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 6:26 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

The generation works with odd sizes too. I'm not sure the game handles a odd sized world though. Do it at your own risk

 

Having enough trouble with a 14kx14k world atm, I have to exit and reload every couple of hours else the game gets weird. Objects I destroy stay visibly there (but are gone when I exit and reload) and so on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

I've just finished a tutorial video on finding and fixing real-world heightmaps for use with KingGen. Hopefully this helps people looking to raise hell in their own country or just explore other regions of the world. Thanks Kingslayer for letting me share this here. 

 

Hmm thanks for the video. Makes me want to see if I can get Texas added in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

I've just finished a tutorial video on finding and fixing real-world heightmaps for use with KingGen. Hopefully this helps people looking to raise hell in their own country or just explore other regions of the world. Thanks Kingslayer for letting me share this here. 

 

Great video. Did you try the map in-world? How did the canyon turn out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DJQuad said:

 

Great video. Did you try the map in-world? How did the canyon turn out?

I tried the canyon out earlier but I selected a wider area round it so it was a little too narrow. I think you need to be pretty close and make a decent sized map. It looked really good though. Very impressive with water running through it. Very hard to cross. Could make for a good challenge for bridge building in 7dtd. Ooooh! There's a thought for a new angle! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I wish it were more like Navezgane but the whole map being based on a canyon. And the lowest parts of the canyon being close to bedrock rather than water. 

 

I haven't done much editing but most of this would be desert. spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 major problem i have with this editor is the prefabs system for custom settings you need to fix it where it will recognize 

;unique 

trying to insert custom prefabs  i get 6 to many of one prefab 1 of the prefabs i want to spawn more of and no of the others

for example FLESHUS_greenhouse_01 i get 5 of these when i only wanted 3

FLESHUS_forest_BM_01 wanted 3 got zero 

FLESHUS_watchtower_02 wanted 5 got zero

FLESHUS_watchtower_01 wanted 5 got 1

FLESHUS_serial_killer wanted 3 got zero

 

nitrogen had option to read a custom prefab list and would recognize what settings you have in the text 

for example this always worked before for me spawned exact amount i wanted 

FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,2,-14,59,33,59,farm;smalltown;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,3,-10,58,25,59,houses;smalltown;unique

but with using the auto generate poi list it don't take this in effect and if i add these to text file it will not except it

FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique

so unless i'm over looking something need more option like possibly allowing you to load up the prefab list manually 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Father said:

1 major problem i have with this editor is the prefabs system for custom settings you need to fix it where it will recognize 

;unique 

trying to insert custom prefabs  i get 6 to many of one prefab 1 of the prefabs i want to spawn more of and no of the others

for example FLESHUS_greenhouse_01 i get 5 of these when i only wanted 3

FLESHUS_forest_BM_01 wanted 3 got zero 

FLESHUS_watchtower_02 wanted 5 got zero

FLESHUS_watchtower_01 wanted 5 got 1

FLESHUS_serial_killer wanted 3 got zero

 

nitrogen had option to read a custom prefab list and would recognize what settings you have in the text 

for example this always worked before for me spawned exact amount i wanted 

FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,2,-14,59,33,59,farm;smalltown;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,RESIDENTIALOLD,2,-1,17,46,17,alone;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,NONE,2,-11,25,45,34,alone;oldwest;mountain;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,3,-10,58,25,59,houses;smalltown;unique

but with using the auto generate poi list it don't take this in effect and if i add these to text file it will not except it

FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_forest_BM_01,65,39,61,0,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_greenhouse_01,59,27,59,-14,2,snow,rural/wilderness,residentialold/residential/residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_serial_killer_01,58,25,59,-10,3,desert/forest/pine_forest,town/rural/wilderness/city,residentialnew;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_01,17,46,17,-1,2,snow/plains/forest/pine_forest,wilderness,residentialold;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique
FLESHUS_watchtower_02,25,45,34,-11,2,desert,town/rural/wilderness,alone;unique

so unless i'm over looking something need more option like possibly allowing you to load up the prefab list manually 

Kingslayer is looking into this option.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure how to use the splat file properly for roads. Is it a value setting that makes roads drawn? Does someone have an example I can see?

That is something missing from my custom maps, and custom roads would really make things a lot more cohesive when designing cities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 5:39 AM, Lsjreadingpa said:

How do i give Kingen permission?

put kinggen in your users home directory and run it from there

if on windows (assuming a default install) copy kinggen.exe to the c:\users\<yourusernamegoeshere>\


MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE  <yourusernamegoeshere>  with the user name you log into the pc with and without the <> brackets!!!
 

Then run it from that directory as that user and it will work fine

Edited by scallipus (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, scallipus said:

put kinggen in your users home directory and run it from there

if on windows (assuming a default install) copy kinggen.exe to the c:\users\<yourusernamegoeshere>\


MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE  <yourusernamegoeshere>  with the user name you log into the pc with and without the <> brackets!!!
 

Then run it from that directory as that user and it will work fine

This did the trick, thank you and thank you to Deakon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Survager said:

@KingSlayerGM

Hello.
Now the generator does not generate roads to lonely locations in the wild.

Are you planning to add this?

I could fairly easily add those roads. However I'm worried the world would be too cluttered by roads. Also a few people said they like to find isolated pois. Perhaps this could be a topic of discussion here to see what the community prefers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...