Jump to content

KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die


KingSlayerGM

Recommended Posts

I haven't played WotW, and use only my own overhaul mod, adding in bits and pieces from all over the place as I like, but I have the download, so what I would do, is copy  the prefabs from the "WaroftheWalkersMod" and "NerdScurvy_Doors+Windows" folders, and paste them all into the Prefabs folder in your 7D2D game, then fire up KGW->advanced, hit the generate custom POIs list and you'll get a complete list that way - name it whatever you like - mine is simply pj_prefabs.txt. I've done it this way with Undead Legacy and Classic Hardcore, though I only used parts of their overhauls. Doing that involves a heck of a lot of xml edits, but it did work. Right now I have CP47 and DF prefabs in my own KGW map using the DF Small1 height map and biome png files.

Of course - I might well be totally wrong, and KG (and others) may know exactly how to do it, (and I hope they will chime in, and tell me if I'm wrong - 'cos I'm learning every day too.)  :)

pj

prefabs.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TomGun42 said:

Hey, I will be testing the map gen for our July map reset, looking good so far.. great work..

 

is it possible to add the ability to add in custom and random gen radiation points in the map, not just the edges..

For custom radiation you can generate the world first, then open the radiation.png file and modify it with paint/Photoshop/gimp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jessahness said:

HI! I just painstakingly read through all 15 pages incase someone asked the question, but how do I create a prefab list if I'm using WoTW?

Hello,

The response of Paulj_3 goes in the right direction, BUT, ...

WotW PoIs do not contain (at least for most of them) any restriction/indication of which sort of townships they may spawn, so your kinggen prefab list will have entries as:

"wotw_HouseB_LogCabin1,22,16,23,-5,0,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,,residentialold" - notice the 2 commas between "wasteland" and "residentialold" that's the place where "City/Town/..." would go - without this parameter KingGen ignores the PoI and it is not generated

You must fix this manually - and even if the PoI's .xml does not mention it, the fact that the PoI list does makes it generate

Regards

JayZhee

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been experimenting with KingGen for almost a week now so don't know all of the options but enough to put together a couple of video tutorials that new users might find helpful. The second video includes how to create your own height map and draw Biomes and cities. I don't want to post a direct link here without getting permission.

 

If anyone would like to find the videos you can just Google 'kinggen tutorial'. Currently my videos are the first results. I hope sharing this isn't an issue and I'll understand if you'd prefer to remove this post. Thanks for creating such great software kingslayer! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tallman Brad said:

I've been experimenting with KingGen for almost a week now so don't know all of the options but enough to put together a couple of video tutorials that new users might find helpful. The second video includes how to create your own height map and draw Biomes and cities. I don't want to post a direct link here without getting permission.

 

If anyone would like to find the videos you can just Google 'kinggen tutorial'. Currently my videos are the first results. I hope sharing this isn't an issue and I'll understand if you'd prefer to remove this post. Thanks for creating such great software kingslayer! 

Hi, please share the urls here! People will find it helpful.

 

Also if I like them, I can also put them on the first page :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah that's great! Thank you. I hope I haven't made too many mistakes in them. First video is the basics of kinggen options, increasing traders, excluding biomes etc. Second video spends a bit more time in Gimp showing how to make a basic height map, then layers for biomes, cities. Also includes how to export them in the correct format. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

Ah that's great! Thank you. I hope I haven't made too many mistakes in them. First video is the basics of kinggen options, increasing traders, excluding biomes etc. Second video spends a bit more time in Gimp showing how to make a basic height map, then layers for biomes, cities. Also includes how to export them in the correct format.

Just watched the fist one, loved it! Great job!

If it's ok with you, I will feature it on the first page. I think people are gonna like it

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

Oh absolutely. I'm more than happy for it to go anywhere. I hope it can help others get started. 

I am watching the second video now, great job again! Just a couple of minor things to keep in mind for next time. When you save a biomes map in gimp, I believe you can choose 8 bits instead of 16, but I honestly have never tried with gimp. Also, this is just a personal preference, you don't need to keep clicking the button to open and close the settings, you can just press tab to switch view, also you can press enter to start the generation :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah right. I thought the biome map needed to be 24bit, but I got 16 bit to work as the alpha was removed. So I could just use 8 bit. Keeps it a little simpler for people learning I guess. 

Tab to change screens is good. Good to know enter works too. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

Ah right. I thought the biome map needed to be 24bit, but I got 16 bit to work as the alpha was removed. So I could just use 8 bit. Keeps it a little simpler for people learning I guess. 

Tab to change screens is good. Good to know enter works too. Thanks. 

No problem :) As long as it works, people will be happy. However, just to clarify things: the biomes map should be a 3-channels (rgb)  24-bit png image. So that means there are only 8 bits per channel. I guess Gimp is letting you choose the bits per channel, not the overall number of bits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the export options I could only choose 8 or 16 bit rgb or rgba. Result was png files and even with a transparent background they seemed to work. Originally I was using your fix button but tried without and they seemed fine so stuck with it for simplicity of the video. Really need to experiment with the water feature next. Also, can I ask about the grid size? Was I correct that it makes roads closer/further and therefore less/more poi's in a grid but more/less roads, effectively, to a city area? 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

In the export options I could only choose 8 or 16 bit rgb or rgba. Result was png files and even with a transparent background they seemed to work. Originally I was using your fix button but tried without and they seemed fine so stuck with it for simplicity of the video. Really need to experiment with the water feature next. Also, can I ask about the grid size? Was I correct that it makes roads closer and therefore less poi's in a grid but more roads, effectively, to a city area? 

The water map is just a way to generate water in the world. HOWEVER you have to supply a compatible heightmap. One that hase "holes" where you want lakes or rivers. Otherwise the water will be generated inside the terrain.

Grid sizes are exactly what they sound like. They are the size of the city grid. Smaller grid sizes will result in more packed cities and larger grid sizes will result in more open cities. The number of pois in a block will almost always remain the same. Also larger sizes allow for larger pois to be placed inside cities. The Compo Pack for example contains a lot of very large pois and the people working on it specifically asked me for this option in the settings of KingGen.

If I may suggest, a cool idea for a video would be "how to install and use the Compo Pack together with KingGen". A lot of people have been asking me that. You can find the Compo Pack here.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just stumbled upon this wonderful tool, and look forward to many new adventures using it. I hope you plan to update it when the new vanilla RWG drops, as I love the customizable features you've added. Thank you so much for your amazing efforts.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Tallman Brad

 

First of all I want to thank you for these excellent tutorials, they have been very helpful, with trial and error I have created my dream map.
The only thing I did not know was how to create your own Heightmap (now I know) and now here comes the million dollar question  ¿How do I create my heightmap from a downloaded image (like the map of Great Britain or any other image), I have tried it but it does not work correctly, when I am painting the biomes it does not show me the colors, it is clear that I did something wrong in the Heightmap, you could make a video tutorial on this.
Regards

 

 

Also thank you very much KingSlayerGM for this excellent tool, with each update it improves surprisingly.
Regards

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Gouki! Fixing downloaded height maps is pretty tricky, I'm planning on doing a tutorial as soon as I can. For a tip to get you started, I'd recommend changing the brightness of the map so the dark areas are lighter. Just try increasing a tiny bit at a time and testing. There is a great little trick I've found but it's difficult to explain in text. Give me a day or two and I'll get a video done if I can. In the meantime just try brightening a little? The UK map has extremely varied heights and can be a bit of a pain to get the base level just right for city generation. Also you could try 'softening' an area to see if it balances the levels out enough to allow city placement. I hope this helps a little until I can do a video.

Sorry @Gouki, I've just noticed you said you were having problems with painting colours. (I'm doing 2 things at once here haha. No good at multitasking). If the image you are working on is already a grayscale then you cant add colour. You'll need to convert it to colour then export the map in grayscale, but export the biome drawings in colour.

 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

Thanks Gouki! Fixing downloaded height maps is pretty tricky, I'm planning on doing a tutorial as soon as I can. For a tip to get you started, I'd recommend changing the brightness of the map so the dark areas are lighter. Just try increasing a tiny bit at a time and testing. There is a great little trick I've found but it's difficult to explain in text. Give me a day or two and I'll get a video done if I can. In the meantime just try brightening a little? The UK map has extremely varied heights and can be a bit of a pain to get the base level just right for city generation. Also you could try 'softening' an area to see if it balances the levels out enough to allow city placement. I hope this helps a little until I can do a video.

Sorry @Gouki, I've just noticed you said you were having problems with painting colours. (I'm doing 2 things at once here haha. No good at multitasking). If the image you are working on is already a grayscale then you cant add colour. You'll need to convert it to colour then export the map in grayscale, but export the biome drawings in colour.

 

 

OK no problem.
The image I have is a map of Mexico, it is a flat image (blue water, gray the map and part of the United States in white) is not a heightmap map, I think that images like this are easier to edit.
Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tallman Brad said:

Here's a video showing how to add a custom POI list, specifically the Compo Pack. Plus how to remove unwanted POIs from the list. 

 

 

Thanks for the tutorial, well done!

I have also posted it in the CP discord

Btw I think there is a bug with the water map.. I will fix it this weekend.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...