Any way to copy a CVAR from one entity into another?

kanaverum

But does anyone know of a way to pass/copy a CVAR value from one entity to another?

More context and tests/results below:

I have a CVAR on my player and I want to set the value of this same CVAR on another entity so that once the trigger completes, both entities have the same CVAR with the same Value (i.e. a copy).

Test 1: In this example, I'm using this block with the Trader to make things simple (won't need other humans for this testing). At this point, my player cvar was at 5 and trader was at 2.

<buff name="setTraderFromSelf">
  <duration value="1" />
  <effect_group>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="testVar" operation="set" value="@testVar" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="10" />

<!-- show player current value -->
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="LogMessage" message="PlayerCVAR" />
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="CVarLogValue" cvar="testVar" />

<!-- show trader current value -->
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="LogMessage" message="TraderCVAR" />
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="CVarLogValue" cvar="testVar" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="4000" />
  </effect_group>
</buff>

Outcome 1: Unfortunately, this didn't result in any change to the trader's CVAR (bummer).

Test 2: So I tried another approach to confirm a hunch

<buff name="addTraderFromSelf">
  <duration value="1" />
  <effect_group>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="testVar" operation="add" value="@testVar" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="10" />

<!-- show player current value -->
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="LogMessage" message="PlayerCVAR" />
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="CVarLogValue" cvar="testVar" />

<!-- show trader current value -->
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="LogMessage" message="TraderCVAR" />
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="CVarLogValue" cvar="testVar" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="4000" />
  </effect_group>
</buff>

Outcome 2: This results in the trader's own "testVar" cvar doubling - which makes sense, it turns out: the value reference of "@test" isn't *my* value - it's the trader's.

So this would lead me to believe that any value reference to a CVAR is going to refer to the target only and there might not be any way for a value to be copied/passed in by another entity.

Test 3: I've also tried using requirements to see if I can at least confirm if a value is out of sync and then sync it up with onSelfBuffUpdate.

I rushed this example, so it might just be incorrectly written..

<buff name="syncWithTrader" icon="ui_game_symbol_players" icon_color="0, 128, 255">
  <effect_group>
    <requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="testVar" operation="LT" value="@testVar" target="other"></requirement>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="testVar" operation="add" value="1" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="10"/>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="LogMessage" message="cvar is low" />

</effect_group>
  <effect_group>
    <requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="testVar" operation="GT" value="@testVar" target="other"></requirement>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="testVar" operation="subtract" value="1" target="selfAOE" target_tags="npc" range="10"/>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="LogMessage" message="cvar is high" />
  </effect_group>
  <effect_group>
    <requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="testVar" operation="equals" value="@testVar" target="other"></requirement>
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="LogMessage" message="cvars are synced" />
    <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" buff="syncWithTrader" />
  </effect_group>
</buff>

Outcome 3: this hasn't worked either, I'm sorry to say

Edited by kanaverum (see edit history)