Sam's Sustainable Forestry - Reduce Tree Seeds / Tree Farms - A20, Server-Side

saminal

This one's mostly aimed at server admins wanting to keep tree farms down on their servers. It may also be of interest to private players who want to harvest a lot of wood, but hate the unnatural look of tree farms right next to their base.

This modlet reduces the tree seeds in game - by default, the drop is limited to a 1 in 30 chance of dropping one seed from any tree. Optionally, you can remove the seeds altogether. Instead of needing to plant seeds, the trees are replaced by a new sapling, which will randomly grow into one of the real world trees. This keeps the "natural" look of forests, rather than having 20 identical pine trees, all facing the same way, in a cluster.

Dead trees in the wasteland and burnt forest biomes will regrow to dead trees again - this isn't 100% realistic of course, but it's better than regrowing to healthy oak trees.

The few seeds that are dropped will plant these new saplings, so if a player does save up some seeds and plant a farm near their base, the resulting trees will be more random and natural looking. On a technical note, they also will no longer tick once they have grown, as they grow to the static RWG trees, so performance impact from these farms will still be reduced. The sapling seeds are available in the creative menu for admins to seed new forests.

This modlet has been tested for functionality, but balance testing will be a more long-term job. I'm open to input from anyone who uses it as to tweaks or options that could be included.

To remove seeds completely, check the blocks.xml file - comments in that file point to the edits to make.

Click here to download for A20

Click here to download for A19

treefarm1-horz.jpg

Update 11/5/2021:

Fixed problems

Burnt trees not downgrading to saplings correctly

Cactus included in Oak random helper

Seeking information

Anybody getting an error "needs a deco shape assigned but has not!" - any logs or steps to reproduce, please!

Anybody experiencing trees growing where they shouldn't be - please make sure you cut down the tree and then dug out the sapling

Download changed

Link updated - now using github instead of google drive

Edited by saminal
new version released (see edit history)

On 3/26/2021 at 10:52 PM, saminal said:

Just a note - you'll need to start a new game if you load this mod; unfortunately it's not possible to update the properties of trees that already exist in the world.

just curious would there be a way t oadd the world tree seed into the game if at all possible? :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is a relatively new mod? I dont see any posts or comments to this thread, was hoping to hear the experiences of others using this mod on a server. The server I am on just started using this mod on server with the new servers on Friday, we have enjoyed having trees that grow back and occasional seeds once again. That being said some of us have been visited by a random phantom tree now and then. My phantom tree has even followed me when looting. I was hoping to hear from others who have been using the mod how it is working on their servers. 

• 3 weeks later...

In case any other servers do wander over here wanting to hear of experiences from servers using this mod, you wont see much happening here on this forum but I can tell you from what we have experienced on the servers we have it on that you will not be able to add snufkin zombies to your map with this mod installed, or any other zombies without serious repercussions. The phantom tree and an error about the burnt and wasteland biome sapling not having a deco shape assigned to it have been a constant on our servers. We will most likely not be using this mod again in the future unfortunately. I wish we would hear something back from the creator of the mod, that would be great!

I'll have a look at snufkin's mod and see why it interacts with this one. I know the server-side zombies does a lot of weird XML things to create the custom entities. Thanks for letting me know which mod was causing the issue.

Could you be more specific about what you mean regarding the dead tree shape?

On 5/9/2021 at 12:11 PM, Crazy1 said:

specifically the error states that the burnt sapling and wasteland sapling needs a deco shape assigned but has not.

Can you please let me know what other mods you are running? This sounds like an interaction with another mod - or it could be a NitroGEN issue but we use NitroGEN and haven't seen this error at all. We've been running this mod on our two public servers for over 40 days with no problem at all, so it looks like a compatibility issue.

In the console run version and post the output here.

the maps are nitrogen, we have been using the same mods on our servers for several years without any issues until adding both the tree mod and the sous chef of the apocalypse mod. both mods were installed at the generation of the maps. the only one giving us errors is the tree mod. we have in the past used snufkins zombies without any problems until this seed, now we cannot add that or any other zombie mods to our servers without serious damage to the existing bases. I am not an admin on the servers and I am not able to run those commands, I only came here seeking information based on what the servers I am on as a moderator are experiencing. personally I wish other servers as well as the admins and or owners of the servers that I am would comment here. I have told you all that I honestly can as far as the issues we have seen with the phantom tree that visits everyone in their bases, homes, while out looting, and the error about the burnt/wasteland sapling not have a deco shape assigned to it. 

9 minutes ago, Crazy1 said:

the maps are nitrogen, we have been using the same mods on our servers for several years without any issues until adding both the tree mod and the sous chef of the apocalypse mod. both mods were installed at the generation of the maps. the only one giving us errors is the tree mod. we have in the past used snufkins zombies without any problems until this seed, now we cannot add that or any other zombie mods to our servers without serious damage to the existing bases. I am not an admin on the servers and I am not able to run those commands, I only came here seeking information based on what the servers I am on as a moderator are experiencing. personally I wish other servers as well as the admins and or owners of the servers that I am would comment here. I have told you all that I honestly can as far as the issues we have seen with the phantom tree that visits everyone in their bases, homes, while out looting, and the error about the burnt/wasteland sapling not have a deco shape assigned to it. 

Could you get one of the admins to comment here? I'm happy to work on a solution but I definitely need more information to do so..

I have spoken to a couple of other people who are using this mod and neither of them are reporting the issue. Unfortunately it's not a widely used mod so there's just not a lot of feedback on it yet.

Doing some more testing around this, still unable to reproduce either problem even when running with several other popular mods including custom zombies, sous chef, many more recipes and skills mods, Riles Vanilla Plus and HUD Plus... 

Do you know if the error message started immediately on day 1, or did it pop up after a while? Is it affecting all players?

Can you give me a screenshot or two of the "phantom tree"?

yes the error messages began on day one and seem to happen when the trees are growing back... I dont know how to upload a screen shot here but the phantom tree is a smaller pine that can be seen even at bedrock if you are mineing, sometimes it floats... sometimes its in my home, sometimes its just outside, sometimes it follows me to POIs when I am looting, sometimes it visits my friends... they cannot see it when I can and I cannot see it when they can... we have simply been calling it the emotional support tree and have learned to live with it since we are stuck with it until we wipe and start a fresh server without this mod next time around. 

curiously are you chopping down the trees in wasteland and burnt biome where the problem exists? those are the ones that apparently do not have a deco shape assigned to them that are giving the error code

Edited by Crazy1
typo (see edit history)

Okay I haven't tested this thoroughly yet so I'm not going to update the main download link, but here's an updated version: https://downgit.github.io/#/home?url=https://github.com/saminal1/samsmods/tree/dev/SSustainableForestry

I've replaced the model for the 'Dead' Sapling, treeDeadPineLeaf (which is a shape/mesh/texture) with treePlainsTree (which is a model). Hopefully this will stop the error messages; however, if the errors are being caused by trees that already exist you'll probably need to remove them if you can find them.

It's also got a fix in it for the trees in the Burnt Forest, which weren't regrowing previously.

The mod should be compatible enough to go over the top of the previous version - there are no blocks removed, only modified. However, it's always risky changing mods on an existing game so PLEASE if you do go for an update, take a backup and plan some downtime with your players so you can rollback if anything's broken. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Thank you, chances are we most likely wont take the chance to change anything at this time considering the issues we have already experienced, we are about halfway through the life of the servers and will not have this mod on it in the future. We are going to miss having trees that regrow but will go back to not having regrowing trees. Its a shame really because I have enjoyed having trees growing on the server again. Its a great idea and a good mod, I hope that in the future it will be a great mod for servers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • saminal changed the title to Sam's Sustainable Forestry - Reduce Tree Seeds / Tree Farms - A20, Server-Side
  • 4 weeks later...

I am currently using a mod that adds extra drops to trees (feathers eggs honey) but with this mod enabled the trees no longer drop them but breaking the little saplings does. what code would i need to add to your mod to make the trees drop the same stuff. i am a noob at modding 7 days to die so i am not familiar with how the code works for it.

6 hours ago, pyro557 said:

I am currently using a mod that adds extra drops to trees (feathers eggs honey) but with this mod enabled the trees no longer drop them but breaking the little saplings does. what code would i need to add to your mod to make the trees drop the same stuff. i am a noob at modding 7 days to die so i am not familiar with how the code works for it.

What mod is it? I'll have a look at the code and figure it out for you

25 minutes ago, pyro557 said:

The mod is called tree drops by red eagle LXIX on 7daystodiemods.com. Thank you in advance

Well I put both mods on together and cut down a bunch of trees, and it looks like they are working together just fine. I went over my code and it should be compatible with RELXIX's as they modify different blocks, and mine is very specific about only modifying the seed drops, not all drops in the general.

Bear in mind the drop rate on RELXIX's additions is very low - 1 in 50 for feathers, 1 in 400 for honey, 1 in 380 for eggs.. I did have to cut down a lot of trees to actually get a drop.

If you want to increase these probabilities, you can change the values inside RELXIX's blocks.xml, where it specifies prob=".01875" for example.

Thank you very much for testing the 2 mods together i bumbped up the numbers really high to confirm that it does indeed work i was just really unlucky before i messaged on the forum i have setting above what are default already and cut down like 200 trees and got nothing XD

13 minutes ago, pyro557 said:

Thank you very much for testing the 2 mods together i bumbped up the numbers really high to confirm that it does indeed work i was just really unlucky before i messaged on the forum i have setting above what are default already and cut down like 200 trees and got nothing XD

Well, glad it's working in the end :)

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, the ghost trees still exist, regardless of whether I only have the mod on them or whether I also reduce the trees in the biome. it's always when you look in a certain direction. you can see it even if you only see the shadow of the tree on the ground. oh yes, and dead tree seeds only have 50 points, which can be destroyed more quickly by the bush seeds.