Realistic electricity

Steel-axe

I've been messing about quite a bit with power in the game lately, and I'm really disappointed in how things connect or don't connect.

For instance, you can only have 1wire going to a power door. so you can wire a camera to the door to open when it sees you, but if you are on the other side of the door, the camera can not see you, and you can not wire a 2nd camera or even a switch to the door so you are basically stuck inside that room. the only way around that is to have multiple doors that lead to a room, one door to get in, another door to get out. instead, you should be able to wire 2 cameras to the same door.

you can already have multiple power lines leaving a device, such as a camera that triggers a door and a light.  why not let multiple power lines go to one device?

Yes.  For my garage, I used a pressure plate on one side and a camera on the other side.  For the wiring, I went from the relay to pressure plate to camera to door.  It works on either side (camera sees my vehicle pulls up and the door opens up - when I step on the pressure plate from the inside, the door opens up).

I had the same problem as well thats why i dont use caeras to open doors. but then again my currents base also has outter walls and drawbridges going over deep trenches with sexy TITANIUM blade traps (thanks to a mod) at the bottom of the trenches. However i think TFP could revolutionize the electricity @%$# by changing it to where instead u simply connect two electric fence posts to each other with wires the zombies walk through u can instead use the same electric fence posts to connect to chain link fences (solid blocks) to stop the zombies dead in their tracks as well as fry them

20 hours ago, katarynna said:

I believe you just need to wire camera to camera to door with nothing between the two cameras.

sadly this does not work, because in order for the 2nd camera to receive power, the 1st camera has to be triggered. so if you walk in front of the 1st camera, it will send power to the 2nd camera but not the door. and if you stand in front of the 2nd camera, it wont do anything because power stops at the 1st camera till it sees you.

20 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Yes.  For my garage, I used a pressure plate on one side and a camera on the other side.  For the wiring, I went from the relay to pressure plate to camera to door.  It works on either side (camera sees my vehicle pulls up and the door opens up - when I step on the pressure plate from the inside, the door opens up).

i tried this on my base but learned that vehicles do not trigger pressure plates. also, when i tried this, it didnt work because the camera only sends power to the door when the camera sees you, when you step on the plate, it will send power to the camera but not the door. and the camera will not work at all until you step on the plate to send it power.

I just tested generator bank>camera>camera>door and it works flawlessly.

I've also seen streamers use the same set up without issue.

I am not sure what you are doing differently, or if you have a mod that is breaking the system, but it absolutely works for me and for anyone else i have seen try it.

You should obtain logs and submit a bug report. Directions for obtaining logs are in the general support forums.

As for BFT2020's setup with a pressure plate instead, he specifically said he uses the pressure plate on the inside and steps on it. Even though vehicles do not trigger pressure plates, people do if it is set to target self.

26 minutes ago, Steel-axe said:

sadly this does not work, because in order for the 2nd camera to receive power, the 1st camera has to be triggered. so if you walk in front of the 1st camera, it will send power to the 2nd camera but not the door. and if you stand in front of the 2nd camera, it wont do anything because power stops at the 1st camera till it sees you.

You would be right if 7D2D were a simulation of reality. But electricity in this game works differently. Put 2 sensors in series and through the miracle of occult engineering both can turn on a device individually.

i tried this on my base but learned that vehicles do not trigger pressure plates. also, when i tried this, it didnt work because the camera only sends power to the door when the camera sees you, when you step on the plate, it will send power to the camera but not the door. and the camera will not work at all until you step on the plate to send it power.

I am not sure if above weird science works with different sensors as well, but I would have expected it. Your impression seems to hint that it doesn't, BFT say it does. Probably a retest would help.

9 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Put 2 sensors in series and through the miracle of occult engineering both can turn on a device individually.

I watched a video some time ago where they tried to build exactly this case here: A draw bridge that should be triggered by 2 cameras, one on each side.

It didn't work.

With 2 cameras in row, the second camera isn't powered at all and therefore never reacted to anything. However the second camera could somehow "put through" the signal from the first camera. So surprisingly at least the first camera worked, but the second did never.

Was this changed? Putting multiple switches in row is now an "OR"-Connection (agically "backtraces" through all off-switches and powers the ouput once a connection to a power source was found)?

Yeah, i know that electricity is considered done and will not be changed anymore, but the outcome is often really strange.

6 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I watched a video some time ago where they tried to build exactly this case here: A draw bridge that should be triggered by 2 cameras, one on each side.

It didn't work.

With 2 cameras in row, the second camera isn't powered at all and therefore never reacted to anything. However the second camera could somehow "put through" the signal from the first camera. So surprisingly at least the first camera worked, but the second did never.

Was this changed? Putting multiple switches in row is now an "OR"-Connection (agically "backtraces" through all off-switches and powers the ouput once a connection to a power source was found)?

Yeah, i know that electricity is considered done and will not be changed anymore, but the outcome is often really strange.

Two cameras not working in series would surely be considered a bug if all other sensors work that way.

5 hours ago, katarynna said:

As for BFT2020's setup with a pressure plate instead, he specifically said he uses the pressure plate on the inside and steps on it. Even though vehicles do not trigger pressure plates, people do if it is set to target self.

Katarynna got it correct.  My garage is setup where I walk around the vehicle and step on the pressure plate to get in. With the trigger set for 15 seconds of power after it is activated, I found that was more than enough time to get in and back up the vehicle outside of my base.

Personnally I didn’t go the camera camera route as the garage also serves as my dumping area for loot and my workshop/forge area.  I initially did but I would trigger the doors unloading at night and I got tired of dealing with zombies trying to get my stuff. 😉

Archived