Suggestions for the Level/Prefab editor

Rukminesh

I opened this tread to gather the suggestions for the built in Level/Prefab editor. With a little love it could be a much more effective tool to create.

The issues I have:
- No "Rename" or "Save As" option for prefabs.
- No option to redefine the keys for the editor.
- Impractical color for selection tool. (Blue arrow on a blue selected area. Should I say more?)
- Hard to manipulate the arrows for selected area. (They are small and slightly off)
- Poor method to rotate blocks . (It could be holding a key and move the mouse up-down, left-right. Maybe another to change the axis. Something fast & Simple)
- Essential, but not available block shapes. (This one could be a thread alone.)
- No grouping for blocks. (A real time waster going trough on pages just to find the shape from the desired material, or typing and memorizing the names I'm looking for. I could put only one from each material to my tool belt, chose the shape and just build. Like the wood frames work in game.
- Missing block shapes from a material what is existing in the other(s).
- Slow paint brush. (Painting single blocks should not be this slow in the editor. The brush could work faster or work like a constant ray.)
- No texture replacer. (One click and bang. Identical textures replaced in the whole prefab)
- Paint only in selected area.
- No option to color textures. (This could open up a lot of possibilities)

It may seem little but these things have a huge impact to speed up creations. I can tell it form 1500+ hours of practice.

31 minutes ago, Rukminesh said:

I opened this tread to gather the suggestions for the built in Level/Prefab editor. With a little love it could be a much more effective tool to create.

The issues I have:
- No "Rename" or "Save As" option for prefabs.
- No option to redefine the keys for the editor.
- Impractical color for selection tool. (Blue arrow on a blue selected area. Should I say more?)
- Hard to manipulate the arrows for selected area. (They are small and slightly off)
- Poor method to rotate blocks . (It could be holding a key and move the mouse up-down, left-right. Maybe another to change the axis. Something fast & Simple)
- Essential, but not available block shapes. (This one could be a thread alone.)
- No grouping for blocks. (A real time waster going trough on pages just to find the shape from the desired material, or typing and memorizing the names I'm looking for. I could put only one from each material to my tool belt, chose the shape and just build. Like the wood frames work in game.
- Missing block shapes from a material what is existing in the other(s).
- Slow paint brush. (Painting single blocks should not be this slow in the editor. The brush could work faster or work like a constant ray.)
- No texture replacer. (One click and bang. Identical textures replaced in the whole prefab)
- Paint only in selected area.
- No option to color textures. (This could open up a lot of possibilities)

It may seem little but these things have a huge impact to speed up creations. I can tell it form 1500+ hours of practice.

click save add a name then in the game prefab folder you can rename your poi to what you want.

Rotating blocks 2 ways - Hold left shift then z and the blue box will be inside of the block then press x til it is rotated correctly or how you like. 2nd method is hold a block in your hands and then hold shift and press x to rotate or you can also swap out a block with the one in your hand using this method as well.  by doing the above and clicking rmb.

To remove a block hold a block in your hand and left shift then lmb click

paint brush i use pilles super brush 

select texture on paint brush you wish to change a texture to then holding paintbrush hold down r a radial menu appears look for a book icon nw click on it then aim at the texture you want to replace in the poi and click paint all the texture of that same one will be replaced with the texture you chose. 

37 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

click save add a name then in the game prefab folder you can rename your poi to what you want.

Rotating blocks - Hold left shift then z and the blue box will be inside of the block then press x til it is rotated correctly or how you like. 

paint brush i use pilles super brush 

select texture on paint brush you wish to change a texture to then holding paintbrush hold down r a radial menu appears look for a book icon nw click on it then aim at the texture you want to replace in the poi and click paint all the texture of that same one will be replaced with the texture you chose. 

- I know I can rename manually but still an issue if you have a lot of prefabs and each of them have 6 names to change. I had to do that with the 6 pylon prefabs recently.

- Thank you let me know this method, I will use it. Still lot of clicking to get the block into the desired position in my opinion. I have a tendency to use lot of shapes and build complex things. I used to build in Empyrion, that had a better system for this.

- I will check that brush out, or maybe I try to edit the configs. There should be a way to speed it up. Either way, I need something faster.

- I must be really blind to miss completely the texture replacer. It could have saved me from hours of texturing today.... Thank you to find me that 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, stallionsden said:

How would you save a copy of an existing POI? Specifically, a copy of a vanilla POI that you want to use as a "starter" for your own POI?

6 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

How would you save a copy of an existing POI? Specifically, a copy of a vanilla POI that you want to use as a "starter" for your own POI?

1. You start a new prefab.

2. Select and use the "Load to Clipboard" on the bottom on the menu.

3. Then you can paste, save, on the name you want.

If I'm not mistaken the sleeper zones and few other things will be missing.

or

You make a copy of the existing prefab to a folder and rename it, then you copy back to the prefab folder. Then you have the original, + a copy under different name to modify.

45 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Hi @khzmusik

As @Rukminesh has stated perfectly. Easier way is to copy in the prefab folder and rename that way the volumes are still intact. 

But if you wanted it as a base without zs the  you would either do as Rukminesh mentioned or use pilles editor which has a remove volumes and remove all zs function.

1 hour ago, Rukminesh said:

1. You start a new prefab.

2. Select and use the "Load to Clipboard" on the bottom on the menu.

3. Then you can paste, save, on the name you want.

If I'm not mistaken the sleeper zones and few other things will be missing.

or

You make a copy of the existing prefab to a folder and rename it, then you copy back to the prefab folder. Then you have the original, + a copy under different name to modify.

Yeah, I was doing the copy-all-rename method. But it's a huget PITA, I was hoping there was some kind of hidden "save as..." feature in the POI editor. Oh well.

Thanks for answering though, appreciate it.

(EDIT: The thanks goes to you too, stallionsden.)

Archived