8k Map Not Loading

Tatia

This is a re-occurring issue for my household.    My husband and I play 7 Days to Die with various mods.    Every time we start a new mod or new map, we cannot get the game to download the 8k map.    Every time we play 7 Days to Die we have to have someone download the map for us and let us download it from them, then we have to put it where it goes before the game will run.

We truly need help figuring out why both of us are having this issue.   We just bought brand new computers:   16g ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz, graphics card:  Geforce RTX 2060     Our connection is a slower connection, but it is all we can get.   We have AT&T, our speed is 50g down and 6g up.   We have Norton 360 as our antivirus.   We have 7 Days on the accepted list.    We have even tried to load the game with the antivirus turned complete off.

Is there a port(s) we need to have open?   We are at our wits end trying to figure out why we have problems with ALL 8k maps.     We did get one of the maps work when we were able to play that map on a single player game, but that didn't work with the next map.    

Help!

Thank you!

Norton is one of the worst AV solutions you can have. It is most likely the reason for your trouble. You can't actually turn it off, and you require a special uninstaller just to actually get rid of it. (regular program uninstall won't actually do it.)

Also note that you will want to stay away from servers with a ping higher than 75ms.

Thank you for the reply.    Having it temporarily disabled is the best I can do, but should have been sufficient.    

The server we set up has a good ping under 50ms.

Any other ideas?   I just want to be able to download the map and play the game.  :(

One important test would be to find out if some Mod is the source of your problem:

1) Move your current install of 7D2D to somewhere else. You can still start that version from there if you first start steam, then change to that dir and start 7dlauncher.sh (or something similar)).

2) Redownload the vanilla game through steams "verify" (Right-click the game in steam -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify integrity of game files)

3) Try to find a vanilla server and check if you can download the game. Alternatively both of you do steps 1 and 2 and one of you plays server and the other one client to a vanilla (connect by using the IP address directly)

4a) If vanilla works, then add mods one by one until the bug happens again. The last mod you added should be at least part of the problem

4b) If vanilla doesn't work it is time to post the logfile (preferably of client and server). How to do that is explained in the sticky thread in this forum section that tells you to read it

Generally if you are often using mods or modded servers I would recommend using Mod Launcher (https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/4068-the-7d2d-mod-launcher-a-mod-launcher-for-7-days-to-die/) as that automates the management of modded games and you can always test something in vanilla if needed.

where is your server hosted?, you said you ping is 50ms, which isnt that bad, when downloading the map does it take more than 5 mins, and does it get to about 70% before it fails?

also as said above, remove norton

1 hour ago, Data said:

where is your server hosted?, you said you ping is 50ms, which isnt that bad, when downloading the map does it take more than 5 mins, and does it get to about 70% before it fails?

Oh, right, I was assuming that download doesn't start at all, but actually OP did not really give any details. @Tatia forget what I said before if the download actually starts but just doesn't complete. In that case mods would be unlikely to have a big influence on the problem.

3 hours ago, Data said:

We have our server hosted at Blue Fang Solutions.   

Let me explain about Norton.  My computer has Norton on it.   My husband's computer does not.    Both computers are freezing on the download of the map at 21%.   We let his computer run all night and it never came off the 21% and actually froze his screen.     This indicates it may not be an antivirus issue.

1 hour ago, Tatia said:

We have our server hosted at Blue Fang Solutions.   

Let me explain about Norton.  My computer has Norton on it.   My husband's computer does not.    Both computers are freezing on the download of the map at 21%.   We let his computer run all night and it never came off the 21% and actually froze his screen.     This indicates it may not be an antivirus issue.

Sound reasoning.

That it always stops at 21% is speaking against it being a network issue.

Unless someone calls out he knows exactly what 21% means, it is high time to post logfiles now (step 4b of my list). From client and server if possible.

Log files will help here. Screen freezing may be a red herring, if a program is just sitting there doing seemingly nothing for even a small moment Windows will assume it's frozen and grant you that "this program isn't responding" and ask you to kill it when in reality it may be fine lol.

2.9ghz is a little on the slow side but is fine, what I'm wondering is what kind of ram and storage devices do you have in those? A dxdiag will do if you don't know how to find detailed information (Start > run [or search] > dxdiag > save all information). Prebuilts a lot of times put really cheap storage and ram in systems (sometimes motherboards too but I digress lol), not all the time but I've seen it happen enough times.

I'd make sure most bloatware is turned off (i.e. the plethora of *insert brand name* programs that start with boot); make sure ALL anti virus is turned off Norton or not (As Sylen said, if it's Norton or most other AV brands now, uninstalling it won't even turn it off: they leave tiny processes in the background that still do things and requires registry hacking to get rid of), Windows defender is fine; turn EAC off then try again. This time when you try, let the game run for a bit until something happens like a crash or boot to main menu then snag the log file for us to look at.

Note that EAC will, if you take too long downloading a map which - usually - is caused by packet dropping/loss but may just be speed, kick and even give you a temp ban. I'm leaning on this, and for some reason your game isn't properly going back to the main menu with the kick message in the console.

4 hours ago, Data said:

EAC protection

That is turned off.

4 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Also note, if your husband doesn't have Norton, what does he have? If you say "nothing", then he has Windows Defender, which is equally as bad.

Are you using Wifi?

You are correct.    I will check his Windows Defender.   I find it odd that both are stopping at the same spot.

No, we are hard wired into our router.

4 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Log files will help here. Screen freezing may be a red herring, if a program is just sitting there doing seemingly nothing for even a small moment Windows will assume it's frozen and grant you that "this program isn't responding" and ask you to kill it when in reality it may be fine lol.

2.9ghz is a little on the slow side but is fine, what I'm wondering is what kind of ram and storage devices do you have in those? A dxdiag will do if you don't know how to find detailed information (Start > run [or search] > dxdiag > save all information). Prebuilts a lot of times put really cheap storage and ram in systems (sometimes motherboards too but I digress lol), not all the time but I've seen it happen enough times.

I'd make sure most bloatware is turned off (i.e. the plethora of *insert brand name* programs that start with boot); make sure ALL anti virus is turned off Norton or not (As Sylen said, if it's Norton or most other AV brands now, uninstalling it won't even turn it off: they leave tiny processes in the background that still do things and requires registry hacking to get rid of), Windows defender is fine; turn EAC off then try again. This time when you try, let the game run for a bit until something happens like a crash or boot to main menu then snag the log file for us to look at.

Note that EAC will, if you take too long downloading a map which - usually - is caused by packet dropping/loss but may just be speed, kick and even give you a temp ban. I'm leaning on this, and for some reason your game isn't properly going back to the main menu with the kick message in the console.

I have always thought it was because we are on a slower connection that it is timing out, therefore getting us kicked.   I wish there was a way to verify that.    I feel that is the case because both computers are experiencing the same error.   EAC is turned off.

As I stated previously, we are finally in the game, but only because a close friend sent me the map file to download and place where it goes.    

I am the one that has the hosting account at Blue Fang Solutions.   

Your output log should tell us if that's happening or not.. either way it should help diagnose it anyway. Server output log would help, too. If you don't feel like truncating info such as server password just PM it to one or all of us. Pastebin works wonders. And, for reference, you can also just generate the map on your own using the same seed and size before connecting to the server.

15 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Your output log should tell us if that's happening or not.. either way it should help diagnose it anyway. Server output log would help, too. If you don't feel like truncating info such as server password just PM it to one or all of us. Pastebin works wonders. And, for reference, you can also just generate the map on your own using the same seed and size before connecting to the server.

I am not quite sure how to post my dxdiag (if that is what you mean by log) and I don't know where to get the log off the server.   I can wipe all the private info.

How do you generate the map on my own?   We tried using the map for a single player game and that worked once but never again.

4 hours ago, Tatia said:

I am not quite sure how to post my dxdiag (if that is what you mean by log) and I don't know where to get the log off the server.   I can wipe all the private info.

How do you generate the map on my own?   We tried using the map for a single player game and that worked once but never again.

Full instructions are in the Pinned thread on how to report an issue.

4 hours ago, Jugginator said:

If you don't feel like truncating info such as server password just PM it to one or all of us.

I believe this has been removed by default from the logs for a few builds now. Even the IP is now obfusticated.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Full instructions are in the Pinned thread on how to report an issue.

I feel horribly ignored now since I asked for logs and pointed to instructions twice now 😩. Oh well, what do I expect with a profile picture like mine 😉

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

I believe this has been removed by default from the logs for a few builds now. Even the IP is now obfusticated.

Passwords are not shown in the log. If they still were, I would mention that as unforgiveable each and every time I'd ask someone for posting a logfile 😉

Just out of curiosity:
You mention that every time you start a new map it fails to download said map, for all 8k maps.

Does that mean you only ever generated 8k maps, or have there been - apart from once - other maps that failed or did not fail to download ( Navezgane, PREGEN0X, 4k, 6k, whatever)?

Not trying to derail, so here is the mandatory disclaimer: and, of course, logs!

I rent from Bluefangs as well. The server log we need to see is called log.txt in the main directory of your server. Unfortunately, with Bluefang, every time you stop then start the server, it overwrites the previous log. Ideally, you would download the log file right after attempting to download an 8k map. 

6 hours ago, Star69 said:

I rent from Bluefangs as well. The server log we need to see is called log.txt in the main directory of your server. Unfortunately, with Bluefang, every time you stop then start the server, it overwrites the previous log. Ideally, you would download the log file right after attempting to download an 8k map. 

Thank you!  I have been looking through all the files to try to find the right file.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:35 AM, uncle.heavy said:

Just out of curiosity:
You mention that every time you start a new map it fails to download said map, for all 8k maps.

Does that mean you only ever generated 8k maps, or have there been - apart from once - other maps that failed or did not fail to download ( Navezgane, PREGEN0X, 4k, 6k, whatever)?

Not trying to derail, so here is the mandatory disclaimer: and, of course, logs!

Great question!    No, I usually don't have a problem loading a smaller map when not using a mod.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:30 AM, meganoth said:

I feel horribly ignored now since I asked for logs and pointed to instructions twice now 😩. Oh well, what do I expect with a profile picture like mine 😉

Passwords are not shown in the log. If they still were, I would mention that as unforgiveable each and every time I'd ask someone for posting a logfile 😉

I am so sorry!  I never meant to ignore you.  :(

8 hours ago, Tatia said:

Log from my computer:

https://pastebin.com/embed_iframe/LzwKsDXp

Log from the server:

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/kdTMQjbe

I hope I did that correctly.  I removed all the IPs and User IDs that I could find.

Were these logs helpful at all?

1 hour ago, Tatia said:

Were these logs helpful at all?

Yes, your server log shows the server is running the Undead Legacy mod, while your client machine is not. This won't work.

The mod needs to be on both the client and the server to work. Or removed.

Just now, Beelzybub said:

Yes, your server log shows the server is running the Undead Legacy mod, while your client machine is not. This won't work.

The mod needs to be on both the client and the server to work. Or removed.

The mod is running on my computer.  I am running 7 Days to Die from the 7D2D Mod Launcher.

Archived