Zombie "slider"

Slaasher

I'm sorry if I am dragging out a horse that has already been beaten to death but it occurred to me that it would be great to have # quantity sliders for zombies as an option for the games.

Particularly for the wandering hordes that you run into occasionally.

I realize that having huge hordes of zombies as a standard setting might be hard on a lot of people's rigs but is it possible to have a qty slider that you could play with until you found what your machine could handle?

I understand that there are mods for this sort of thing but as a general rule I try to stay away from mods in my games.

Has there been discussion on this in the past?

There have been discussions. There also have been discussions about 200 other sliders and options people want 😁

There is a good chance a few further options will make it into the game (I remember a dev saying something like this), and such a zombie slider is probably high on the list.

Changing the quantities in the spawning.xml isn't the type of "untrustworthy" modding that changes dangerous code and risks the integrity of your game files.

Changing the quanties in that xml file is akin to....wait for it....adjusting a slider.

44 minutes ago, Roland said:

Changing the quanties in that xml file is akin to....wait for it....adjusting a slider.

But there's no bar...no sliding. That's crazy talk.

Next you'll be telling us that messing with a .cfg file is like adjusting a dial.

Pfff.

-Morloc

Sliders will go down this route: New player will log on, see the slider and say "hmm how many zombies do I want in a zombie game? of course all of them!" Crank the slider up to 110% on their i3, 620 rig. Get in game and run at -1 fps.. Come on the forums to complain about how this game is terrible and runs like crap, get a crusade of lovers of the game to come into the forum to defend it, and finally ending with the player complaining about how sliders shouldnt exist if their computer can't handle it...

It's always going to be put on the devs to do work others can already do. Also to note.. when do sliders stop? Generic zombies slider.. Well that would mean all zombies, including the cops, radiated, vultures, etc. So then people would want individual zombie sliders so they can remove the ones they dislike. Well we're right back to where modding the xmls would work right this second without a slider.. So.. idk. I dont see why people think a slider will fix their problems with the game. Modding can already do it. Sit down one weekend and learn some modding. It's great.

1 hour ago, Morloc said:

no sliding.

Watch what the hand resting on your mouse is doing as you scroll down the xml file and click and drag on numbers to highlight them before replacing them with new numbers.

#slidehappens

54 minutes ago, Telric said:

Modding can already do it. Sit down one weekend and learn some modding. It's great.

Let's not call it "modding". Let's call it "adjusting the advanced settings". Some people swear never to mod their game but everyone likes to play around with advanced settings....

HOW TO OPEN ADVANCED SETTINGS

Start the game

Click on Show Game Launcher

Click on tools

Click on Open Game Folder

Click on Data

Click on Config

Click on Spawning

Open with Notepad

Slide or dial the numbers next to the "spawn maxcount =" up by two or three for each listed biome for zombies.

Decide if you want to do the same for animals.

Save and close the advanced setting menu

Close everything and then start the game

MOAR ZOMBIES

MAYBE MOAR ANIMALS

You didn't just mod. You only adjusted the advanced settings.

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

What people don't realize is... the more modders out there = the more diverse content with different ideas and implementations to choose from, allowing this sandbox game to be playable for years to come. Taking a weekend or two to learn some simple xml edits might end up giving you an idea for a whole new form of mod that isn't out yet. You could be a pioneer of that area of modding. As an example, me and a guy got to talkin a long while ago. We exchanged ideas, and that eventually led to him creating sittable furniture. Something that everyone would love to have in this game. He saw a hole where content could be, and he went for it and created it. Sadly i haven't seen him around in ages, but his modding vehicles to be sittable furniture has expanded other modder's ideas as well. So for the love of god people, learn xml modding. It's great for your brain as well as the community! Lol...

On 3/4/2021 at 9:16 PM, Slaasher said:

I'm sorry if I am dragging out a horse that has already been beaten to death but it occurred to me that it would be great to have # quantity sliders for zombies as an option for the games.

Particularly for the wandering hordes that you run into occasionally.

I realize that having huge hordes of zombies as a standard setting might be hard on a lot of people's rigs but is it possible to have a qty slider that you could play with until you found what your machine could handle?

I understand that there are mods for this sort of thing but as a general rule I try to stay away from mods in my games.

Has there been discussion on this in the past?

too-many-choices-not-sure-where-to-start_large.jpg?v=1515540286

Archived