Suggestion: Allow Beds as Bedrolls?

DapperPaperBag

Hey, 

I understand that there are other things that will take priority. But, I'm a builder and decorator in this game.
I was wondering if it would be possible to have beds function like bedrolls? I'm tired of having a beautiful bed, with 

a bedroll laying next to it. 

It's something that has always bothered me as other survival games allow it. 
I love this game, I just want to have a nice comfy bed to wake up on!

Edited by DapperPaperBag
(Setting Prefix and tags) (see edit history)

Shame beds and mattresses do not have a "sleep on" animated interaction (any movement key to stand). This could cure Fatigue debuff and grant a Bedrest (MaxHealth + MaxStamina trickle-regen) buff and a Prone (all attacks on you auto-crit) debuff while you use them. Would provide another option for early game night activity and people might actually start using them for more than just decor...

Edit: Looks like someone already modded furniture animations in for A18, so the tough part of this is figured out - but needs to be updated:

Sittable Furnitures A18 by Moong Oignonchaud

Edited by Cernwn (see edit history)

TFP have said they will not introduce sleeping into the game, since it is too difficult to make it work in multi player. (Maybe possible but too much work to be worth it.)

Also, beds do act as spawn points, but only player-crafted beds. Maybe that was the cause of the confusion?

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

TFP have said they will not introduce sleeping into the game, since it is too difficult to make it work in multi player. (Maybe possible but too much work to be worth it.)

Doesn't need to be real sleep. Some mods do implement e.g. stamina regen and/or healing while standing on a (your?) bedroll.

Imho there could be a real additional use, especially for real beds.

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Also, beds do act as spawn points, but only player-crafted beds. Maybe that was the cause of the confusion?

I guess it's not necessarily player-crafted, but player places, and since you can not pick up whole beds, not even your own one, it confuses players.

Not being able to pick them (at least your own one) up is especially anoying if you use multiple bases and want to switch your spawn point between them.

At least an interaction to "activate" a specific bed would be very usefull.

Currently you always need to dismantle a bed, craft a new one, place it again.

4 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Doesn't need to be real sleep. Some mods do implement e.g. stamina regen and/or healing while standing on a (your?) bedroll.

Imho there could be a real additional use, especially for real beds.

I guess it's not necessarily player-crafted, but player places, and since you can not pick up whole beds, not even your own one, it confuses players.

Not being able to pick them (at least your own one) up is especially anoying if you use multiple bases and want to switch your spawn point between them.

At least an interaction to "activate" a specific bed would be very usefull.

Currently you always need to dismantle a bed, craft a new one, place it again.

Ah, so time passes normally, you're just sitting on your bed/bedroll?

The Starvation mod did this, so it almost certainly can be modded in now as well. But it's not actually all that fun in my experience, and there are probably a lot of players who would agree. So I don't think it would be appropriate for the vanilla game.

I've never crafted a bed, so I didn't know they can't be picked up. I agree that would be nice. Is it possible to pick them up if you place an LCB next to them? (Not that this is a great solution, but it might be a workaround.)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:28 PM, khzmusik said:

Sir, do you have a moment? I'd like to tell you about the joy of Minecraft! Well, joking aside, this is pretty much perfectly solved in Minecraft and Valheim: in order to fast forward to the morning, everyone must sleep at the same time. A status message should be shown (similar to someone joining) when someone sleeps. Both these games also have a "you cannot sleep, there are monsters nearby" mechanic preventing using sleeping to avoid danger.

Night time can be extremely boring, especially in the early game when it's too dangerous to venture out and your base is small. Later on, venturing out at night is an option and the base also is typically safer and bigger, so there's usually something to build/decorate.

Apart from sleeping, Valheim also has a resting mechanism affected by comfort level. I think having base quality (shelter, warmth, furniture) grant a stamina/health regen boost would make sense.

Just now, EastCitySurvivor said:

Both these games also have a "you cannot sleep, there are monsters nearby" mechanic preventing using sleeping to avoid danger.

Also, I think in 7D2D it would be fitting if there was a random chance, based on game stage, enemy proximity, base heat level and such, that sleep is interrupted by enemies attacking the base.

Edited by EastCitySurvivor (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, khzmusik said:

OK, implement them in single player than?

On 7/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, EastCitySurvivor said:

Well, joking aside, this is pretty much perfectly solved in Minecraft and Valheim: in order to fast forward to the morning, everyone must sleep at the same time.

That could theoretically work for single-player (i.e. game with one player) or a co-op game where all players would agree to sleep at the same time. It wouldn't work in multiplayer.

On 10/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, meganoth said:

There is no real single player anymore. SP is just MP with one player only.

The feature could work when there is just one player online. Or when everyone is in the same team and in bed. Otherwise, the feature would be inactive.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, Geoarrge said:

They should add a "Pillow" item that lets you claim an unowned bed.

Or, as an alternative suggestion, let you drop a bedroll onto a bed to claim the bed. They could perhaps change the appearance so that the bed looked like it had a sleeping bag on it. Then, they could let you retrieve the bedroll off of the bed just as you would retrieve a bedroll on the ground.