What I dislike in 7Days2Die - A veteran's viewpoint

TheSurvival

Greetings,

I have been playing 7Days2Die on and off since it was born and while I have seen the game rise and fall, the current version and the way it is going I would say it is at its worst right now.

Wanna know why? Stamina.

Yes, the stamina system in this game is messed up, it's terrible, it's bad, it's horrendous, gosh, this game is @%$#ing me off.

I started a fresh map to try out the new Alpha 19 and I was hoping it will bring great things to the game, while it added a few things, it also made it horrible in a number of ways. Firstly my stamina dropped to 50% cap on the third day, why you may ask? No reason. 

Yes, that's right, no reason. I kept my character fed and happy but my stamina dropped, probably because I was getting tired from all the mining, understandable. The next day, I ran out of food, hunted a few hundred deer and would you look at that, I can cook 10 grilled meat with my 100 raw meat! Fantastic! Time to eat it. Huh? It only fills 1% of my hunger? What? I am starving after eating 5 deer? What? My stamina is now 0?

Fantastic game, great game. Oh and let's not talk about how zombies on Day 7 now break through your concrete wall and electric traps like it's butter.

Stamina summed up in this game:

Got a scratch? Lose some stamina.

Go a sprain? Lose some stamina.

Broke your arm? Lose some stamina.

Hungry? Lose some stamina.

Thirsty? Lose some stamina.

Infected? Lose some stamina.

Fatigue? Lose a lot of stamina.

Concussion? Lose some stamina.

Run for too long? Lose some stamina. (Fair)

The list goes on and on and on.

And what's funny is that you can easily get all of these effects at the same time, easily. And once you do take care of all of them your stamina cap is still 50. Because why not? It takes time, okay. Well.

Also, can someone explain me why you cannot jump while low on stamina? Who would rather chose to die in a survival situation because they couldn't jump out the window when they needed it? Come on Fun Pimps, fix this.

Thank you,

Lose some stamina.

youve only made 1 post, and your logged in with the name, survival, ok so not really survivng then, but anyway

ok ill bite

“can someone explain me why you cannot jump while low on stamina?”

Erm…stamina

When you get out of bed in the morning can you run a 25k marathon within 5 minutes of getting up?

No!!

Oh wait stamina

Body need to grow stamina

You got injured so body needs to repair, takes a funny inbuilt system called stamina

Everything you do isn’t down to strength but the ability to maintain it, it’s called stamina

This isn’t call of duty where you can just run around indefinitely

Learn the game

• SylenThunder changed the title to What I dislike in 7Days2Die - A veteran's viewpoint

Take a break and come back later.  It works.  I've done it.

I've gotten more hours of play out of this game than any other game in my playing history (40 years or so now) except MMORPGs (damn you EQ1 and EQ2, to name two).  Is it still worth complaining about the bad things?  Sure!  TFP, like any other respectable game maker, appreciates constructive criticism as much as praise, sometimes more.  Living in the bubble of your creation can make your vision cloudy at times and outside viewpoints can save you from your own vision of a game, so to speak.

The BEST feature of this game is that it will not be just one game when it is done.  The modders are welcome to come in and completely change things to give the community an entirely different take on things.

Imagine a Just Cause version of 7DTD.  It might be possible. 

Or maybe a Kingdom of Loathing version?  That would be weird...

Hell, even a Minecraft version could be possible.  Not that I'd ever ask for that.

Point is that it can and will change and eventually, for anyone that actually wants it, there will be a version of the game just for you.  It might even be the vanilla version that suits you best.  I have never looked at this game as some static thing that needs to change some specific quality.  It changes with each release and with my motivations to change it.  It's a sandbox that I keep building in but feel I can leave at any time to go play on the swing set or merry-go-round if I want.

Firstly my stamina dropped to 50% cap on the third day, why you may ask? No reason. 

Lies.

probably because I was getting tired from all the mining, understandable.

Nope, read your character buff status to understand everything you need.

It only fills 1% of my hunger?

Lies again (or maybe you just can't read)

how zombies on Day 7 now break through your concrete wall and electric traps like it's butter.

They are supposed to be a threat. If you can't make a good base, that's a you problem.

And once you do take care of all of them your stamina cap is still 50. Because why not? It takes time, okay. Well.

If you have not realized yet, 7 days to die is a hard game. You said you were a veteran but you still have a lot to learn it seems.

Also, can someone explain me why you cannot jump while low on stamina? Who the @%$# would rather chose to die in a survival situation because they couldn't jump out the window when they needed it?

If you reach 0 stamina, you can't jump/sprint for a few seconds. Its your fault if you can't manage your stamina.

Seems like you just suck at the game. You can't even understand how stamina works: if you get debuffs, your max stamina is affected. Plain and simple.

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

Take a break and come back later.  It works.  I've done it.

I've gotten more hours of play out of this game than any other game in my playing history (40 years or so now) except MMORPGs (damn you EQ1 and EQ2, to name two).  Is it still worth complaining about the bad things?  Sure!  TFP, like any other respectable game maker, appreciates constructive criticism as much as praise, sometimes more.  Living in the bubble of your creation can make your vision cloudy at times and outside viewpoints can save you from your own vision of a game, so to speak.

The BEST feature of this game is that it will not be just one game when it is done.  The modders are welcome to come in and completely change things to give the community an entirely different take on things.

Imagine a Just Cause version of 7DTD.  It might be possible. 

Or maybe a Kingdom of Loathing version?  That would be weird...

Hell, even a Minecraft version could be possible.  Not that I'd ever ask for that.

Point is that it can and will change and eventually, for anyone that actually wants it, there will be a version of the game just for you.  It might even be the vanilla version that suits you best.  I have never looked at this game as some static thing that needs to change some specific quality.  It changes with each release and with my motivations to change it.  It's a sandbox that I keep building in but feel I can leave at any time to go play on the swing set or merry-go-round if I want.

probably another guy that couldnt dominate and didnt like it because half of what he was saying i have a feeling he wasnt telling us everything as stamina does drop by half for no reason and he clearly doesnt know the recipes 100 meat makes 20 grilled meat not 10 he probably played 2 days and quit not knowing anything at all

If you are a veteran in this game, then I am an Undead god (5000+ hours).  I have Zero issues with stamina.  The game makes Stanima in early game an ISSUE for a reason, to make you THINK of ways to deal with it efficiently and find ways to reduced the stamina loss with specific tasks you do.  Stamina draining while wearing armor... rank up light or heavy armor perk and add custom fittings; stamina draining using tools... rank up Sexy Tyrannosaurus  and add ergonomic handle mod; Running a lot like you are in DayZ... stop sprinting 24/7 pace yourself or rank up Cardio.  And a beginner player should always get 1 rank in Master Chef so you can gather  Chrysanthemums, eggs and hunt for meat, find a pot then you can make Bacon and eggs and red tea to give you the best eatin' results early on.

As for not defending yourself on default game settings in 7 days to die and getting your veteran made defendable base up on day 7, I just don't know what to say to that to be honest ...

As had been pointed out, your numbers do not add up: got the recipe wrong, the effect of eating said meals, attributing stamina loss to debuffs that simply do not come with that effect - and in general describing the stamina situation like it was still A18 ( or was ist A17?).

Options in my view are:

- your game is bugged. Maybe clean out your game files.

- while you're at it, delete all mods; maybe some old ones are still hanging around. If your description pertains to playing on someone else's server, complain to them: it's modded.

- you left out lots of circumstantial factors

- you described events very liberally for the effect of poignancy, which seizes to helpful - at the very latest - as soon as precise numbers are coming into play

Tho im not a vet at the game i do have some thinks i dislike. but i still overall love the game even if i don't play too often sense my PC is Equal to a toaster now but the things i dislike Some are nit picks and some are Large problems

1: the Old skill tree, yes i know but i kinda like 7dtd old skill system over the new one, its not bad its just, Generic. it was like how Fallouts old skill system was to fallout 4. its much more Basic and generic. I loved LBD but it did have problems like the endless crafting of stone axes but i think it would be cool if they mixed some LBD skills and hard skills. Shooting would be LBD but crafting is a skill. Repairing would be a LDB or a Skill, Scavenging is a LDB but you can have skills and perks and Books. 

2: Classes: When i first played 7dtd on console. i had to scavenge everything and make uses of whatever weapon i had, even if it was a Axre. Now it more Class bases. 
i like it but at the same time. early game rather then Needing a Bow no matter what, you could find a gun or soon make one, without much issue or downgrades 
(more of a pet pev then anything i like games when skill are natural over artificial like "Buff Pistol pett to be better with Pistols" 

2/2 Crafting with classes. at first i thought it was a neat idea to have crafting based off you're skill tree rather then Int but i don't know why i don't like it. something about it makes me go. oh well i need to stick with this. maybe its cuz im getting older and not having as much of a Explore attitude anymore.

3/1: Lack of Zombies Specialty's . I know it would be kinda hard for this game but i wish zombies had more.... Viratity in everything. Like maybe zombie zombies will try to charge at you, some will uses claws/hands more then bite, some are more Nippy then others, zombies roar to lure more nearby, some could spawn with a missing arm, Crawlers can leap at you if Feral Etc. but tbh for normal zombies if they added a few new melee animations and some new sounds i would be happy. 

3/2: Special zombies: I like what they are doing with A20 with the gasser and fire zombie but more would always be great! like radioactive zombies that take the roles of all the radioactive zombies, so they could run heal deal more damage and Deal Rad damage, Maybe a healing zombie or a Buffer. some ranged zombies, and some zombies that can uses melee weapons or objects like players, like Axes, knives Etc. just some more types would be nice. And hell why not at a More Slow but tanky zombie like a Juggernaut that can be found Mostly outside and large POIs

4: Lack of traps. tbh the only traps i uses are seem handy are Blade traps and shock traps. Dart traps are mhmm. turrets are ok, but Mines are simi costly and only kill 1 zombie most of the time. spikes are boring and I think some more traps would be nice. Go crazy! Flingers to Yeet zombies and break their legs, Bear traps, Flamethrowers, Tesla traps, Trip wires ETC! and some of the triggers are rather. Unbalanced. i think some of the switches should be more locked, Like the first one you unlock Ever will be tripwire sense anyone and there mother could make one, then Pressure plates, Switches and with a Blueprint only Sensor sense i really only uses those an they are very easy to place. it makes sense not everyone can make a camera

5: Lack of WildLife Diversity: a small one but i think some more animals should spawn in more biomes. Like Mountain lions can Spawn in Snow, desert and forest. Coyotes can spawn in forest, Burnt forest, snow and deserts. 

6: Lack of Punishment from the land. whoever gets the Poops anymore?  though so. its stupid hard to do it. Water is very easy to get and even drink nasty swamp water does little to nothing. Eating raw meat does not give much. and weather is. just not harmful. theres no Event/weather that makes you go. OH no! its just. oh rain lol cool. 

Suggestions? Add some more issues when scavenging for food water. like some water could have Radiation and makes you loses max health, food and water. eatting raw meat makes you sick and could make you die and More Harsher weather. like Thunderstorms have more zombies roaming sense Sound!

7: Some more car models for craftable cars. Like when you place down you're 4X4 you can turn it into a Makeshift sudan, a Truck, a buggy or the jeep. Motorcycle you can get rid of the spikes if you want. just like the Block menu  

Nit Picks

• Wish we had a Generic zombie model that could just a template for everything, kinda like the burnt zombie and clawer, they are so Rotten that all their identity is gone. 
  • kinda liked the more rotten zombies over the fresh ones, like Big mama vs Steve. they look like they come from two different times or the Party girl Vs Any other zombie, aka i don't like fresh zombies at least add some grey skin or more boils and scars. 
  • the Influence of 7.62, its used in too many things IMO. Snipers and ARs. if it was up to me. i would make a Special round for Snipers (308 or something) so it makes the dependability of the round less. 
  • Mines: not many are different, they are Mostly the same. i think it should be "Junk mines" where each one to place are random looking like cooking pots and others. and then some Better Mines like Fire mines and then Military mines  
  • Lack of different cars. does everyone in this world drive sedans? there's no jeeps, trucks. no creepy vans or SUVs. Not Fancy cars just. everyone has same car..  A19 and A20 are doing nice with this with the Army truck, work trucks and Weewoo wagons. 
  • Salvage tools: they seem to harvest the same just different looks. 

REALLY Small nitpicks no one cares about
  • The Scope on the Hunting rifle makes no sense. it should be on the side. no the far end of the barral unless it was a Reflex sight.
  • AK scopes should be on the back like the Sniper rifle. 
  • Moes eyes are red while the others are white or Bloodshot white. 
  • Bears runs funny and can't help but to laugh (in fact almost all animals do)
  • The junk drone should not be able to fly. if they added 2 extra fans on it and put them on each corner end then it could. 
  • Bikes are yellow. why!
  • Lumberjacks should be defrosted 
  • the Teeth of the business zombie looks too good. 
  • Bright color clothes on zombies, Like Steve, Darlein, Bigmama, and lab worker. should be Darker but same color. 

thats all i can think of. 11/10 game 

20 hours ago, TheSurvival said:

Also, can someone explain me why you cannot jump while low on stamina?

Jumping requires an amount of stamina in order to execute just like a power attack. You may not be completely empty of stamina but if you are lower than the cost it requires to jump or do a power attack then you can't do those actions. It's like currency. This is pretty standard for any game such as this. It requires that you manage your stamina useage.

My suspicion is that you are wearing heavy armor. Get rid of it and go with light armor. If your playstyle is to jump around and avoid, then use the appropriate gear for how you play and you will have few (if any) stamina issues.

3 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

Its so entertaining when someone @%$#es about the game while they dont know what they're talking about, or actually playing it properly, and then get totally dismantled by those you actually know about it.

Careful, you're messing with a veteran of the game.

There are berries in literally every shrub for miles.   Or, you can tame a Moschops (you dont need a saddle) and let it do all the local gathering FOR you.

(if you get this post, kudos.  If not, go play ARK)

And that's precisely how I feel about the OP in terms of relevancy.

Honestly, my gripe, since I started playing this game in 2016 or something -- is that it feels....stiff. Everything from movement to shooting or hitting zombies, everything kinda just feels like mannequins. Im not going to agree with OP, but I will say this. Stam does seem to be particularly difficult to manage in this version, than in other versions ive played. But that is probably by design. It would be pretty cool if the player, zombie and NPC models didnt feel like HL1 models(actually I think even those moved more fluidly), but its a different type of game and not everything is scripted -- so...probably pretty difficult to accomplish. 

Claims he's a 7d2d veteran and been around since it was "born", yet he has no evidence to back anything nor does he have any presence at all here in the forums. New account in my experience usually always means new guy making assumptions and demands after only a few hours of gameplay. Borderline troll not worth reading / responding to in my opinion.

Show us your Original Survivor badge, then you can make claims about being around since the very beginning. Until then, don't be making false claims.

On 2/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, TheSurvival said:

The next day, I ran out of food, hunted a few hundred deer and would you look at that, I can cook 10 grilled meat with my 100 raw meat! Fantastic! Time to eat it. Huh? It only fills 1% of my hunger? What? I am starving after eating 5 deer? What?

Agreed here. Meat harvested from critters SHOULD directly correlate to their mass/weight (both values found in XML) and your hunting (field dressing) or butchering skill. Meat wasted when cooking a single portion size of any food, should be inversely relative to your cooking skill, plus any bonuses from tools and cooking surface.

On 2/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, TheSurvival said:

Oh and let's not talk about how zombies on Day 7 now break through your concrete wall and electric traps like it's butter.

Agreed here. Only brutes, bosses, or acid spitters should even be able to damage stone, let alone metal or reinforced concrete. Players should not be able to strike harder materials without injuring themselves or severely damaging the implement used. Hardness is one of my greatest pet peeves about 7 Days. AFAIK only the True Survival mod by Spider has even tried to fix it.

Thanks for this most entertaining and humorous post! As others above have stated, perking into Sexual T-Rex, and using lower tier tools may help your situation, at least until you figure out the system or level up. 7 Days is far from perfect release game, but is changing all the time. Let's just hope TFP learn from past mistakes and like the popular title Valheim, re-integrate LBD or some version thereof.

TLDR; Ignore the fanbois hate, and remember to swap hands to conserve stamina 😜 Cheers!

18 minutes ago, Cernwn said:

Agreed here. Meat harvested from critters SHOULD directly correlate to their mass/weight (both values found in XML) and your hunting (field dressing) or butchering skill. Meat wasted when cooking a single portion size of any food, should be inversely relative to your cooking skill, plus any bonuses from tools and cooking surface.

Agreed here. Only brutes, bosses, or acid spitters should even be able to damage stone, let alone metal or reinforced concrete. Players should not be able to strike harder materials without injuring themselves or severely damaging the implement used. Hardness is one of my greatest pet peeves about 7 Days. AFAIK only the True Survival mod by Spider has even tried to fix it.

Thanks for this most entertaining and humorous post! As others above have stated, perking into Sexual T-Rex, and using lower tier tools may help your situation, at least until you figure out the system or level up. 7 Days is far from perfect release game, but is changing all the time. Let's just hope TFP learn from past mistakes and like the popular title Valheim, re-integrate LBD or some version thereof.

TLDR; Ignore the fanbois hate, and remember to swap hands to conserve stamina 😜 Cheers!

agreed from what i take from OP's post he probably didnt even spend spend a full real life week playing the game as i have said dont knock something until you give it a fair chance :)

Hate to tell it to you, but it seems you suck at this game. I never had a problem with managing my stamina in the game. Use it wisely and be smart about when you use it. Even then in late game, the OP perks make your stamina practically godlike. I can run and power attack with a sledge at the same time without/barely losing any stamina now.

You're all min/maxing to one degree or another and that's fine for awhile. 

However you should try the road less traveled!  The "Unprepared" way!   I used to read apocalypses books where the hero was super, duper, lucky, gifted and talented.  Boring.

That all changed when I picked up "Unprepared" by Tom Abrahams.  What do the heroes do on Day 1?  They get drunk because they don't think it's THAT bad.

I will not spoil the rest of this gem.  Its rated 4.12/5 but I think its because it doesn't follow the yellow brick road, so to speak.  They're just normal, average guys.  

:)

wait till gold before whinging about a game thats not finished. there are 3 things that i would like to see given some love. 

1 raining inside a building. 

2 water, i know some fixes are coming thanks Fataal

3 the gap between dirt and a placed block. 

none game breaking .

i do think adams idea of some things having LBD is good shooting,guns or bows, and scavenging are probably all thats needed but a few others would be nice too. just leave crafting out . not that i ever crafted a thousand axes to get better axes, its too boring.

@Aldranon thanks for the book recommendation will have to pick that up soon.  

I just want the buildings to stop floating.  I hate it when I can see that 1/4 gap between the bottom of the building and the ground.

Well that and water fixes.  ^^ not raining inside a building with a ceiling, would be a great start ^^

Archived