Appropriate Slope for Roads?

zztong

I like to make, or improve, roads around the map. When it comes to changing elevation the variations on the "Wedge" blocks seem to be the most gentle slope. But what I'm finding is that the grade of the slope is still not gentle enough to keep 4x4's and motorcycles from colliding with the blocks, doing damage, and sometimes launching the vehicle into the air.

I'm wondering, is there a more appropriate block? Is there a series of blocks with a more gentle slope?

I did something for my base since it was up one block, but I can't recall the name of the shapes.  What I did was a combination of two shapes to get up the height of one block.  When I play again this evening, I will make a note of the shapes.  Both of them are in the shape menu for the wood frame.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, BFT2020 said:

I did something for my base since it was up one block, but I can't recall the name of the shapes.  What I did was a combination of two shapes to get up the height of one block.  When I play again this evening, I will make a note of the shapes.  Both of them are in the shape menu for the wood frame.

That sounds like wedges and wedge tips. You get one block of elevation change spread out over two blocks. That slope still results in a collision at high speeds for a motorcycle and a 4x4. A three block change in elevation might not, but I don't see any blocks for that.

One thing I have found is that in the POI editor you can use the arrow keys to change the height of ground blocks and with this you can get a slope that vehicles do not collide with. However, there's no in-game way to do that as far as I know.

32 minutes ago, zztong said:

That sounds like wedges and wedge tips. You get one block of elevation change spread out over two blocks. That slope still results in a collision at high speeds for a motorcycle and a 4x4. A three block change in elevation might not, but I don't see any blocks for that.

One thing I have found is that in the POI editor you can use the arrow keys to change the height of ground blocks and with this you can get a slope that vehicles do not collide with. However, there's no in-game way to do that as far as I know.

Yes that is what I did (completely forgot to check the shapes).  For me, the high speed collision is not an issue since I am parking my vehicles in the base so I am not going as fast as I can with them.

41 minutes ago, Gazz said:

The world record is 20° so any less is mundane. =P

I live in southwest Virginia and there are a whole lot of roads that are, at parts, steeper than 20°.  Besides that there are a metric crap ton of driveways steeper here.  :p

Granted, nothing around here seems to enter the books.  The town closest to me doesn't even show up on road signs.

There used to be (around alpha 15/16 I think) a bug that would make some parts of maps directly plummet dozens of meters so you'd get these crazy sheer cliffs.  It could happen at any point when going into an unexplored area of the map.  Real fun when it happened in or near the central city (yeah, there used to be one).

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

There used to be (around alpha 15/16 I think) a bug that would make some parts of maps directly plummet dozens of meters so you'd get these crazy sheer cliffs.  It could happen at any point when going into an unexplored area of the map.  Real fun when it happened in or near the central city (yeah, there used to be one).

yeah the noobs now dont know what hard is like having a day 1 wasteland hub city and getting feral whites day 2 :)

16 hours ago, Maharin said:

It still does occasionally. Like here in a vanilla 19.3 game.

9:36 if it doesn't start at the right time. The underground cave POI causes a massive cliff that he drives over lol.

The code doesn't work any better now.

Do you know why you see these bugs less? Because the world is now flat - there are no errors where nothing bends.

And you know - there is still a way to avoid problems in this game.... The developers will show it to you soon, when the roads are just removed.

29 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

I asked - how long they would stay there... that's sarcasm.

He knows.. your eternal optimism just missed his sarcasm. How long will they stay.. well, I can't find their removal on the roadmap. ba-dum-tish...

35 minutes ago, theFlu said:

He knows.. your eternal optimism just missed his sarcasm. How long will they stay.. well, I can't find their removal on the roadmap. ba-dum-tish...

probably because there is no road map.

where would you see the removal of biomes on the roadmap?

18 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

probably because there is no road map.

where would you see the removal of biomes on the roadmap?

There is. Just press M while in the game to see the roadmap. And the biomes appear as you explore. It is the fog of war that is removed.

(I could do this all day...)

Roland = sarcasm.  Well, near enough.  Roland is slightly greater but requires high precision to detect the difference.

Also:

1 hour ago, n2n1 said:

8fuD6mi.jpg

The top of that road, just before the drop, would be a great place for a camp/fort.  Just sayin'.

58 minutes ago, Roland said:

There is. Just press M while in the game to see the roadmap. And the biomes appear as you explore. It is the fog of war that is removed.

(I could do this all day...)

Okay, I get it :)

14 minutes ago, Maharin said:

////

The top of that road, just before the drop, would be a great place for a camp/fort.  Just sayin'.

....if it was even higher,  could jump with a parachute.... I mean.... why is it not possible to jump with a parachute in the game?

then such roads would not be a headache for the players!

Archived