OCD Miner Poll and Support Group

Boidster

Mining OCD Spectrum Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What level of OCD do you apply to your mines in 7D2D?

• None at all, because I don't create mines
    • None at all, because I am not crazy like the rest of you - I dig whereva I want!
    • Some OCD - I will place SI supports if I'm feeling nervous and might use wall torches or candles to help with navigation
    • Significant OCD - I place regular supports and try to keep pits/rooms/tunnels relatively neat even if I don't need the rock; I may use permanent lighting in work areas and tunnels
    • Maximum OCD - my pit mines have smooth walls and 90 degree corners, tunnels are on cardinal directions, the mine is well lit, and I *upgrade* my SI support frames!
    • Plaid OCD - if I accidentally mine an incorrect block, I fill the entire mine with cement as a monument to my failure.
    • Well I can't ever do the 'invisible wall' thing very well, but I can 'pull rope' pretty w....oh you said MINES. Never mind.

Went with significant, even though I might rather leave "natural support pillars" while losing some mats for it instead of actual built pillars. But I guess that can be counted as upgraded supports with the costs attached... :)

That precision laser is going to sound like a dentist's drill, isn't it? Even if not, tough choice.. for actually viable dynamite mining, I might like it better, but I fear I'd end up blowing up piles and piles of frames just to get the resulting hole well formed ... :) Would my OCD defeat my inner demo.. I think it might, gief laser!

Had to go with "significant" myself, I think the only thing holding me back from "maximum" was the cardinal directions, though to be fair I probably follow those more often than not.

As to the question, precision laser for sure. I'd probably have more fun with dynamite-based mining, but as we are talking about being persnickety in the mines, the laser sounds way more "straight edge" friendly.

3 minutes ago, Maharin said:

I generally just dig big holes and either cap the top with a ladder straight down or use open pit mining.  I will usually put a border around the top of the mine to avoid running into it with a vehicle.  Not that I've done that...

In my humble opinion you haven't designed a proper 7D2D mine unless at least one entrance allows you to drive (i.e. plummet) a vehicle straight to bedrock. 😅

depends... if i find ore underground i will have nice walls and a lot of upgraded wood frames as support in exactly same blocks distance..

Also different levels (4 high) with wood floor to mine comfortable .

In case the ore is direct below the dirt i tend to use open mines, but still dig everything out in a square.

My current mine triggers me sooo much. Half of the ore deposit is below the trader, i can't mine it!!!! At least wall is nice straight.

Non at all, because i don't live in my mines and the only reason why i even go into a mine is because i want as many ressources as quickly as possible. I probably will even never come back a second time to this place. And i only do bulk mining. Usually spent a night, or even a whole day in the mine with just mining. I do not even light my mines. The helmet light is the only lightsource there, so i don't see much of the mine anyway. Something i do not see doesn't need to be pretty. ;)

Since the boulders on the surface directly indicate where what kind of ores are, i search for them and then just dig down and just keep following the ore. I usually don't even care in what direction i dig. Only thing i pay at least little attention to is prevent rooms from getting to big and risk it might collapse. But that is also just estimated, i do not count blocks and calculate if SI is still stable. And i do that, because i'm even to lazy to build support pillars.  When mining in desert in opposite i often let it intentionally collapse and so do open pit mining.

Mines are also not connected in anyway to any of my bases, but in opposite i choose their location intentionally with some distance to my base.

I do my mines right below my base, so I can further extend it into the mine, usually it is a huge cavern below the base and bae is standing on pillars of its own and later I move all the smelting/forging/chem to the mine level so it doesn't bulk up inside main base building, and I usually have paths you can travel with bike or mini, sometimes I also have some vehicle exits to the surface with gates or such

straight to bedrock under the home base. make smeltimg area. strike out on straight line until hit a pocket of ore

dig up following the vein. dig back down clearing it out.  not in one go, get enough for a while, maybe 10k. go back to base and strike out another direction to find the other ores.

its a crap shoot and fantastic when you find one or more ores on the way down initially. 

once i have an auger then ill clear the whole lot out 

I build my base over ore surface marker so I know there will be ore beneath the base. Base is 2 story, 15x15 and put 4 columns to support roof. I mine beneath the base, clearing all stuff up to the where base walls meets the ground. I continue the columns, making identical ‘rooms’ same size as the main floor of the base. I make 3 such rooms beneath each other. First sub-base room is where all the generators go. Second sub-floor is where I put a water pool for water supply. Third sub-base room is where I put all the workstations and forges that I eventually moved from the first floor of the base. All walls of the mine are smooth, eventually reinforced concrete. Same for ramps dug to bedrock started from the middle of each wall of bottom-most sub-base rooms so the ramps are straight and one each north, south, east and west. So, yes I’m ocd to the max lol. 

Archived