Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Pichii

Pichii

36 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It's heavily spec dependent, you need major investment in S.Rex for the stamina to stop making things miserable. I prefer speccing for mining, so I often use a low level steel pick over an iron pick; and if I just want to mine and chill, any steel pick over an auger.

I hate the poor control of the auger, constantly hitting things around whatever I'm trying to hit. With the steel pick I can land a constant stream of hits holding the button down from block to block, but the auger just paints the whole cave. I'll admit, I'm a bit OCD about my mines though, keeping them clean makes for easy navigation and gives a better idea of the structural integrity.

The auger is of course better in most ways, likely even at comparatively low levels; but I rarely spend the gas.

Ill definately agree that its heavily spec dependant but in the wrong way.
It takes 6 perks to be good with an auger and as you mention, 15pt to be good with a pick. *Not counting raw stat increases like STR to 3, ect.
Stamina usage is probably a step in the right direction but not enough.
To be good with a pick is ALOT of perk point dedication whereas there isnt with the Aug.

When I build mines, Ill use the auger for the area clearing where accuracy doesnt matter but I still generally prefer iron picks for 'sculpting' because of stamina usage, ability to permanently power swing and reduced consumption of food relatively speaking and ability to mod it sooner.
I also really prefer the auger for late game stage modifications to base.

Pichii

Pichii

33 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It's heavily spec dependent, you need major investment in S.Rex for the stamina to stop making things miserable. I prefer speccing for mining, so I often use a low level steel pick over an iron pick; and if I just want to mine and chill, any steel pick over an auger.

I hate the poor control of the auger, constantly hitting things around whatever I'm trying to hit. With the steel pick I can land a constant stream of hits holding the button down from block to block, but the auger just paints the whole cave. I'll admit, I'm a bit OCD about my mines though, keeping them clean makes for easy navigation and gives a better idea of the structural integrity.

The auger is of course better in most ways, likely even at comparatively low levels; but I rarely spend the gas.

It takes 3 perks to be good with an auger and as you mention, 15pt to be good with a pick. *Not counting raw stat increases like STR to 3, ect.
To be good with a pick is ALOT of perk point dedication whereas there isnt with the Aug.

When I build mines, Ill use the auger for the area clearing where accuracy doesnt matter but I still generally prefer iron picks for 'sculpting' because of stamina usage, ability to permanently power swing and reduced consumption of food relatively speaking and ability to mod it sooner.

Pichii

Pichii

31 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It takes 3 perks to be good with an auger and as you mention, 15pt to be good with a pick.

Pichii

Pichii

27 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It takes 3 perks to be good with an auger and as you mention, 15pt to be good with a pick.