A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

12 minutes ago, stample said:

@Chrnosdark

Some warning on what you are trying to do. The map you have there will do bad things, because of the light shading applied to the rougher areas.  What you really need is a true topological map that doesn't put those obnoxious shadows in for human readability.  It can be difficult to find.  Otherwise, you'll need to heavily edit the picture for it to be right, which can take a lot of time.

Ideally, you want a grayscale image where dark is lower elevation and white is higher.  Expect to have to hand-edit to get that, though.  Once you're there, you'll need to adjust global contrast and brightness so that most of your elevations are between 50 and 120 (meaning RGB value of 50,50,50 and 120,120,120) with emphasis on the lower end. so that cities can spawn in the most places possible.  Somewhere early in this thread is a note about the max height a city will spawn in, due to height of skyscrapers needing to be below the top of the world.

I've done a few of these now, and happy to help you out, but I don't recognize that country from the image.  Is it El Salvador?

Hello, good afternoon and thanks for your help, it is correct it is El Salvador, ufff I thought that just putting it in grayscale would be enough, if the image that is needed is one where the elevation is reflected or a flat image and one go making The elevations?

Stample is 100% correct. Just for @%$#zNgiggles I edited the map and produced it in Nitrogen.

I took a little creative license and adapted a bit of the terrain.  Makes an interesting world.

Elevations are drastic. But if you want to play around on it for a bit. here is the link.

If we could still edit terrain texture Id use this for part of a fantasy landscape like the

original final fantasy map. 

<!-- https://mega.nz/file/UCo0nCoY#2Ay7SuxAI4QYtmKIEFgQnuoYh1XdvKQv8Lqq19dyo-U -->

chronosdarksmall.png.a2c2b619474b42e23059ef5cf6f696a8.png

17 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Stample is 100% correct. Just for @%$#zNgiggles I edited the map and produced it in Nitrogen.

I took a little creative license and adapted a bit of the terrain.  Makes an interesting world.

Elevations are drastic. But if you want to play around on it for a bit. here is the link.

If we could still edit terrain texture Id use this for part of a fantasy landscape like the

<!-- https://mega.nz/file/UCo0nCoY#2Ay7SuxAI4QYtmKIEFgQnuoYh1XdvKQv8Lqq19dyo-U -->

First of all, I thank you for the trouble you have taken I must admit that you made an effort and I was excited I also downloaded it and all unfortunately at the time of loading the map the game closes, the truth will never understand why with the maps created that are 8k gives me problems but the ones I generate from 6k with those I have no problem, of course I have to play with minimum graphics (only with maps created by nitrogen), because using the maps that the game brings I can play them with high graphics, no I understand what it will be, but I still appreciate the effort and dedication to help me, I would have liked to have played the map that you created for me

2020-12-01_18-19-44.png

1 hour ago, Chrnosdark said:

First of all, I thank you for the trouble you have taken I must admit that you made an effort and I was excited I also downloaded it and all unfortunately at the time of loading the map the game closes, the truth will never understand why with the maps created that are 8k gives me problems but the ones I generate from 6k with those I have no problem, of course I have to play with minimum graphics (only with maps created by nitrogen), because using the maps that the game brings I can play them with high graphics, no I understand what it will be, but I still appreciate the effort and dedication to help me, I would have liked to have played the map that you created for me

2020-12-01_18-19-44.png

Hello, here I have this page where maps of my country appear, I do not know if they can be used, and if you can help me make it 6k xk with 8k the game breaks

Https://www.alamy.es/imagenes/el-salvador-shape.html?blackwhite=1

And if you can generate them with all the biomes and that it is surrounded by water

1 hour ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Hello, here I have this page where maps of my country appear, I do not know if they can be used, and if you can help me make it 6k xk with 8k the game breaks

Https://www.alamy.es/imagenes/el-salvador-shape.html?blackwhite=1

And if you can generate them with all the biomes and that it is surrounded by water

Good afternoon everyone, Zombie Hunter seriously thank you for your help with the map as I mentioned earlier I don't know why I have problems with the 8k maps that break my game, now in the morning looking at the files of your map because I decided to size the Map at 6k and bingo worked for me, I ran the game, the funny thing is to see those roads in the sea, hahaha and the other and to reach the territory, there are some images, I just want to ask you another favor, can you tell me step by step how to make the map ? In such a way that those huge peaks do not come out (I attach images), in itself with your experience if you do a tutorial I would appreciate it, I want to experiment, if I can make a good map, I was playing for about 2 hours until the game closed. Unexpectedly, I think it is also due to the Undead Legacy mod, but what makes me happy is that it can play XD

PS: sorry for the images, I hope it is not a reason for banning or something like that

2020-12-02_12-30-04.png

2020-12-02_12-31-42.png

2020-12-02_12-33-29.png

2020-12-02_12-33-34.png

2020-12-02_12-35-35.png

2020-12-02_12-37-17.png

Yeah you can eliminate that by seeding the cities/towns directly.  That's what I normally do.  I made myself a lil chart of how many cities/towns you get for a given size map for each setting, and then seed exactly that many.  So for instance, I did the Big Island of Hawaii, and put a city on each of the major RL cities.

Alternatively, you can use the mask to mask out the water, and prevent it from seeding towns/cities out there while still allowing for random placement on the land.

Those massive hills you're seeing are why you'd reduce contrast, gives a flatter overall map, and no death-drops off the sides of mountains.

41 minutes ago, stample said:

Yeah you can eliminate that by seeding the cities/towns directly.  That's what I normally do.  I made myself a lil chart of how many cities/towns you get for a given size map for each setting, and then seed exactly that many.  So for instance, I did the Big Island of Hawaii, and put a city on each of the major RL cities.

Alternatively, you can use the mask to mask out the water, and prevent it from seeding towns/cities out there while still allowing for random placement on the land.

Those massive hills you're seeing are why you'd reduce contrast, gives a flatter overall map, and no death-drops off the sides of mountains.

If you could help me in the sense of a tutorial like this to be able to improve the map, or what I have to do to create it, I already have several images that I can start to retouch and test, there is also the issue of biomes, how to implement them on the map , If someone helps me with that I will appreciate it very much

Um, honestly I'm not really good at tutorials, and its very dependent on what editing software you are using.  Also, I'm not set up to do recording for YouTube.  Personally, I use Photoshop 7.0, which is like 15 yrs old at this point, because its the last version I bought that I can still "own".  Most of the features of NitroGen are explained pretty well in either the first post or the readme file included, and I recommend you read that for those.  Main post also has links to several tutorials, many of which I used when I started out, so I highly recommend them.  But here a few quick things:

1)  mask.png is what controls what POIs can/can't be where.  Clear is not masked, I use black for masked (nothing spawns in that area), and a single pixel of red is a city seed, while green is a town seed.  Yellow is same as clear, but lets you mark your seeds easily.  For example, looking at an 8k map, a single red pixel is not visible, so I put a large square around towns, and a large circle around cities.  This lets me see what is what quickly when fully zoomed out.

2)  To create your mask.png quickly, I copy my import_HM.png, use a magic selection to select all water, and fill it with black, then invert selection and delete to unmask the rest of the world.

3)  Biomes are controlled by biomes.png and can only use a few very specific colors.  Be sure if you are editing that that you are using a pencil-type tool with no transparency (or I think its called pixel art mode in Kriento).  If you get any shading at all, any single pixel outside the 5 predefined colors, it will error on map gen within 7d2d.

4)  You don't need a biomes.png when running in NitroGen.  It's only used by 7d2d, using the NitroGen output to create the world.  In fact, if you have it, NitroGen will overwrite it with its own.  So you can do this step last.  I recommend you set biomes in NitroGen to "Natural", which will just give you green everywhere.  You're going to overwrite it later anyway, but it'll create the base biomes.png that you can then edit.

5) import_HM.png is your main thing here.  It needs to be greyscale, and the RGB values will equal the in-game height.  You need to use global contrast and brightness so that your lowest point is below sea-level (I use about 40 25 so my seas are kind of deep [Edit: wow, big mistake here, Sea level is 33, oops] ) and you don't have any huge spikes between adjacent pixels, which are what create those huge vertical cliff faces or spires.  The blur and smudge tools are your friend here.  Photoshop also has a filter called Gaussian Blur, which does a great job of smoothing stuff out quickly.  For removing words/roads/labels, I rely heavily on cloning stamp at around 50-70% flow.  The trick to removing them effectively is to sample from several areas around it and overlapping those samples, so you're randomizing pixel changes over recognizable things like letters without drastically altering the overall height in that area.  This is best when words overlap terrain features like hills/ravines that would be recognizably edited if you weren't careful.  Blur afterwards to smooth them out further, and smudge to repair canyons/crevices.  Look at pictures below around Mt. Kosciuszo to see what I mean.

6) Remember that unless you have extremely recognizable features, no one is going to know the difference, so feel free to take liberties with terrain features.  Trying to preserve, for example, the actual peaks of a given mountain range would be all but impossible, and no one would notice or appreciate it even if you did.  You might make sure the tallest mountain is where Everest lies, but no one would make sure that the 2nd and 3rd highest are proportionally accurate in comparison.  So have fun, and don't sweat altering terrain to get done.

7) When testing your terrain gen, use all desert for biome, and turn off all POIs.  This will make map gen very fast, and desert is the easiest biome to see the terrain in, since it has only small scrubby trees to get in the way.  Load it up in 7d2d, turn on god mode, and fly around to see how its looking.  Also, in cheat mode (dm in console) you can shift-right-click on the map to teleport straight there (i used to type in coordinates before I figured this out, ugh!), and the lightswitch in the upper right of the map will toggle through things like "see entire map" and "see biomes" etc.  Helps you orient quickly if you're trying to find a specific area of your map to critique.

Ex.

Below is a small corner of my last map, which was Australia.  The first is part of my source image, and the 2nd is from the final import_HM.png in the same area.  In-game, these are all rolling hills, since the scale is obviously way off of real world.  Also, I put a massive bomb crater just north of Melbourne.  Third is from the mask.   You (might) see that I seed 3 cities and 3 towns around the crater, which itself is masked out so there are no POIs in it.  The yellow squares and circles are a little hard to differentiate at this scale.  End result is that you get a massive single-city-like area with a bomb crater in the center.  Finally, the last is a screenshot that shows what it looks like in-game, from the top of a Dishong Tower.

image.png.8556dd49f3e8131fd12b347a1b837df3.png

image.png.4ac9816741a93fdc279aeb856aac4cb9.pngimage.png.032bf5fba8561052bb042ef9994f1e63.png

A19.2_2020-11-22_16-03-49.thumb.jpg.864b70386b6110edc1a17414ab129a3a.jpg

Edited by stample (see edit history)

ChronosDark: I will try a smoother edit and will go to the link provided for some insight.

The main thing I like to do is Terraforming by painting . I will layer it with one of my maps

to try to create a hybrid. to remove the peaks. The islands came from  Nitrogen, I will try

to leave those  and add safer sloped roadways. It may take a bit for me to manually edit.

then I will try to build a biome file to compliment it. One free program to try to get an idea

of what Stample is explaining is GWterraNoise. Modules with libnoise to make mountains,

and terrains.

6K this time.

I will test a couple of ideas, raising the islands, and making the the road to match, and try

to do a smoother gradient for the roads to lower elevation.

Stample: I like what you have done. I never seeded cities just autogen. Some of the spikes came

from me selecting color range then deleting the excess, then I inverted only selected parts

of the image. Other spikes came from me editing out the watermarks. Painting for me becomes

a lot of what if scenarios, then I save them to a stamper file for later.

So here's what I've got.  Its a bit rough.  Could probably use a bit more smoothing.  I'll go through what I did to get here, though.

I used this image as a base, which I snagged off Wikipedia, of all places.  Its still got shading, but it was pretty good.  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

El_Salvador_Topography.thumb.jpg.036c275c6c20772721052d492423a7f9.jpg

Turn it to B/W first thing.  Select water and delete it all, set it nice and dark.  I did 45, which was a mistake (more on that later).

Next I went around the borders with an eraser at 100% opacity but feathered edges.  Reduced brush size for the fiddly bits around harbors and for tracing rivers.  That eliminated the white border at the water's edge, which would otherwise have resulted in huge, thin walls.

Next, clone stamp at 70% opacity to edit out latitude and longitude lines, as well as the rivers I didn't want to keep.  This is the most time-consuming bit of all of it, but at least we didn't have cities and such named here, so it wasn't too bad.  Pull from nearby, usually a little on each side, and try to match general terrain features and brush stroke the direction of the features.  This disturbs the overall image the least.

Apply a Gaussian Blur at 1.6 px to the entire image.

Blur any rough edges in delicate areas, like the islands near the coast that were too small to risk with the eraser, and smudge river entrances/exits or rough areas where the eraser didn't get everything.

Finally, I started adjusting brightness and contrast until the peaks were about 180, and the shoreline hung around 50-60.  Another mistake, but not that big.

Start in with dodge tool nad 20% opacity to fix the major mountains.  You have what looks like a volcano in the southeast, and a few other prominent peaks, as well as that entire SW mountain range.  Lightened up the shadows on the SW sides to match NE sides, which mostly eliminates the weirdness of the cartographers light sourcing.

Generated a map, and realized that 45 is not underwater.  Check readme, its actually 33.  Oops.  Adjust brightness down until shoreline area is about 40.  Re-render.

Check in game, looks pretty good, but because of my earlier mistake, all the peaks are below 165 so there is no snow anywhere on the map.  El Salvador has some beautiful peaks, and I want to preserve that.  So I adjust the brightness up about 70 points. This puts most of the peaks above 165, but not much else.  Highlands are sitting around 160 now.  Export that, run a map gen, and save the biomes.png off to the side.  Now, we can run the original heightmap again, but swap in the biomes.png and we'll still have snow on the peaks, even though they are quite a bit lower than NitroGen would place it.

I'm not happy with the POI spread that I got, and they're pretty turned down, so I'm just going to post the files, and you can run gen as many times as you want until you get a spread you like.  Just remember to swap the biomes.png file back in when you put it in the 7d2d folder.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the areas are still pretty rough, and it'd probably benefit from a some more smoothing.  But if you want rugged terrain up in the mountains, this is definitely that.  I'm not happy with the rivers (I never am) because they have to be at sea level, rather than descending from the mountain heights.  Also, the POIs tend to generate near them and overwrite sections of them.  They make nice canyon paths through the highlands, though.spacer.pngspacer.png

Here are a few images I took of the southern shoreline, near the SE volcano thing, and up in the highlands area of the NW.A19.2_2020-12-02_21-36-12.thumb.jpg.1d10612bba35e4b3cd3fa04344797e54.jpgA19.2_2020-12-02_21-35-16.thumb.jpg.6593b351d503a2677fb11b5938154ace.jpgA19.2_2020-12-02_21-34-38.thumb.jpg.9999d41440e395908efbed229ef57aaf.jpgA19.2_2020-12-02_21-36-51.thumb.jpg.1332310b0102fc795f1133cb6540ffa3.jpg

Here are the settings I was using in NitroGen.  You probably want more cities and towns, I just wanted a fast gen time since my computer is a bit potato.

settings.thumb.JPG.585c4123a2239412204a69f44ae8f17c.JPG

ElSalvador.zip

Edited by stample (see edit history)

i may be new to all of this but I know this creating your own world through heightmaps is possible and im following the advice from the both of you but i still cant figure it out and its frustrating me lol. i wont give up though thats for sure

16 hours ago, ZombieQ said:

i may be new to all of this but I know this creating your own world through heightmaps is possible and im following the advice from the both of you but i still cant figure it out and its frustrating me lol. i wont give up though thats for sure

There are already two of us, I am also new to that but thanks to Hunter and Hunter Zombie we already have the steps to carry them out, unfortunately even the map generator helps that if you use a real map you have to work on them quite a bit, it is tedious but that if You put a lot of light tone it becomes a peak or a lot of dark in a crater, hahaha by the way yesterday I compiled the map and it broke my game, I think there is something I did wrong I will review well what you explained to me Hunter

13 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Is there a way to change the height for highways?   Some seem to spawn almost level to roads, depending on terrain height, I'd like to raise highways up maybe 5-10 tiles higher.

From what I understand, highways are basically POIs, so you would have to replace all of the highway POIs with "taller" ones. This would also let you make highways with no breaks in them. Again...if I understand them correctly...and I am not sure that I do.

Good morning, simply beautiful, with its imperfections and defects it looks beautiful, the map is small I have to admit it but playing it wow I liked it a lot more because it is a representation, not so exact, but it is the map of my country XD. I will not stop saying thank you for all the help and effort you have made to Hunter and Zombie Hunter. I have to admit, based on what they have told me, I have made some modifications to the map (Biomes and a crater). I share the map for those who want to play a little game.

PS: How can I make the crater look more real? If it is possible and also that it is a little deeper, not exaggerated, a little deeper

https://app.box.com/s/r4t7ngd8gwt6svvxii3dewr6bs8usc3l

2020-12-07_13-51-31.png

2020-12-07_14-41-40.png

2020-12-08_08-42-28.png

2020-12-08_09-11-48.png

2020-12-08_09-16-41.png

Hello, i just started playing 7DTD, and someone told me about the nitrogen and to use it.

So, i used the link to download the zip file, but when i want to use the nitrogen application and i get the following pop-up

Screenshot_6.png.e680bb1f32c6d92eeaff8d2dcf94246d.png

But i got the most updated version of Java.

How do i use the application?

7 minutes ago, DutchPlacebo said:

Hello, i just started playing 7DTD, and someone told me about the nitrogen and to use it.

So, i used the link to download the zip file, but when i want to use the nitrogen application and i get the following pop-up

Screenshot_6.png.e680bb1f32c6d92eeaff8d2dcf94246d.png

But i got the most updated version of Java.

How do i use the application?

When you install Java using the default install, it only installs the 32-bit version. You need to click the button to "See all Java downloads" and then download the 64-bit version from there.

Do note that you must first install the standard 32-bit version before you install the 64-bit version.

8 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

When you install Java using the default install, it only installs the 32-bit version. You need to click the button to "See all Java downloads" and then download the 64-bit version from there.

Do note that you must first install the standard 32-bit version before you install the 64-bit version.

Thanks, i thought i got automaticly the 64 bit version.

The app starts now.

i have an error when map is loading after using latest nitrogen

2020-12-10T10:27:47 56.394 ERR Loading prefab "utility_electric_co_01" failed: Block "cntBackpackDropped" used in prefab is unknown.
2020-12-10T10:27:47 56.394 WRN Could not load prefab 'utility_electric_co_01'. Skipping it

is there a fix?

Chrnosdark

I like the last set of images you posted. Nice work.

I just downloaded it.  I will try to adjust the slope gradient for the crater for you.

With your first post it inspired me to make a new map, making uneven elevated

POIs.

Rukminesh

Zip and upload that world folder and I may be able to paint the biomes.png for you.

Data

In entities.xml approx line 54 the backpack reference has been replaced by Backpack

You may try changing that reference in the file. Or it may be that you still have some older configs

in the 7dtd folder referring to the old name, in other words an older version of the alpha.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

Good Day .. Damocles

Hoping you are well and family is also. Just wondering if we will have an update coming soon .. OR .. if you are waiting on A20 to come out.

As so many others are starting to have issues with map making including myself .. I'm not one that does alot of custom style maps .. basically 10-12k ones without the radiation and wastelands with a trader in every town.

Anyway .. I was just wondering and I know you have been on and off checking things out I guest.

Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. :tranquillity:

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

4sheetzngeegles

Thank you, I generated bigger 14K maps. Actually the desert is my fault because I was not used the sliders correctly.

After lot of maps something came up in my mind. Basically where the desert and burnt forest generate the land is mostly flat, but could be interesting if not. It could be done if terrain have a group of sliders and biome ratio have another separate group of sliders. Then I can generate a completely mountainous: desserts, burnt forests, wastelands.

I just love the rough terrain, It give a real purpose for vehicles and to be spawn and start away from settlements just add to the fun. Also worth to mention the view is often beautiful.

• SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - a Random World Generator for 7DTD
  • SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE
  • SylenThunder locked this topic