A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

22 hours ago, WickesGuru said:

I am trying to figure out what issue I'm having (See screenshot). Is it a setting? Did i install something wrong? I have several buildings in every city built under the ground level. Is this a nitrogen thing? Or is it a compo thing?

20201022212008_1.jpg

Just bear with it .. I get the same thing ... THE Biggest Issue is that Nitrogen Needs Updating with all the game changes that have been done by TFP in game .. which in turn is effecting the maps we make.

Hopefully He will be back soon and update Nitrogen ... But with all the issues in the world at the moment .. but when that will happen is  UnKnown.

Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

2 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Just bear with it .. I get the same thing ... THE Biggest Issue is that Nitrogen Needs Updating with all the game changes that have been done by TFP in game .. which in turn is effecting the maps we make.

Hopefully He will be back soon and update Nitrogen ... But with all the issues in the world at the moment .. when that will happen is None Known.

Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

Okay, that's totally understandable. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something i did! I am trying to find interesting ways to utilize the weirdness lol

I have several of the sunken buildings in my latest Nitrogen map- not a real issue; there are some benefits, however:

- you can snipe the sleeping zombies that are outside of the building with ease;

- most of the sunken lots you can jump right out of; though I haven't yet encountered the residence with the fence;

- others have a light fixture in a corner which makes it easy to climb out;

- other locations have a bus or a structure near to the edge- which makes it easy to jump onto to or make a walkway.

At this juncture, it's just a question of suspension of belief... and most of all just have fun.

2 hours ago, JCL said:

I have several of the sunken buildings in my latest Nitrogen map- not a real issue; there are some benefits, however:

- you can snipe the sleeping zombies that are outside of the building with ease;

- most of the sunken lots you can jump right out of; though I haven't yet encountered the residence with the fence;

- others have a light fixture in a corner which makes it easy to climb out;

- other locations have a bus or a structure near to the edge- which makes it easy to jump onto to or make a walkway.

At this juncture, it's just a question of suspension of belief... and most of all just have fun.

For sure. I've not had any problems escaping. Can always nerd pole out! I lured some hordes down in one place. Super fun picking them off while the struggle in futility to get me lol. It also makes a great place to build a foundation for my skyscraper when i demolish the existing building. Lots of cool stuff to do for sure.

what are the constraints on using your own heightmap?

grayscale png? max 256 levels between full white and full black? compression or no compression?

what I'm trying to achieve is rather rough terrain 8x8 km map with significant amount of water between mountain peaks, basically,  what I would like to do would be just taking the already generated heightmap and increasing water level by +25m or +50m and then re-running the map-gen for building placement. how would I go about achieving that? when I tried editing the heightmap the Nitrogen refused to import it. 

@NemesisFulgidum this might be a crap shoot but do you by any chance have the "OCD world" option chosen under the "scenario" drop down menu? it's the only thing I can think of that would cause that, apart from a general map error.

if that doesn't seem to fix the problem when generating a new world (it won't fix whatever world you made that has this map preview issue if it isn't the preview), it's possible it's just the render preview. try putting everything in your world's output folder this github page says to put into (even if one or two of the options aren't there, it'll still load) and see if it renders your map the same way.

Congrats and welcome to the Apocalyptic World Creators Club!

P.S.: You can use dropbox to upload the preview and even the entire map. I have mine set up so that people can grab the prefabs, maps and mods collections I use on my server so they don't have to wait for the DL to get in-game quickly.

Edited by GlassDeviant (see edit history)

Is nitrogen windows-only?

I'm launching it under Linux with "java -jar nitrogen.jar" and it just shows me a blank window.

No errors on console.

Should it work under Linux or am i missing something?

Edit: Found it. Had to install openjdk-14-jre. Obviously i had installed something different, however other java programs worked (also with gui).

Edit2: And for steam/linux/proton players, the nitrogen generated folder has to go into /home/<username>/.local/share/7DaysToDie/GeneratedWorlds/

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Is nitrogen windows-only?

I'm launching it under Linux with "java -jar nitrogen.jar" and it just shows me a blank window.

No errors on console.

Should it work under Linux or am i missing something?

Edit: Found it. Had to install openjdk-14-jre. Obviously i had installed something different, however other java programs worked (also with gui).

Edit2: And for steam/linux/proton players, the nitrogen generated folder has to go into /home/<username>/.local/share/7DaysToDie/GeneratedWorlds/

ARE .. You loading 64 Java and not the standard version? That would be my question?? Otherwise you will have to get someone thats know Linux to answer.

15 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

ARE .. You loading 64 Java and not the standard version? That would be my question?? Otherwise you will have to get someone thats know Linux to answer.

Neither nor, i just did

sudo apt-get install openjdk-14-jre

Obviously i had some other JRE installed before, because as i said, i ran other java programms pretty fine. Is also not the case that java was entirely missing, because Nitrogen did start and showed a window. But just an empty one.

Maybe my previous installed JRE was missing, AWT, Swing, or whatever GUI-lib Nitrogen is based on.

Hey just wanna say I absolutely love Nitrogen, great job. I have a question regarding the highways. Is there a way to generate a map with the highway intact like no breaks/spaces, I love the idea of the highway on my map but is completely useless if the players cannot drive down it without falling through every kilometer or so. Hoping there is some setting I missed, I set roads to no damage but it still came in broken up. Any help would be appreciated.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:07 AM, canadianbluebeer said:

Ground roads should be ok, but the elevated highways are always busted up.

You can fix them in the game though. (they do make nice starting bases though. zeds don't seem to spawn up top, just below)

Sure I know I can fix them manually but the problem with that is when I do a prefab reset to freshen up the map for players, Highways are considered prefabs so it undoes all of the repairs made to them. So that is why I was hoping the is a way or could be a way implemented to make the highways solid all the way through if the person wanted while making the map. Also if players make bases on the Highway they get wiped too when you do a Prefab Reset. So that isn't good either.

Edited by pipedream (see edit history)

19 hours ago, pipedream said:

Sure I know I can fix them manually but the problem with that is when I do a prefab reset to freshen up the map for players, Highways are considered prefabs so it undoes all of the repairs made to them. So that is why I was hoping the is a way or could be a way implemented to make the highways solid all the way through if the person wanted while making the map. Also if players make bases on the Highway they get wiped too when you do a Prefab Reset. So that isn't good either.

Why do you need to refresh the prefabs? The whole point of the game is that you have to keep going further and further from your starting location to continue finding new resources. Have they cleared the whole map? Is the map too small? Or are you just catering to whiny, entitled players?

3 hours ago, GlassDeviant said:

Why do you need to refresh the prefabs? The whole point of the game is that you have to keep going further and further from your starting location to continue finding new resources. Have they cleared the whole map? Is the map too small? Or are you just catering to whiny, entitled players?

Have you ever played on a public server? It doesn't take long for all the POI's to be picked clean.

11 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

So you're not gonna answer the question I see. Ok.

I'm asking you a question in return: How many players, how large of a map and with how dense of cities and towns are you finding it necessary to regenerate the map? Each of those factors have an impact on how quickly they will be able to clear the map of playable content. And I didn't even bring up how much time are they engaging in building vs. just raiding all the time. So...are you not gonna answer the question?

Edited by GlassDeviant (see edit history)

On 11/8/2020 at 1:19 AM, GlassDeviant said:

With how many players? How large a map? How dense of cities and towns?

pipedream obviously has enough players to pick the map clean and then he needs to reset.

He asked HOW to do this, not in what timeframe, if he should reduce players, increase map size or whatever.

So your questions in return are irrelevant, don't help anybody and even derail the question.

If somebody asks you for a first aid kit, do you also first ask why he needs one, before you give him one?