A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Having trouble with running custom biomes on maps I've generated I am not sure what I am doing wrong. So I paint out the biomes, run it through the fixer and then replace the biomes file in the world directory. Everything is fine up to this point, the map loads up I see the biomes are lining up to the picture I've made for map.

But when I teleport somewhere or a friend joins(causing a far new area to generate) I get a console error, I can still open my inventory but cant move.  If I reload I can no longer play on the map. Running around and generating the map normally seems to be just fine. 

The Error is "ERR Exception in thread GenerateChunks" "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with the biome file to cause this? I'm confident it happens when I switch the biome file it doesn't happen on other maps.

Edited by CptMcSexy (see edit history)

@Graahorn That's a vanilla issue, not a Nitrogen issue. try opening the console in-game (F1) and typing in "pois". That turns off the distant POIs and will fix it, because those are the textures used for distant POIs. I did that and it fixed the issue of the "phantom blocks". Sure, you won't be able to see POIs until they load in when you're closer, but it does fix it. Also, logging out and then it will fix it temporarily, but there's a high chance loading a new chunk will just cause the issue again.

I recently discovered this game, and I wanted to say thank you so much for creating this world generator! For some reason I can run the game itself just fine, but every time I went to generate a random map with the game's built in generator, the game would just crash. With the app you made, I was finally able to generate a random map with no problem on the first attempt. Once again, thank you for making this!

On 9/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, CovertOrreo said:

So I ran a map with compopack45 hotfix 02 and nitrogen and it runs beautifully. My wife and I played a multiplayer with me hosting the game on my pc, we are on day 17 and would like to play on our server, what would I need to transfer to my server to be able to keep our save game... all our loot and progression?

I am currently uploading compopack to the server (we use Bluefang) once that is done I just need toupload what I assume is the world to generated worlds but what else for the save?

Help is appreciated.

You will need to put your generated map in world folder on server and move the complete save folder in app data to app data on server. Make sure you add prefabs to prefab folder on server as well if not just a vanilla map. Make sure you change config world to new map as well. It will trigger a new world download when you log in again, but will start you right where you left off

So... the program won't read the heigtmap from an existing output folder, nor will it read the biomes.

Why is this?  Is the program not made to reuse existing heightmaps that it itself made?
I mean it doesn't mind going and using the same exact height map from resources, but once I want it to reuse the height map from a folder it just can't read it.  Why is this?

Would it be even possible for the program to restore the old Hubcity in wasteland and have smaller towns strewn around? I really miss A15 type maps 😕 but that's probably not doable with the small map sizes we have to use now :(

If not now, it would be a sweet future feature.

Firstly, thanks for creating an alternative map maker for 7D2D! It's so nice having options and something that can generate so quickly. 

Quick Question: Is there anyway possible to get this to generate POI's like the native map maker? What I mean by that is the native generator seems to create residential, commercial, and industrial "areas" and spread similar POI's away from one another. However, I noticed with Nitrogen, it's completely random... for example... at one intersection I had a mansion, an  industrial building, a store, and trailer, and a few doors down, the same type of store as what was on the corner. There are no sections of houses... just houses mixed in between commercial and industrial. The roads in the cities are also a bit of a mess. In the native generator, the roads are more of a grid like a real city but in Nitrogen, the streets have a lot of dead ends, or roads running into the back of POI's... hard to explain but just very unorganized. 

Not trying to complain because I love the world generation of Nitrogen... the landscaping and everything else is amazing... It's just how it builds cities and organizes POI's that is a bit off for me. 

First, thanks for this amazing tool - I can't remember the last time I played on a non-Nitro map!

I note that import_HM.png is flipped vertically - is this by design? Not that it's really a big deal.

On a separate note, please see the attached heightmap and corresponding preview map. Is there anyway to prevent towns being generated in the water? Whilst it could be quite a cool map, it's not what I'm after at the moment :)

Thanks in advance.

(original map nabbed from here: https://medium.com/@travall/procedural-2d-island-generation-noise-functions-13976bddeaf9)

previewMap.jpg

import_HM.png

400hrs playing 7 days, just started a 10.2k map with a map generated from this and the a19 patched poi pack so neat. Like a new game. Thank you for the SUPER neat mod/map generator app. I had couldn't get my server to run the custom map for whatever reasons (it's not like the instructions are hard) but runs great on 7 days host. I will fiddle with server again later. Super neat. Thank you so much. like a whole new game with all the new POI and map layout. 

7 minutes ago, darkblade_777 said:

I'm not very tech savvy so I need a little help trouble shooting, my first time using this and I'm stuck at this stage, what do I do? I left it for about 30 minutes and it still is stuck there. If it just needs more time, how do I check nitrogen is still running?

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 2.57.13 PM.png

If this isn't a 4k/8k world, then wait at least an hour.. still, 16k world is 4x bigger than 8k

Edited by CrazyAluminum (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, CrazyAluminum said:

If this isn't a 4k/8k world, then wait at least an hour.. still, 16k world is 4x bigger than 8k

It's an 8k world, should not be taking this long. Checked my task manager and it seemed to be using very little cpu and memory, there was a drop. Not sure why it happened.

Also, tested a 4k world, generated quite quickly but then when I tried to play it gave me "FileNotFoundException: No height data found for the world test"

Edited by darkblade_777 (see edit history)

On 9/23/2020 at 5:48 AM, Dracathio said:

So... the program won't read the heigtmap from an existing output folder, nor will it read the biomes.

Why is this?  Is the program not made to reuse existing heightmaps that it itself made?
I mean it doesn't mind going and using the same exact height map from resources, but once I want it to reuse the height map from a folder it just can't read it.  Why is this?

I am using custom heighmaps, you have to rename the heighmap for the import to work (off the top of my head the rename is IMPORT_HM.PNG and you then tell nitrogen to use the import_hm.png file, you can also combine it with a mask file to kind of limit where poi's can be built as well...

I would love it if there was an option to also use a custom biomes.png file as I have generated my own biomes file for a specific custom heightmap file and the preview always generates without the biomes file...  When I overwrite the generated biomes file with my custom one after nitrogen has generated the world, the game engine happily uses my cutsom biomes file.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in the config file for nitrogen to vertically (north/south) invert the generated world when using a custom height map and mask?

I am having this issue where when using my custom height map to generate a world, the generated world is inverted in the north south axis.  I know I can manually invert my heightmap in gimp and it should work fine as far as the world generation goes but it would be nice if there was an option inside of nitrogen that I am just missing / not seeing.

Edited by scallipus
additional question asked (see edit history)

Naive newbie question: If I get Nitrogen with compopack, do I get Compopack POIs PLUS the vanilla ones, or INSTEAD of them?

I only found answers to this question for older versions. So I'm not sure what applies right now. 

I ask because I love RWG worlds but don't want to miss some vanilla POIs. 

Recently I noticed that my server was heavy CPU on idle when no players connected. About 120% ( CPU is 8 cores so the max is 800%).

When someone connect, the CPU usage becomes again normal ( ~30% ).

This occurs after using the CPM resetrwgprefab or resetregionnow.

Since it's a self hosted machine, it make me crazy to see the CPU usage was higher than 5 players connected all the night and I investigated a lot to find the issue.
It was a 10k map with vanilla prefabs, with default nitrogen parameters.

So I wiped and removed all mods then ran « rrp » : same behavior

Then I generated a new 8k nitrogen map with default params : same behavior

I finally generated a 8k RWG, ran « rrp » and the CPU usage is now stable.
The server now have better server FPS and players didn't complain anymore about lags/fps drop even with 18/18 players connected. Even the bloodmoon is better on RWG than nitrogen.
There is clearly a huge performance issue at this time with nitrogen maps on multiplayer.

I spent 12 hours trying every cases to find out this. I even tried on a different machine to ensure it was not my hardware/software setup.

If you want to reproduce : Generate both 8k RWG/nitrogen map, run cpm-resetrwgprefab, disconnect and watch the server CPU usage.
You don't need any players to test, it happen on fresh map without building.

When you host your own dedicated server, it is not negligible, it consume power for nothing (and decrease the hardware lifetime)

I love nitrogen, maybe it's time to opensource the code to allow people see what happen, improve things and have an up-to-date software without waiting for months.

Thank you for your work, but for now I don't recommend nitrogen anymore.

58 minutes ago, Haze said:

Recently I noticed that my server was heavy CPU on idle when no players connected. About 120% ( CPU is 8 cores so the max is 800%).

When someone connect, the CPU usage becomes again normal ( ~30% ).

This occurs after using the CPM resetrwgprefab or resetregionnow.

Since it's a self hosted machine, it make me crazy to see the CPU usage was higher than 5 players connected all the night and I investigated a lot to find the issue.
It was a 10k map with vanilla prefabs, with default nitrogen parameters.

So I wiped and removed all mods then ran « rrp » : same behavior

Then I generated a new 8k nitrogen map with default params : same behavior

I finally generated a 8k RWG, ran « rrp » and the CPU usage is now stable.
The server now have better server FPS and players didn't complain anymore about lags/fps drop even with 18/18 players connected. Even the bloodmoon is better on RWG than nitrogen.
There is clearly a huge performance issue at this time with nitrogen maps on multiplayer.

I spent 12 hours trying every cases to find out this. I even tried on a different machine to ensure it was not my hardware/software setup.

If you want to reproduce : Generate both 8k RWG/nitrogen map, run cpm-resetrwgprefab, disconnect and watch the server CPU usage.
You don't need any players to test, it happen on fresh map without building.

When you host your own dedicated server, it is not negligible, it consume power for nothing (and decrease the hardware lifetime)

I love nitrogen, maybe it's time to opensource the code to allow people see what happen, improve things and have an up-to-date software without waiting for months.

Thank you for your work, but for now I don't recommend nitrogen anymore.

Most likely it's due to Compopack POI's They can be huge FPS eaters.