A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Didnt work, Didnt spawn it in the Mountains it spawned it at ground level so Cut off the bottom 7 block layers... I think thats because I have the Map set at Flat... Which is why im a bit Bummed that the FP seem to have lowered the max level of ground to bedrock it being 38 blocks instead of the Old 55 Blocks of dirt before bedrock...

Didnt work, Didnt spawn it in the Mountains it spawned it at ground level so Cut off the bottom 7 block layers... I think thats because I have the Map set at Flat... Which is why im a bit Bummed that the FP seem to have lowered the max level of ground to bedrock it being 38 blocks instead of the Old 55 Blocks of dirt before bedrock...

♥♥♥♥, just started a new game... stupid that I didn't check earlier.... :D

IwqrakF.jpg

New version online 0.470.

-> Landscape sliders.

They allow you to set the excact mix of landscape.

There are 16 "slots" of landscape types for a map, each taken from

-Flat

-Mountain

-Desert

-Rough (small bumpy hills)

-Random (picks any of the above randomly)

So for a completely (boring) flat map, just crank up the flat slider.

For a mountain map, just crank up mountains etc.

For a random surprise, the random.

I suggest to keep at least half the map flat terrain, for POIs to spawn without issues.

When selecting the landscape dropdown, the sliders will change to the template.

(Sliders are not saved yet between starts)

Damocles, from what you wrote yesterday and playing around today I was able to learn a lot and achieve a lot. Using third party tools for real world terrain height maps and masks I was able to quite accurately re-create Australia and also North America as well as a multitude of other interesting and wild maps.

I didn't take it further but could have have also actually put cities to spawn where they are in real life, large major cities like NY, Dallas, Chicago, LA are all place-able and then use towns for smaller ones, it's quite intriguing.

I also created some custom height maps to better understand what your tool does at each RGB value in terms of elevation.

Seems the ocean surface is at RGB 31,31,31 with each RGB value equaling a block in height so for not too deep oceans a value of 20,20,20 is good (I was always using 0,0,0).

I also like how height maps and masks can be far smaller in pixel dimensions than the map and your tools auto scales it as required.

The water issue or "parting of the seas" as I call it seems not to come from too much water (hypothesis from doing lots of tests today) but rather the engine doesn't seem to like lot's of the low lying islands that were being created by my natural terrain height maps. It would often create these "parted seas" to the right of these islands, complete with trees and zombie spawns. I was able to fill in these areas by manually creating new line entries within the water_info.xml with the correct coordinates and re-creating the game world.

Apart from a red pixel for cities and green for towns are there any other specific colors you can divulge for even more fine grain control over poi placement?

Thanks again for such a great tool, already grabbed the new version, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Is it possible make an option to gen a map with one mega city in the center with outlying towns and be able to make the city a wasteland biome?

You can actually do that using a heightmap and mask and marking the city location with a red pixel, you can also custom paint the biomes as you wish afterwards. I have been doing this a lot using paint.net, creating a new layer over the preview image created by nitrogen.

I set it to semi transparent so that I can trace the biomes around cities and mountains to create a more natural and varied biome layout than is automatically generated by the tool which understandably has limitations, then you copy that layer to a new image and save it as biomes.png for use during world generation.

When creating the biomes.png don't forget to use the right colors (get examples from the ones supplied by vanilla 7d2d and use the eye dropper tool from your paint program to copy the color value exactly) and make sure all tools are at their maximum values so you create full hard non anti-aliased or dithered lines between the biomes, for safety run the final result through the biomefixer tool supplied with Nitrogen.

Play around a bit, you can get some great results.

Small update v0.471: option to spawn on a random rooftop

It can be risky, if you spawn ontop of a skyscaper for example. So use this just as a fun option

Beautiful!!

Is it possible to get prefabs to spawn ON roads? What I'm looking for is to add in things like road blockages, sewer entrances etc.

@Damocles:

Is it possible to set trader points by colors such as your cities (red) and towns (green), are there any other colors we can use for specific spawns?

Is there any way we can set an exact number of cities, I found "tCities" in the config but unlike the other entries which are integers it contains decimals.

(Update: I figured out which entry corresponded to what and simply did a few tests tweaking the decimal number to get what I was looking for)

Edited by Reytag (see edit history)

"I'm always on the lookout for the NEPA prefab and I can't find it in a city so I copied, changed and added two lines to the prefab list:

Original line:

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial ;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;mountain

Changed and addd:

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial ;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;citycenter;downtown

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial ;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;citycenter

I still can't find the NEPA prefab in or near an entire single tiny city map.

My expertise is limited to copy, change and paste.

I'm probably doing something wrong ... lol"

Sorry for the copy and paste, missed the tag.

I also look for the NEPA base as a good starting point. This was added to my prefab list file, and I have been successful in finding it among most cities.

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),COMMERCIAL;DOWNTOWN;INDUSTRIAL;RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,0,-1,0,0,35,citycenter

Edited by BigRedCK
I'm an idiot (see edit history)

@Damocles:

Is it possible to set trader points by colors such as your cities (red) and towns (green), are there any other colors we can use for specific spawns?

Is there any way we can set an exact number of cities, I found "tCities" in the config but unlike the other entries which are integers it contains decimals.

(Update: I figured out which entry corresponded to what and simply did a few tests tweaking the decimal number to get what I was looking for)

Check FIRST PAGE for Color Code :02.47-tranquillity:

Check FIRST PAGE for Color Code :02.47-tranquillity:

I read the first page thoroughly, the information I seek is not there unless I'm going blind.

The "Preview POI colors" list has nothing to do with what I asked, those are the color keys for the preview image output, not the rgb pixel values we need for the mask for setting specific spawn points which is what I am seeking.

@Damocles:

tCities is the number of towns per dropdown setting.

To get the precise number, you need to multiply it with the area relative to 4k.

An 8k map has 4 times the area of 4k.

So you multiply it by 4.

And then round the result to an integer. (8.3 -> 8 , 8.7 -> 9)

------------

There are only the city and town markers on the mask currently. I can look at adding traders as spawn points.

The mask spawn points dont determine the total number.

Just the FIRST positions to use. If there are more towns set, the other ones will be chosen at random loactions.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Hello Everyone! Trying it again. And Damocles? I really like the "counting sheep" LOL Thanks!

<EDIT: Spawn points... So If I want 'all of us' to spawn at a point I edit the xml to one single spawn point?

"<spawnpoint position="-2022,41,-7070" rotation="0,79,0"/>"

If you know the excact spawn point, you can set it to your favorite loaction.

I have added the option to choose random "roofs" as spawn locations. But this is more of a fun option, and might cause issues ingame with some POIs that might trap the player.

*Update: I manually made the crossing by altering the height map now nitrogen is creating a road across in > 80% of the generations.

Damocles, what can I do to coax Nitrogen to make a road where the red arrows are, have finally got everything down to how I want but after 20 generations it never once crossed where the red is but will without fail always cross where those 3 green ones are, every time.

Map: http://prntscr.com/q14ef7

Map with mask overlay: http://prntscr.com/q14huh

Where the green arrows are is also a water canal, when nitrogen makes the roads it fills it in.

As random gen as it is it always makes those road passes in the same place :jaded:

Since you make the code and understand the program better I thought you might know a trick or two to convince those roads to cross there.

Edited by Reytag (see edit history)

Hi Damocles, great work on the sliders feature. That said, I'm encountering an issue that I haven't seen since 467; sometimes a world gen will fail and all that'll be generated is biomes.png, genHM.png, radiation.png, and main.ttw; a preview subfolder is generated but is empty. I've been trying to debug and pinpoint what setting or combination of settings causes this, but so far it's been inconsistent. I'll attach the last config I tried. I've replaced my prefabslist with a compopack 40 one, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as with default settings worldgen works fine. Good luck.

Edit: finally found it! Seems to be related to the "no POIs in biome" setting. That seems to break it in conjunction with some other settings, unsure which precisely.

idVHhoV.png

Edited by Chairkicker (see edit history)

Great Tool, great Dude. Thx for that tool, awsome work, love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Damocles, great work on the sliders feature. That said, I'm encountering an issue that I haven't seen since 467; sometimes a world gen will fail and all that'll be generated is biomes.png, genHM.png, radiation.png, and main.ttw; a preview subfolder is generated but is empty. I've been trying to debug and pinpoint what setting or combination of settings causes this, but so far it's been inconsistent. I'll attach the last config I tried. I've replaced my prefabslist with a compopack 40 one, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as with default settings worldgen works fine. Good luck.

Edit: finally found it! Seems to be related to the "no POIs in biome" setting. That seems to break it in conjunction with some other settings, unsure which precisely.

idVHhoV.png

hi there, where you got the prefab list from ? i only have it for v.39.

#1 its just a hobby. Im sure TFP will put more work into RWG also, maybe adding more UI customization.

#2 I will change the stamp system in the future. There are percentages used internally, but the UI needs an update to use sliders.

#3 there is a flag called "unique" in the prefablist to only spawn it once (custom prefablists). Apart from that, most POIs need to be used several times for the POI distribution to work.

#4 A mini-map file is done at runtime. Nitrogen is only focusing on the world files. There are many other things I could mod, but that would spread the project to broadly.

#5 you can increase the number of connecting long distance roads. But too many would make the map look like a spaghetti plate, or be way too slow to generate.

#6 not sure what you mean. But the dead ends will be reduced when I use a new road generation system.

Wow 2 weeks have passed, you already added the ability to tune landscape in a percentage.

many thanks

can you add the possiblility to set the ratio of biomes in percent?

is this even possible?