A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

takes me around 234 to 250 minutes lol but worth it :-)

Oh, wow. That long huh? I guess I'll let it run over night then. So.. when using the default RWG that comes with the dedicated server, is it supposed to take just as long then? Cause, when its been sitting at "Generating Detail Data" for 2ish hours, I figured it was not going to move on and I stopped the process. I generated 16k worlds in A17 and while my memory is too bad to remember how long it took, I feel like it must have taken a lot less time.

Also, at the same time. Is this world for the A18 experimental version or does it work with the stable version as well? I don't know which version I should be using.

The generation time also depends on the number of cities, towns and other POIs.

The road generation is taking up a lot of performance. So a densely packed map will take quite some time.

In an older version I could generate a 16k on default settings in about 35 minutes. But this time will increase the more things are on the map.

And how powerful your computer is of course.

I suggest turning off the preview map if your run into problems.

The worlds are the same quality. You just have to check it then ingame.

A meaningful compromise would be a 12k map. Quite bigger than 8, bit not as taxing as 16k.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

The generation time also depends on the number of cities, towns and other POIs.

The road generation is taking up a lot of performance. So a densely packed map will take quite some time.

In an older version I could generate a 16k on default settings in about 35 minutes. But this time will increase the more things are on the map.

And how powerful your computer is of course.

I suggest turning off the preview map if your run into problems.

The worlds are the same quality. You just have to check it then ingame.

A meaningful compromise would be a 12k map. Quite bigger than 8, bit not as taxing as 16k.

Thank you for the replies, and your work on the tool <3

I'm currently generating a 16k world without preview, and since I'm heading to bed soon I'll just let it run over night. If I put more thought into that, I should have just left the preview on then, but oh well :)

Yeah, for some reason I don't remember waiting this long to generate 16k worlds in previous versions. That's why I figured it was stuck and wasn't going to continue since it was at the same step for so long.

You could technically use an older version of NitroGen for A17 (some parts where improved for visual quality, but also take more processing power).

Just copy over the prefabslist.txt from the new version (new POIs), and also run the splat3 map though the splatfixer app (in the tools folder) after generation.

And copy over any main.ttw from a A18 map. (the size of the other map does not matter)

got some errors during generating

csv error line:xcostum_icestadium(by_magoli),COMMERCIAL;DOWNTOWN;INDUSTRIAL;RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,2,-8,46,17,41,industrial,smalltown

D:\NitroGen_WorldGenerator_A18\NitroGen_WorldGenerator/output/NitroGenMap1/biomes.png not TYPE_INT_RGB, copy type 6 -> 1

Hi Damocles

I finally found the time to read completly through this thread.

It was nice to see the tool growing up and getting better and better. Learned some new stuff too.

so now I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to generate a map with just a few of these Cityblock-cities(Manhattan-style) mixed in inbetween those other style towns (european style) ??

2. Have you already found the time to throw an eye on that extra generic-zones we talked about ???

Would be cool if you could implement not just 3 but 5 freely setable zones - thx ahead

3. does Nitrogen considers the "RotationToFaceNorth"-command from the prefabs xml files ?

Does Nitrogen reads the xmls at all ?

bth I haven't played around very much with Nitrogen yet - sry - just generated 6 or 7 maps yet.

But iam impressed more and more about what u did with Nitrogen so far.

Iam looking forward to more further upcoming features that gives the users more and detailed control over the mapgeneration

cheers

Good to see you mag. :)

Nitrogen is a great tool, I'm certain that once you really understand it, you will love it.

Because it also has configuration files, you could, in theory, release a NitroGen compopack that takes advantage of the features in his configuration file.

Think of the config.txt file in nitrogen/resources/ as NitroGen's rwgmixer.xml file.

Hi Damocles

I finally found the time to read completly through this thread.

It was nice to see the tool growing up and getting better and better. Learned some new stuff too.

so now I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to generate a map with just a few of these Cityblock-cities(Manhattan-style) mixed in inbetween those other style towns (european style) ??

2. Have you already found the time to throw an eye on that extra generic-zones we talked about ???

Would be cool if you could implement not just 3 but 5 freely setable zones - thx ahead

3. does Nitrogen considers the "RotationToFaceNorth"-command from the prefabs xml files ?

Does Nitrogen reads the xmls at all ?

bth I haven't played around very much with Nitrogen yet - sry - just generated 6 or 7 maps yet.

But iam impressed more and more about what u did with Nitrogen so far.

Iam looking forward to more further upcoming features that gives the users more and detailed control over the mapgeneration

cheers

1 : I can add a mixed version

2 : There will be custom settlements in the next version. So you have different types (towns, settlements like the farms, and remote outback POIs) that are new zones. So you can assign a certain style of POIs just for that settlement-type.

3: the rotation is only taken into account for calculating alignment. The POIs dont yet face to a certain position like a main street.

The xmls from RWG are not read at all. The only information is from the prefabs definitions. But thats mostly to prepare the prefabslist.txt

Ok, new version online. (v 0.431)

A small bugfix when having no towns and cities (almost empty map), but trying to calculate roads.

AND: a first iteration on custom zones for modding:

(this will not affect normal generation unless you add something to the prefablist.txt)

Add POIs to those custom zones. The settlements will only spawn if any POI is assigned to them, else the custom settlement is ignored

//(towns have a main asphalt road, the number indicates the number of POIs spawned in this custom town)

custom_town_size_15

custom_town_size_12

custom_town_size_10

custom_town_size_8

//(settlements have a gravel road)

custom_settlement_size_10

custom_settlement_size_8

custom_settlement_size_5

custom_settlement_size_3

//(outback POIs have a single dead-end road leading towards them)

custom_outback_size_4

custom_outback_size_3

custom_outback_size_2

custom_outback_size_1

In the UI there is a dropdown indicating how many of those custom settlement should spawn.

If none are assigned in the prefabslist (as in the default list), they will not spawn any custom settlement.

You can use this to create your own town or settlement style with your own selection of POIs.

Since the UI cant assign each zone type a size also, the custom zones reference the number of POIs that will spawn in this type of settlement.

example:

xcostum_TittyTwister(by_Sorrowthief),COMMERCIAL;RESIDENTIALOLD,0,0,32,10,31,custom_town_size_8;custom_outback_size_1

this will spawn the POI in a custom "tittytown" with 8 POIs per town, or as a single POI in the landscape

You could turn off all other cities, towns and settlement to see only the custom ones spawn

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Does this world generator mantain the a18 change of lots of non dungeon POIs? I just started and the world looks awesome, but every POI I found (still early) was a dungeon. I loved how a18 introduced lots of non dungeon POIs again

Please, Id really like to know, bc Im deciding if continuing that game. Does nitrogen add also lots of non dungeon POIs, or are they all dungeons?

Once you 2 (mag and damoc) are in snyc & collaborating we're gonna be in RWG utopia. I can't wait. Hopefully it works with the mining mod that adds copper and zinc to make brass https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131108-MeanCloud-s-Mining-modlet-(A18)-with-copper-zinc-and-excavators.

I can't wait, it's gone be awesome.

It does work with the mining mod. You have to add the prefabs in the mining mod to the prefabs folder then you need to place the rwg lines into the prefab.list.txt and follow how nitrogen has it and the zinc and copper veins appear . On generation thru nitrogen