A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Great tool... but I can't expand the fields to read what they say. Fields remain truncated even when I maximize the program. Also tried adjusting other screen settings. It's probably something simple... but then again, I'm simpler![ATTACH=CONFIG]28164[/ATTACH]

Looks like you have the Windows fonts scaled up. Are you running on a 4k monitor? The layout is not very dynamic (Java is a pain to use layout managers, so the elements have fixed dimensions here). I can see if the fonts can be forced to their original size, so its as least readable.

... running terrain generation ...

Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

at java.awt.image.DataBufferByte.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.image.Raster.createInterleavedRaster(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(Unknown Source)

at nitrogen.terraingen.c.b(Unknown Source)

at nitrogen.gui.NitroGenUI.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I made edits to start.bat for both 2g and 4g but upon running start.bat nothing started. and if i run the start.bat as normal i get the above message... kinda strange how it not working win 10 x64.

I made edits to start.bat for both 2g and 4g but upon running start.bat nothing started. and if i run the start.bat as normal i get the above message... kinda strange how it not working win 10 x64.

First: unter the same downloadlink in the start post, there is a newer version (0.22c),

apart from that: you could also assign 6 Gigabytes, that should be enough.

java -Xmx6G -jar nitrogen.jar

Did you try to generate 16k maps? With 8k maps, and a 64 bit java 1.8 i dont need to increase the heap.

I shall re-download the newest issue of the program now.

& No i ONLY interested in 8K map size.

- - - Updated - - -

When i use the following "java -Xmx6G -jar nitrogen.jar" it not even starting so same issue with the 2g and 4g again now with the 6g.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again same issue...

creating output directory: NitroGenMap C:\Users\----\Desktop\NitroGen_WorldGenerator\output\NitroGenMap

output directory created

running generation thread

And thats all it does... at a loss why now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats was with out editing any setting in the main program.

https://i.imgur.com/xWRlEUc.png

As you can see with the image above i am useing the latest copy of the program and nothing is working as intended... ????

- - - Updated - - -

...And now if i run the nitrogen.jar i get the following message in the main program window...

Current working directory: C:\Windows\system32

(please check if this is valid)

Could find resources, working directory seems to be set wrong. Please check the installation loaction.

wrong working directory, generation aborted

can you check your java version?

comandline:

java -version

--

The error message for aborting the generation is a security check to avoid creating files in a wrong location. If it cant find the local resource files it aborts generation. The cause is that its current working directory is not set the same where the jar and resources folders are. Im not sure if this is due to a Windows access restricting in your case.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

can you check your java version?

comandline:

java -version

--

The error message for aborting the generation is a security check to avoid creating files in a wrong location. If it cant find the local resource files it aborts generation. The cause is that its current working directory is not set the same where the jar and resources folders are. Im not sure if this is due to a Windows access restricting in your case.

Java version is the latest as i re-downloaded it and re-installed it a couple of times, anyway

"Java Version 8 Update 201 (build 108_201-b09)"

If i run nitrogen.jar i understand that error, But what i do NOT understand is why running java.bat its starts the program but says it going to generate the world but in fact does absolute naff all.....

The jar and all resources folders are in the same folder on my desktop. So why running the nitrogen.jar cant find the resources folders is strange to say the least..

AS you can see in the image below all files are in the same folder....

https://i.imgur.com/NxEuFBw.png

And so running nitrogen.jar is a NO GO! because apparently the resources are NOT in the same folder.... *SIGH*

And running start.bat starts the program ok but thats all nothing else... *SIGH*

I was mostly asking if you run the 64 bit or 32 bit version of Java.

The 32 bit might have problems increasing the heap space large enough.

With 64 bit, java -version will state something like "64-bit server VM"

With 32 bit build it will state something like win-32

Usually the java being used is the one found by its installation folder in your path environment variable.

echo %PATH%

will show a list of the system folders. You might point to a 32 bit installation here.

I have a similar behavior when using a 32 bit version.

But on this with the parameters

java -Xmx1400m -jar nitrogen.jar

(reserving 1.4 GB heap)

I could at least build a 4k map.

Now, I can only recommend you to open the console, "cd" to your installation directory, and run the program directly from the console, using the -Xmx1400m heap-extension parameter.

Hello once again Damocles, I really love your tool and finally give a go on heightmap generation.

I used https://terrain.party/ and it works perfectly first time.

Generated a Mountain region and it was smooth, landscape was really good.

After that i give a go on an island map based on an actual heightmap too and that didn't work as well tbf, the generator placed most of the POI s under water and generated roads to go there (which brokes the water obviously). Is it possible to set the minimal height the poi's will generate?

Thanks for the good work and keep updating this much excellent custom world generator :)

Hello once again Damocles, I really love your tool and finally give a go on heightmap generation.

I used https://terrain.party/ and it works perfectly first time.

Generated a Mountain region and it was smooth, landscape was really good.

After that i give a go on an island map based on an actual heightmap too and that didn't work as well tbf, the generator placed most of the POI s under water and generated roads to go there (which brokes the water obviously). Is it possible to set the minimal height the poi's will generate?

Thanks for the good work and keep updating this much excellent custom world generator :)

Hi, the water level for large lakes is fixed at 34, Pois will spawn above 35 if they find space. They have a minimum hight to account for Pois with larger underground structures.

You need to make sure that the island is above 35 (rgb value for each color). Eg, editing the terrain in a gfx editor.

Roads will find the shortest path, but on an island will have to cut water. There are no bridges yet. Better is not to have large islands for now. You could add a land passage manually as a workaround, so the roads will use the land.

OK so running 64-bit Java for Windows. (re-downloaded & re-installed once again. This was after wipeing out the install of windows from the m.2 and started over again to rule out any installation issues or OS bugs.

So now i will test your fine program once again and will report back some time in the future. Thank You For All Your Help With This Minor Situation.

I hope it all works out now.

Yes indeed it has,

682314664_NitrogenampTaskManager.jpg.4bb922c80602d51b33bb43da49388bf9.jpg

running generation thread

C:\Users\ \Desktop\NitroGen/resources/TEST_512_REL_TILED_NoiseTurbulence.png not TYPE_4BYTE_ABGR, copy type 5 -> 6

exporting (1/3)

exporting (2/3)

Save to : C:\Users\ \Desktop\NitroGen/output/NitroGenMap/genHM.png

image saved: C:\Users\ \Desktop\NitroGen/output/NitroGenMap/genHM.png

exporting (3/3)

Save to : C:\Users\ \Desktop\NitroGen/output/NitroGenMap/biomes.png

image saved: C:\Users\ \Desktop\NitroGen/output/NitroGenMap/biomes.png

... terrain generation ... DONE ...

... running world mapping ...

(1/36)

(2/36)

(3/36)

(4/36)

(5/36)

(6/36)

(7/36)

(8/36)

(9/36)

(10/36)

(11/36)

(12/36)

(13/36)

(14/36)

(15/36)

(16/36)

(17/36)

(18/36)

(19/36)

(20/36)

(21/36)

(22/36)

(23/36)

(24/36)

(25/36)

(26/36)

(27/36)

(28/36)

(29/36)

(30/36)

(31/36)

(32/36)

(33/36)

(34/36)

(35/36)

(36/36)

exporting (1/4)

exporting (2/4)

exporting (3/4)

exporting (4/4)

... world mapping ... DONE ...

FINISHED GENERATING NEW WORLD

Total time taken: 2 min 27 sec <------- Fantastic :cocksure:

This was just a test run useing all default settings.

Now the main test going to change some perams and make my custom map!

Thank you once again for all your help just typical windows issues thinking of it as just another value added feature to windows 10...

Happy Days! & Kindest Regards. Thank You For All Your Hard Work. ;)

Great tool :) The bat files don't seem to work, for some reason, but loading the JAR file directly works fine.

Is there any way to add in additional biomes to the generation from a user standpoint? Or is that all contained within the code itself?

Currently the terrain biomes/landscapes are defined in code. I can have a look at making this more flexible and configurable in the future, and have more selection of landscapes in general.

You CAN however import your own hightmaps already (greyscale png images), if you have a specific goal how the world should look like.

There is a very simply map included as an example, that I have drawn quickly in a graphics editor.

It will then import the hightmap and populate it with POIs, roads and spawnpoints.

---

Its just a hobby project for me in the end. Working on an alternative RWG was the easiest fruit to pick. Things like making a new AI would be nice to do, but its closed source game-code in the end, so it would be pretty inconvenient to "mod". I would rather just write the gamecode directly...

-----

@ DigitalSanctuary: glad that it worked out. I know its quite a hassle to get software running if some element is not configured as needed, and track the problem down.

@ DigitalSanctuary: glad that it worked out. I know its quite a hassle to get software running if some element is not configured as needed, and track the problem down.

Yes indeed i never lost faith that this would work and now that it is well its no game over its added a new lease of life for the game..

Thanks Once Again! :smile-new:

whoops, wrongly posted. how can one delete a post?

Oh well, as long as it's here... The amount of data just for cookies transferred from oracle.com was higher than the data of the website itself. Isn't that nice. And then they recommend using internet explorer *g*

Do you think it's possible to port this to a programming language that's created/maintained by a more responsible company?

This post can be deleted at any time please!!!

Edited by ecv (see edit history)

• SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - a Random World Generator for 7DTD
  • SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE
  • SylenThunder locked this topic