A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Hey there Damocles, I used Nitrogen for A17 a lot because vanilla maps were just horrible. Now I like landscape in A18 very much (especially desert), but cities are worse than ever. You made every city have traders and skyscrapers like back in A16 so I was wondering is there a way to generate a vanilla map with your cities? Thanks for great tool, cheers!

Hey there Damocles, I used Nitrogen for A17 a lot because vanilla maps were just horrible. Now I like landscape in A18 very much (especially desert), but cities are worse than ever. You made every city have traders and skyscrapers like back in A16 so I was wondering is there a way to generate a vanilla map with your cities? Thanks for great tool, cheers!

There is a tool in Nitrogen that can covert the dtm.raw hightmap from vanilla to a png. Then you can import the png (see readme) to be used as basis for the hightmap. (Change the gen mode) After the map is finished, use the RWG biomes.png and overwrite the generated one.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Just finished reading the entire thread (pat's himself on the back). Learned a few interesting things. So first of all thanks to everybody's input and Damocles for this great tool. Pretty much have all my questions answered but one. I did get mentioned a few times throughout the thread but not really explained so here goes;

Have myself a winner of a map after some time working on a heightmap and trying several nitrogen configs/settings. But the roads are all over the place, too much for my liking. So currently i have a generated map with city grids but no roads between poi's. Those i would like to do myself by hand. Now, it got mentioned a couple times that roads could be done by altering the splat map (splat3 i suppose?). But my confused little brain can't figure out how. Could anyone please give an explanation on how to do this? My splat3's are empty, blank.

I tried lining up poi's on either 45 or 90 degree angles and making straight paths between them using the mask. Then made sure to keep the height (from the heightmap) uniform. I was hoping this would force nice straight, single, roads instead of the spaghetti mess. But no success.

So if someone knows how to manually place roads, please do tell!

Technically speaking, the splat3 format is ABGR with alpha set to 0 and only the R and B channels used. 255 R for asphalt and 255 G for dirt.

The blue channel will create some lighter gravel.

You would need to “unerase” the image, setting alpha to 255 to see the map.

Not sure if your graphics program can save it in that format.

The game can cause errors in rendering if the values are not set right.

I can add a “fixer” tool down the line to make editing easier.

drop mags compopack into your prefabs folder

use the parser tool in nitrogens tools folder to "read" the prefabs

it will generate a list of the prefabs that YOU HAVE TO EDIT

look throught the list and remove pois you dont want (too big,ugly or doesnt make sense,fps hitching,falling apart)

add your edits to nitrogens prefablist.txt in /Nitrogen/resources folder

Anyone else having issues Generating maps with the b149? I get an Out of Bounds Array error. Using the latest version of Nitrogen as well. Also, seems to be trying load b139's world file. Wondering if b149 had some RWG updates that means Nitrogen needs an update?

Update, tried an 8k map and besides it loading a b139 world file, it loaded up fine. Seems anything above that is causing errors.

Edited by Anric (see edit history)

Anyone else having issues Generating maps with the b149? I get an Out of Bounds Array error. Using the latest version of Nitrogen as well. Also, seems to be trying load b139's world file. Wondering if b149 had some RWG updates that means Nitrogen needs an update?

Update, tried an 8k map and besides it loading a b139 world file, it loaded up fine. Seems anything above that is causing errors.

I have not have time to check the newest A18 build. Anyone else having trouble with the latest?

NitroGen is running completely stand alone. Any bug during generation is not caused by the game changing.

- - - Updated - - -

I download Java....and it still says app requires java runtime eniv 1.8.... what the heck?

There can be several java versions installed in parallel. Use the console command

java -version

To see which one is the active one

Windows cmd

That DOS looking app.

With java -version you can check if java is active (set up) and what version is loaded

The bat files start NitroGen directly using the current java version. If they dont work, java is not set up correctly.

If the program works but runs out if memory, its likely that an older 32 bit java is active

Console command where?

I just installed it into my pc from the link that opens up on your post :/

and it's in my C: drive.

Not sure what you mean

I could not get Java to work using Chrome, or any other browser. I had to install the Opera browser. Its the only way i was able to start using NitroGen. All other browsers will not allow Java to work anymore. It took me a while to figure that out. If there is another way to do it through Chrome i couldn't find it (but i'm not good at this stuff anyway). Maybe worth a mention if there is a way to do it for those of us that can't figure that out.

I just downloaded the old file and change a few line in it that were changed in the new combo pack. Added in what ever it said it was missing when generating a map, from the original. I could be doing everything wrong. Never found this pharse program in my resource file.

Got it to work its not perfect

https://file.io/ciYc3t Hope that works for you also. Credit to the person who made the old combo prefab file.

Edited by Elsher (see edit history)

Well, there is always the manual way to load the prefabs in the ingame editor and noting down the dimensions. If its not a whole lot of prefabs.

I can add a tool for parsing the binary files later.

was only about 10 changes

A17 work:

- repaired xcostum_CityPark(by_Spider) changed cabinettextures to stonetextures

- repaired xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz) (changed yoffset to -2 and copyairblocks=True)

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************************

- EXECUTED CONVERTION FROM A17 to A18 !!!

(62 blocks has changed/namechanged or removed - thx Pille for the whole work on the Conversation)

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************************

A18 work:

(work in build 139):

- removed prefab: xvanilla_cornfield_md

- removed prefab: xvanilla_cornfield_sm

- removed prefab: xvanilla_potatofield1

- renamed xvanilla_army_camp(universal) to xcostum_army_camp(universal)

- renamed xvanilla_Trailerhousemix01 to xcostum_Trailerhousemix01

- renamed xvanilla_Trailerhousemix02 to xcostum_Trailerhousemix02

- renamed xvanilla_Trailerhousemix03 to xcostum_Trailerhousemix03

- renamed xvanilla_Trailerhousemix04 to xcostum_Trailerhousemix04

- took over all relevant A18-Vanilla-Prefabs that can spawn in RWG (amount of 335) - new prefix: xvanilla_

(because of nasty waterblock-bug and xml-modifications that are needed for better spawning (Allowed Township / Allowed Zone / Allowed Biome)

- changed block257 : waterMovingBucket to block 256 : terrWaterPOI (in all prefabs)

- changed block258 : waterMovingBucket to block 256 : terrWaterPOI (in all prefabs)

- changed block259 : waterMovingBucket to block 256 : terrWaterPOI (in all prefabs)

- changed block260 : waterMovingBucket to block 256 : terrWaterPOI (in all prefabs)

replaced missing waterblock (id256) in following prefabs:

"vanilla_abandoned_house_08.tts"

"vanilla_cabin_11.tts"

"vanilla_cave_01.tts"

"vanilla_cave_02.tts"

"vanilla_factory_lg_02.tts"

"vanilla_hotel_new_01.tts"

"vanilla_hotel_roadside_02.tts"

"vanilla_house_modern_04.tts"

"vanilla_house_old_ranch_03.tts"

"vanilla_oldwest_business_04.tts"

"vanilla_oldwest_watertower.tts"

"vanilla_remnant_house_02.tts"

"vanilla_school_k6.tts"

"vanilla_skyscraper_01.tts"

"vanilla_utility_waterworks_01.tts"

"vanilla_water_tower_01.tts"

"vanilla_water_tower_02.tts"

"vanilla_water_tower_03.tts"

From the one posted here for alpha 17

Generating a 16k world. its only using around 20% of my ram, so its not that bad.....staring at the 128gb my task manager is showing I have.... So uhhh, yeah 16k world gen is using about 20 gigs or so. Also a hell of a lot quicker then having the game open and trying to get the world to gen in it. tryed to gen a 16k map last night ingame with a wonderful mod and it took 3 hours for 37%. I have a 2950x. With this tool, ive had it running for around an hour and its almost done? 729/733. at any rate, I havnt gotten an error yet so thats good news! thanks for this tool. I love 16k maps and was sad when they removed it from the game.

EDIT; peaked at 25 gigs and took 65 min 24 sec to generate a 16k world with a 2950x at 4.1, 128gb 2933 raml, and on a nvme ssd for comparison. Here is the settings I used to make the world. https://imgur.com/a/ZrNNXAl

Edited by thatloopydude
Adding more info (see edit history)

Generated a 4k world in like 45 seconds... I missed this wonderful tool somehow. Will let you know if I find issues.

*update*

Works absolutely wonderful! I tried generating a 2048 map (min claimed to be supported in the 7days config) to see if it works (program said experimental ofc), but it generated a 4k map instead and ignored my request lol. No biggie, was just curious if it worked. There are some random 2x2 smooth holes, but they're rare. They kinda look like something was supposed to go there.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

A18 version: added a small tool calld "SplatFixer".

(-> all other parts are the same as 0.411, no need to update if you dont need this tool.)

This can be used to convert incompatible splat3 (road) images to the correct A18 format. (also fixing older A17 splat3).

Its easier to edit those images.

It can also output a debug image, that is easier to look at in the windows explorer, or use as layer in photoshop.

So you can also use it to make correct splat images "visible" again.

The debug image should not be used ingame!