A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

I already analysed their RWG. Its a bit different than my approach on placing stamps. And the had someone really spend time on collecting nice terrain stamps.

They look like some work went into them.

Roads are also more adaptive to the terrain than in the old version. (Funnily they have some similar problems making them smooth as I have experiences in edge cases)

Lets see if they also make the biome-distribution more diverse.

Currently its always the same biome-layout.

Next is to see what POIs where added/changed, and updating my list.

-----

Nitrogen maps work fortunately (no changes to the file formats). The prefab-list is not up to date, and several POIs get ignored (some might have changed dimensions since a17 too).

Best is to copy over a main.ttw file from an existing RWG A18 map, replacing the included one.

So if we use Nitrogen and copy teh main.ttw from A18 then all is good? I miss my flat map. :)

So the stamps are for whole regions, rather than geographical features? That's got some merit, but far from ideal. The best combination would be to use 1024x1024 and maybe 2048x2048 stamps as a canvas of sorts, with 256x256 and 512x512 stamps used to add detail, such as valleys, mountains, craters, and such.

Being 16bit is objectively better, however. Allows for much more detail in the terrain.

In nitrogen there is a separate tool called DTMtoPNG that can be used to convert their stamps to a greyscale PNG image, if you want to have a look at the stamps. (They are in the data folder of 7DtD, such as hills02.raw)

Alpha 18 (test) version

Includes the new POIs, and fixed some smaller issues in the prefab-list.

I'd like to add, this avoids the terrain slicing on AMD cards. Not sure what you are doing differently, but I LIKE IT! RWG on Vanilla 7D2D RWG is simply unplayable/believable as a landscape because of the never end terrain cuts.

THANKS!

Not sure if it has been brought up before, but my biggest pet peeve in RWG are those circular out of place terrain pieces around some kind of small POI.

Capture.jpg.622339a841a55d599fa83de4c50076bd.jpg

What is WEIRD, is the only way I have found to get rid of them is to turn off All lake options and use a import_HM.png for your world in order to get water.

Why that makes them disappear is unclear to me, but I would love an option to remove them from the game world as it really breaks the feeling of a "real" location due to how unnatural they appear.

Looks like the "craters" for small lakes.

The small lakes generate a crater to ensure that water will not leak over the edge (causing the whole map to flood). They can be turned off by setting small lakes to none.

The preview-map does not show the small lakes as water, only a small dot for the location of the water spawner.

Small lakes are mainly a way to ensure a relatively even distribution of water sources, it the player lives in an area remote from big lakes or water towers.

They can exist in higher elevations, while the big lakes have a set water level for the whole map.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Its the game, and its texture-management (texture streaming etc).

Cant do anything from the map-generation side here.

Large towns with lots of unique POIs will probably be quite demanding on the number of textures to load.

I suppose the game (or the Unity texture management) will get more optimized in the future.

anyone know what i do wrong ?

i can generate a 16k map in 15 min but when i go to new game and start the map it always says run out of memory or something like that when the console pops up. I would love to play a 16k map and i did in the alpha 17 but is this because i only have 16gb ram and a 8gb graphics card or ?

Try to create a 12k map first. (12288 x 12288)

Set the map size to custom, and then enter 12288 in the field on the bottom.

But with alpha 17 it worked just fine, i will try your solution its just when loading the map to get ingame that it wont react or says run out of memory. it generates just fine.

But with alpha 17 it worked just fine, i will try your solution its just when loading the map to get ingame that it wont react or says run out of memory. it generates just fine.

The map is the same as for A17. Only the POI list changed. But the game is more resource demanding.

- - - Updated - - -

First thanks for this great mod to create incredible maps, but I also have the problem of roads with blurred textures, only happens with NITROGEN maps. Sorry for my use English translator ja ja.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]

Nitrogen spawns more POIs, and closer together than RWG.

The game simply runs out of texture space to load, switching to the lower res mip-maps.

Check the roads when loading the game in the wilderness (less textures assigned).

First thanks for this great mod to create incredible maps, but I also have the problem of roads with blurred textures, only happens with NITROGEN maps. Sorry for my use English translator ja ja.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]

This is exactly what I’m seeing, with 8 gig of Ram on vid card. Weird

and it generates based on name right?

No, the name is not seeded. Its taking a random seed, independent of the name.

Seeds dont make much sense, as there are lots of configurations that would all have to be the same for seeds to be reusable.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly what I’m seeing, with 8 gig of Ram on vid card. Weird

My roads look fine in an 8k map.

I have 6 GB video ram.

In town, the there are so many block-types, entities and objects, that the game will load a lot of textures.

We have to see how the game or Unity will improve texture streaming.

16k maps will also load a lot of data (splat maps, terrain maps) that also use a lot of memory.

Try exiting and restarting the game.

Also close NitroGen to make sure it is not hogging memory when running the game.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)