A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Works fine with 17.3, I have not noticed an issue with it yet.

There where no file-format or POI changes as far as I have checked. You can ignore the 17.2 load warning, its just stating that it was designed for 17.2

On the first post, at the bottom, there is a short tutorial by zootal about setting up a dedicated server with the map.

New Version 0.255 (same download link) online

v 0.255:

- added rivers (first iteration)

- preview map shows (approximate) base water level

- higher chance of parking lots spawning (more cars to loot)

- (convenience) option to directly open 7DtD save/generated worlds folder

- added an executable wrapper, that controls the java runtime to load, and hints the user if java requires another installation

you can still open/run the jar directly, but the exe might help users who have issues running the program

Damocles,

Another request for you for an upcoming version. Bear with me, last time I did Java, 32-bit 5.x was the new hotness, so I'm making some assumptions about your code.

It appears there is no "weighting" for the chances any given POI will spawn in your given zones. The cities I get generated usually have several of the rare/valuable POIs like hospitals, shotgun factories, shamway factories, pharma towers, etc right next to each other. So I'm making an assumption that when generating POIs, you just dump all the POIs for a given zone into an array or tree map, and use a rand from 1 to arraysize to pick one each time.

So, what if you added a column to prefablist.txt that allows the user to add a weight, which translates directly to the number of times that prefab is added to the array, increasing (or decreasing) the chances it would be picked? Like an old D&D treasure table. Treat anything null, or less than 1 as 1, so it stays compatible with the existing file.

This could let you do some interesting things, like make cities with fewer of the good POIs, and lots of the burned out buildings. Or lots of Victorian/Tudor houses, and very few New/Under Construction houses. Or lots of the good POIs, and less of the burned up buildings, to represent an area that survived the bombings and just got overrun with zombies. Maybe you just want more of the under construction houses, or the old-style Shotgun Messiah, PopNPills or Working Stiffs.

You could do this to an extent now, by adjusting what buildings can appear in what zones, and tagging some as unique, but its pretty limited when you start talking about a map vs 1 city.

Edit: Haha, figures. Exactly the same minute I post this, you post something implying that you DO have control over how much a given POI spawns, e.g. parking lots.

Edited by stample (see edit history)

V 2.55b -> removed the biome from the rivers, looked stupid in the desert areas

@stample:

There are a few mechanics in place for POI distribution

-POIs can be assigned to be unique (for custom prefab lists)

-Settlements (cities, towns, farms, rednecks, oldtowns) try not to repeat POIs if possible, they will look for a different one, unless all have bee used already.

-Cities, towns, and rednecks have a list of POI zone-types to populate, to have those settlements have a certain POI type distribution (controlled by the zones-types).Cities thus have a center, a downtown area, housing and industry.

-I did not actually implement a weighting system for POIs. So they do have all the same weight. Its however possible to increase the chance of a POI spawning: i double their entry in the prefabs list ... very crude, but for now that suffices i guess. (Was used here to increase the chance a bit to spawn POIs with many cars)

A weighting system would be possible later, but I rather keep the complexity down, unless its necessary.

I would probably rather introduce new zone-types, wich allows to control a category-group of POIs, rather than adding a weight to each POI.

A wrong weight might cause the generator to spawn a silly amount of radio-towers or stuff like that.

So there is also a potential for error in such parameters.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Hey Damocles and all map builders here,

thanks to Xylvier script I generated the CompoPack38 prefablist and spend some time editing it :p

I had to place the deepest poi (Sphinx3 and NSite) on mountains cos' their heights makes bugs if placed too low.

Lots of huge poi are placed alone and i edited the placement as I believe it would be best.

But it's my interpretation I haven't played in all of those POI atm so maybe a better placement for some may occur.

It may cause bugs especially if you try to maximize spawns of everything since those prefabs are huge for lot of them.

I uncomment some on my own for generation feel free to do the same.

He are 234 prefabs to add to the nitrogen prefablist at the end if you want to use CompoPack easily.

original prefablist finish with

water_tower_03,RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIALNEW;INDUSTRIAL,2,-1,10,15,13,farm;smalltown

you just copy paste after (using notepad++ or such) all the xcostum

Hope it will help some and thanks again Xylvier :)

Awesome thanks

If anyone has successfully integrated the Ravenhearst POIs into NitroGen, let me know.

I pasted the lines of the POIs into the NitroGen prefab file, as generously uploaded by Melts, but when I start the world generation up, the console reads, "Array index is out of range" and the world generation doesn't progress from there.

Edit: Found my answer here

Edited by Godessia (see edit history)

If anyone has successfully integrated the Ravenhearst POIs into NitroGen, let me know.

I pasted the lines of the POIs into the NitroGen prefab file, as generously uploaded by Melts, but when I start the world generation up, the console reads, "Array index is out of range" and the world generation doesn't progress from there.

Edit: Found my answer here

I have added a quick link to the post in the start post.

Good Work! The rivers look good.

Are they rounded (go around the circle) ? Or have a beginning and end ?

In the next iteration I can try to make them geographically more meaningful (always ending in a large body of water).

In this version I mainly wanted to have them in and see if there are any local issues with them in high terrain.

Excellent! So Damocles... Technically you could possibly generate a map with CompoPack by Magoli if you and Magoli where so inclined to do so? :) I've only just generated a world but haven't checked it yet. But on my first try i'm seeing a tonne of lakes on the previewmap image.

Sure, any custom prefabs just need to be represented in that prefablist.txt.

Then I dont see any issue importing them. (there is a script by Xylvier to help extracting the prefabs details, so you don need to manually insert the dimensions)

Its a bit of manual work then to assign the prefabs to a meaningful zone, so they dont just spawn randomly in the world.

In the next iteration I can try to make them geographically more meaningful (always ending in a large body of water).////

Whoa! I can't even imagine of an algorithm to do that!

In everyday life, You specialize in something like this ?

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

Whoa! I can't even imagine of an algorithm to do that!

In everyday life, You specialize in something like this ?

Making games or game related tools is just a hobby. I worked in the field for a while, but moved to a more "established" type of work.

Never wrote that type of world generator. So its fun .. until its not and I move on to something else.

Would be nice to fumble around in the ai code ... but its a closed source project of course, so I will continue doing that in my own projects then.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

Why not just use the zone info that's already in the prefab's xml?

Just curious.

They had a different focus, but the idea of zones (POI categories) was good, so I took over the idea.

Its quite convenient to change the look of settlements by adjusting to what zones a POI belongs to.

Looks like the program has no writing permissions to create the output files (radiation.png) here.

Maybe you can check your writing permissions, or try copy the generator and running it from a different drive like D:

Or start the program (exe) with Admin permissions.

Looks like the program has no writing permissions to create the output files (radiation.png) here.

Maybe you can check your writing permissions, or try copy the generator and running it from a different drive like D:

Or start the program (exe) with Admin permissions.

Running the .exe made it work! Thanks!

i'm still having massive troubles with the roads :( Perhaps what I want isn't possible at all, i don't know. I've made this testmap with that river I so love. Made my mask. I've uploaded the resulting preview. specially the center is troublesome to me. I really need to get rid of any roads going through masked zones :) And there's a whole city sitting on my river as well :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28293[/ATTACH]

I'd really hate to paint all roads by hand :) :)

Oh wow, the upload quality is abysmal. river goes from NE to SW, snaking it's way down.

Can you explain what you mean by mask? Is that water? And if so, how the heck did you do that?

I know how to customize roads and biomes, but hand placed water would really really really make my day.

Can you explain what you mean by mask? Is that water? And if so, how the heck did you do that?

I know how to customize roads and biomes, but hand placed water would really really really make my day.

In Nitrogen you can import your own hightmap, or edit a generated hightmap. The mask is an image that can be used to block off areas for roads and pois, and also set city spawn points. Water is automatically placed in low terrain (water level 34)

You can pretty much create your own custom world this way, without handplacing pois and roads.

There are several posts in this threat talking about the details.

There is also an example world in Nitrogen (import gen mode) to showcase the files needed.