A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Basically, I'm trying to accomplish 2 things.

Make it so that far more prefabs of certain types can be generated.

Adjust how much space ends up between prefabs in the wilderness. I know prefabs can be set to practically touch, what I'm trying to adjust is how much empty space ends up between "batches".

Prefab spawning via. prefablist.txt

Pretty sure all you would need to do is add/remove from the included prefablist.txt that resides in the Nitrogen/resources folder.

The custom sections (eg: custom_town_size_25, etc...) really helped me to get the cities looking like real cities and the towns are spread between, with villages and hamlets here and there in the wilderness. Zoning rules in the prefablist.txt file are really helpful, but they can be a lot of work/typing/mix'n'match and trial and error.

POI Spacing via. config.txt (also in the resources folder)

This one is governed by 3 settings in the config.txt file, POI_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_OTHER = #, MIN_DIST_OTHER_SETTLEMENT = # and
MIN_DIST_SETTLEMENT_TO_CITY = #. There is really no other way in Nitrogen to assign min/max proximity for buildings/poi's.

Also, as far as I can tell, the settings for terrain radius checks (eg: cityTerrainCheckRadius, townTerrainCheckRadius, etc...) can help you place larger or smaller poi's as well as tightening or relaxing the streets via. the drop-down select within Nitrogen.

Experiment with the settings, change config.txt values and mess around with the prefablist.txt poi zoning rules. Eventually you may get what you are trying to acheive but don't expect miracles. I'm still fighting with config-files and poi placements to this day, but that's cause I'm more into modding the world than actually playing for any length of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow map modders. I have been playing around with Nitrogen for quite some time now but there are a few things that I would like to figure out. Hopefully you all can help with that. 

Now I know how the mask.png works. I can edit it and limit where cities are spawned.

genHM.png and import_HM.png can be used to add mountain ranges and what not.

biomes.png can be used to specifiy where certain biomes are supposed to be.

Using the advanced settings you can get a combination of these things to work in tandem. For instance you can say: "use import_HM.png & mask.png" and these 2 files will be used to specify where everything will go. Biomes will then be based on the heightmap with the heights above a certain value (settable in the config files) becoming snow biome.

Using the setting: "reuse heighmap (genHM.png)" will actually use what is drawn in the heighmap AND what is drawn in the biomes to generate a new map.

Now the annoying bit is that these 2 options are mutually exclusive. Using hte first will ignore the biomes file and using the second one will ignore the mask. What I am after is a way to combine the whole thing. I want to be able to specify the colors of the biomes AND denote where cities are going to be. Is there a way to achieve that?

Hi Draghain,

Ive been working pretty much full time with Nitro since A17, and you can definitely achieve what you are trying to do, but it requires a few different methods and tools.

Once you learn how to paint biomes, you probably wont want to use Nitro for biome generation. Here is a video I did on biomes that should help to get you going.

I have a few other videos as well on map making. Please drop by my Discord channel, there are a handful of other modders Ive been teaching this to and learning new stuff from, its a good group of sharp modders.

https://discord.gg/tsmneMRk53

28 minutes ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Hi Draghain,

Ive been working pretty much full time with Nitro since A17, and you can definitely achieve what you are trying to do, but it requires a few different methods and tools.

Once you learn how to paint biomes, you probably wont want to use Nitro for biome generation. Here is a video I did on biomes that should help to get you going.

I have a few other videos as well on map making. Please drop by my Discord channel, there are a handful of other modders Ive been teaching this to and learning new stuff from, its a good group of sharp modders.

https://discord.gg/tsmneMRk53

Based on that video just a quick question. Once I have a map generated the way I want it to city wise. I can just replace the biomes.png file and that changes the way biomes are shows in game? There is no need to regenerate a new map?

2 minutes ago, Draghain said:

Based on that video just a quick question. Once I have a map generated the way I want it to city wise. I can just replace the biomes.png file and that changes the way biomes are shows in game? There is no need to regenerate a new map?

That is correct, yes, though you want to make sure to delete savegame. If you do not, sometimes the map will show nothing but snow lol, its very strange, but deleting the save file fixes it.

2 minutes ago, Cpt Krunch said:

That is correct, yes, though you want to make sure to delete savegame. If you do not, sometimes the map will show nothing but snow lol, its very strange, but deleting the save file fixes it.

Well this basically made my day. This was the biggest thing bothering me when it came to the map generation. The only other thing I am hunting for is ways to make areas in the map radiated (so similar to the map borders). If that works the same way then this just became an early x-mas for me. Thank you very much for your reply

13 minutes ago, Draghain said:

Well this basically made my day. This was the biggest thing bothering me when it came to the map generation. The only other thing I am hunting for is ways to make areas in the map radiated (so similar to the map borders). If that works the same way then this just became an early x-mas for me. Thank you very much for your reply

I was talking with another modder not that long ago, and there is a way to do it using the radiation file, but so far i have only used others mods to add rad to my maps. I will see if i can get instructions for you. You are very welcome, always makes me happy to see people making their own maps. Cheers

Edited by Cpt Krunch (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Draghain said:

Draghain ... Thanks!    For some reason no matter which URL I clicked for current, or older versions.  It did not work.  

After you posted I tried copying the URL and manually pasting into the browser address bar ... bingo!  It worked!

Thanks!

War and Peace,

UnknownSoldier

sorry my mistake it was a .ttw file not .ttf (edits to compensate)

temniy

Not sure if this will help you but I had the same/similar thing happen (a few 7Days versions ago) but this is what I did to fix it...

- Start 7 Days to Die as you normally would.

- Use the built in RWG to make a map, we will call this your world template (yes it takes awhile, but that's RWG for ya)

- When you spawn into the world, give it a minute to render, do a 360, smack some grass, run around in circles, whatever, just give it a minute or so

- Then exit the game normally (it will auto save)

- Find the save folder (X:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\GeneratedWorlds or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds) and inside that look for the file called main.ttw (the world template)

- Copy that file (main.ttw) to the Nitrogen\resources folder OVERWRITING the existing file (obviously BACKUP first)

- ONE THING to remember is that if you RWG an 8K map, then you should NitroGen an 8K map to stay consistent

(Ive used 4K templates to generate 8K worlds and not noticed anything weird but hey you never know so just stick to consistent)

Now you can use Nitrogen to generate worlds and they should complete generation without hanging.

I think the reason that things get stalled out is that Nitrogens main.ttw file is outdated compared to 7 Days generation rules, so updating the .ttw to current A19+ with the built in RWG kindda tricks Nitrogen into being more "compatible".

If you look into some of the .ttw files inside the main 7 Days "Worlds" folder (open them with Notepad, Notepad3, Notepad++, whichever, they are small so windows notepad will suffice) you can see that the version numbers are a lot older that current Alpha 19+ builds. As is the .ttw contained in Nitrogen.

Hope that sheds some light and hopefully gets you generating proper worlds again.

Below is an 8K map I compiled a few days ago with the above instructions, 'cause the new A19.4(b7) just went stable not to long ago.

I've been using the above method to update Nitrogen every time a new 7 Days alpha drops and I'd say 1-5 out of a 100 maps have failed.

previewMap-halfsized.png

Edited by bigstep70
formatting and added a map example (see edit history)

hi modder. i'm brand new to the 7days creator world. so far I have created maps and prefabs for Rust. now i would like to try my hand at this game but i have a big problem at the beginning. if I want to create a new map with nitrogen and have previously edited my heightmap with paint.net, the following message appears when loading the heightmap: importing Hightmap: 😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png
😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png: Image could not be read Can't read input file!
Could not import hightmap from 😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png
(don't be surprised, but I have deleted the complete path for my safety)
I hope someone can help me. since I am German translated with google translator. Thank you in advance for your help

9 hours ago, Silverridge said:

hi modder. i'm brand new to the 7days creator world. so far I have created maps and prefabs for Rust. now i would like to try my hand at this game but i have a big problem at the beginning. if I want to create a new map with nitrogen and have previously edited my heightmap with paint.net, the following message appears when loading the heightmap: importing Hightmap: 😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png
😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png: Image could not be read Can't read input file!
Could not import hightmap from 😄 \\ NitroGen_WorldGenerator_v0501 \ NitroGen_WorldGenerator / output / NitroGenMap / import_HM.png
(don't be surprised, but I have deleted the complete path for my safety)
I hope someone can help me. since I am German translated with google translator. Thank you in advance for your help

Hi @Silverridge

I would take a look thru the tutorial and guides channel which has some videos and info  that could help

On 3/15/2021 at 9:29 AM, bigstep70 said:

temniy

Not sure if this will help you but I had the same/similar thing happen (a few 7Days versions ago) but this is what I did to fix it...

- Use the built in RWG to make a map, we will call this your world template (yes it takes awhile, but that's RWG for ya)

- When you spawn into the world, give it a minute to render, do a 360, smack some grass, run around in circles, whatever, just give it a minute or so

- Find the save folder (X:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\GeneratedWorlds or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Worlds) and inside that look for the file called main.ttw (the world template)

- Copy that file (main.ttw) to the Nitrogen\resources folder OVERWRITING the existing file (obviously BACKUP first)

- ONE THING to remember is that if you RWG an 8K map, then you should NitroGen an 8K map to stay consistent

(Ive used 4K templates to generate 8K worlds and not noticed anything weird but hey you never know so just stick to consistent)

Now you can use Nitrogen to generate worlds and they should complete generation without hanging.

I think the reason that things get stalled out is that Nitrogens main.ttw file is outdated compared to 7 Days generation rules, so updating the .ttw to current A19+ with the built in RWG kindda tricks Nitrogen into being more "compatible".

If you look into some of the .ttw files inside the main 7 Days "Worlds" folder (open them with Notepad, Notepad3, Notepad++, whichever, they are small so windows notepad will suffice) you can see that the version numbers are a lot older that current Alpha 19+ builds. As is the .ttw contained in Nitrogen.

Hope that sheds some light and hopefully gets you generating proper worlds again.

Below is an 8K map I compiled a few days ago with the above instructions, 'cause the new A19.4(b7) just went stable not to long ago.

I've been using the above method to update Nitrogen every time a new 7 Days alpha drops and I'd say 1-5 out of a 100 maps have failed.

previewMap-halfsized.png

Thanks for advice but it doesn't work for me, unfortunately. Maybe someone know which process runs by running world mapping. 

On 3/15/2021 at 9:29 AM, bigstep70 said:

temniy

previewMap-halfsized.png

Okay, it's working) But 8k map has been generated for 24 minutes

Hi, I created a nice prefab to work with the Nitrogen world generator.

There were a few problems but I managed to solve them and the prefab spawns in perfectly.
However, I wanted to change the name of the prefab to add my friends name to give her some credit as well. 
This corrupted the prefab.
Is there any way to change the name without killing my prefab?

5 hours ago, smokingpaper said:

Hi, I created a nice prefab to work with the Nitrogen world generator.

There were a few problems but I managed to solve them and the prefab spawns in perfectly.
However, I wanted to change the name of the prefab to add my friends name to give her some credit as well. 
This corrupted the prefab.
Is there any way to change the name without killing my prefab?

Hi @smokingpaper

How did you change the file name. 

You should have a -

Prefabname.blocks.nim

Prefabname.ins

Prefabname.jpg (if you created a thumbnail)

Prefabname.mesh(if you created a mesh)

Prefabname.tts

Prefabbame.xml

make sure after your renaming these are st the end. The .blocks.nim file is different to the others. The others if you click to editing the prefab folder it only highlights the prefab name however with the. Blocks.nim it highlights prefabname.blocks annoying lol but make sure it is there.  Easy to fix just before. .nim add. Blocks.

I normally once saved go into the prefabs folder and edit name there works fine.

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

2 hours ago, stallionsden said:

Hi @smokingpaper

How did you change the file name. 

You should have a -

Prefabname.blocks.nim

Prefabname.ins

Prefabname.jpg (if you created a thumbnail)

Prefabname.mesh(if you created a mesh)

Prefabname.tts

Prefabbame.xml

make sure after your renaming these are st the end. The .blocks.nim file is different to the others. The others if you click to editing the prefab folder it only highlights the prefab name however with the. Blocks.nim it highlights prefabname.blocks annoying lol but make sure it is there.  Easy to fix just before. .nim add. Blocks.

I normally once saved go into the prefabs folder and edit name there works fine.

How did i change the filename? Like an idiot, thats how.

The mistake I made is renaming all the files at once and thinking the file type still would be alright.

I just renamed them properly and it worked like a charm!
Thank you a lot!

Here is the result.

Meet: Painokio Park!
A small/medium city park for friends and family to relax in.

You can even let your dogs out in a designated area!
Oh, and Painokio does love his trippy mushrooms! Even though he denies about it!

image.thumb.png.9f44d4b28cb1beb5d96b957b7f15c61f.pngimage.thumb.png.446b75813cfb698d1d4cd7d140cf1478.png
image.thumb.png.abda07b58d3bdc85345c12549411d359.png

I managed to rename the file to look like all the other xcostum_ files. Thanks a lot!
So where do i best upload the zipfiles the prefab files for those willing to check it out or have it spawn on their map?
Checked it both in vanilla RWG and Nitrogen RWG, they seem to spawn in quite nicely so far.
in nitrogen i set it to downtown and citycenter though, might want to change that.
Edit: Changed it to downtown only now.

image.png.4eee223c2422f4fa681dd34f9b8dc6ea.pngimage.thumb.png.a4a1c9e7baea8a11acbc077a4c6a7b7c.png image.thumb.png.d8434af29b0e1739835b04328a4cf649.png 

Edited by smokingpaper (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, smokingpaper said:

How did i change the filename? Like an idiot, thats how.

The mistake I made is renaming all the files at once and thinking the file type still would be alright.

I just renamed them properly and it worked like a charm!
Thank you a lot!

Here is the result.

Meet: Painokio Park!
A small/medium city park for friends and family to relax in.

You can even let your dogs out in a designated area!
Oh, and Painokio does love his trippy mushrooms! Even though he denies about it!

image.thumb.png.9f44d4b28cb1beb5d96b957b7f15c61f.pngimage.thumb.png.446b75813cfb698d1d4cd7d140cf1478.png
image.thumb.png.abda07b58d3bdc85345c12549411d359.png

I managed to rename the file to look like all the other xcostum_ files. Thanks a lot!
So where do i best upload the zipfiles the prefab files for those willing to check it out or have it spawn on their map?
Checked it both in vanilla RWG and Nitrogen RWG, they seem to spawn in quite nicely so far.
in nitrogen i set it to downtown and citycenter though, might want to change that.
Edit: Changed it to downtown only now.

image.png.4eee223c2422f4fa681dd34f9b8dc6ea.pngimage.thumb.png.a4a1c9e7baea8a11acbc077a4c6a7b7c.png image.thumb.png.d8434af29b0e1739835b04328a4cf649.png 

There is a prefabs thread you can post your prefab.

Welcome to also join the cp discord. Link is located here - 

Stallionsden