A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

I have just generated my first Nitro map with mega cities. It's so beautiful.

Seeing a cluster of 4 dishong towers and 5 higashi buildings within one city... after months of vanilla and wasting time for in-game random gen, this is like liquefied skittles blown into my mouth with a pressure washer.

I gotta ask though: since it takes about 90 seconds to create a bloated 8k map versus around 15 minutes in-game, what's the deal? Is the built-in generator so inferior or does Nitrogen skip something/lose some information? Cause if there are no drawbacks to using it then I'll never return to the in-game generator.

9 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

I have just generated my first Nitro map with mega cities. It's so beautiful.

Seeing a cluster of 4 dishong towers and 5 higashi buildings within one city... after months of vanilla and wasting time for in-game random gen, this is like liquefied skittles blown into my mouth with a pressure washer.

I gotta ask though: since it takes about 90 seconds to create a bloated 8k map versus around 15 minutes in-game, what's the deal? Is the built-in generator so inferior or does Nitrogen skip something/lose some information? Cause if there are no drawbacks to using it then I'll never return to the in-game generator.

Nitrogen takes a lot of shortcuts. It's not nearly as complex as the built-in tool. This has both plusses and minuses. Terrain generally isn't as smooth as stock RWG, though stock does have some areas that are pretty rough as well. You can customize the map a lot more with Nitrogen, especially in regards to POI and biome layout, but it's more likely to have placement bugs than the stock mixer.

Also keep in mind that Nitrogen has not been updated for a19.0 stable, much less up to a19.3. As a result, the process it's using is a few versions behind the default RWG mixer, and this creates some major compatibility issues. Right now it's basically "use at your own risk" tool, that may cause game-breaking bugs, and may not ever be updated again.

The community is pretty handy though, and if you've got questions or issues, they are very open to assisting.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:03 AM, vquocbao said:

I'm trying to find coal in a map I generated. Is coal only found in the burnt forest zone? Or can coal veins be found else where also?

I've found coal in the regular forest on the map I generated.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:06 AM, SylenThunder said:

Nitrogen takes a lot of shortcuts. It's not nearly as complex as the built-in tool. This has both plusses and minuses. Terrain generally isn't as smooth as stock RWG, though stock does have some areas that are pretty rough as well. You can customize the map a lot more with Nitrogen, especially in regards to POI and biome layout, but it's more likely to have placement bugs than the stock mixer.

Also keep in mind that Nitrogen has not been updated for a19.0 stable, much less up to a19.3. As a result, the process it's using is a few versions behind the default RWG mixer, and this creates some major compatibility issues. Right now it's basically "use at your own risk" tool, that may cause game-breaking bugs, and may not ever be updated again.

The community is pretty handy though, and if you've got questions or issues, they are very open to assisting.

Maybe I'm lucky but thus far, after 25 hours played on this map, I'm enjoying it without any problems, glitches etc.

The city is packed and the buildings are close together and when I roam around, it really gives me more of an "abandoned metropolis" feel than anything vanilla.

No problems with resources so far - iron, coal, shale are all there - as are my favorite PoIs and some I've never seen before (or seen once or twice after 1k hours).

Level 40 now, horde every 3 days, so far so good. And yes, I'm playing a19.3.

6 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Yes, need to use unique tag, though its stackable meaning if you put 5 pass n gass 04 entries each with the unique tag, you will get exactly 4 of them.

Where are these tags located? Been going over the individual POI XML files and I am missing it. Sadly google has not helped much.

The tags are in the Nitro mixer file. Mess around with the contents of the resources folder, the guts and brains of the whole thing live there. The Nitro mixer, called 'Prefabslist.xml' by default, is Nitros version of the RWGmixer used in vanilla.  You can create or modify lists in there. A good example place to start is Magoli's Compo Pack Nitro list.  Pull that list apart on a flat 4k map and learn it, everything you need is in that resources folder.

11 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

The tags are in the Nitro mixer file. Mess around with the contents of the resources folder, the guts and brains of the whole thing live there. The Nitro mixer, called 'Prefabslist.xml' by default, is Nitros version of the RWGmixer used in vanilla.  You can create or modify lists in there. A good example place to start is Magoli's Compo Pack Nitro list.  Pull that list apart on a flat 4k map and learn it, everything you need is in that resources folder.

I started doing that initially. I went into the prefablist folder renamed the gas stations by assigning an additional letter to the front of the name. Fixed it in the prefablist as well and that seemed to help somewhat. Of course being a masochist I decided my first wasteland only would be a 16k map. :) Thanks for the help. 

1 hour ago, Throvolos said:

Is Nitrogen still being worked on?  The last update I see is for A19.1, and the POIs being created (with default nitrogen) have a very limited selection.

Unfort no updates on nitro since a19 exp. 

Havent heard from Damocles either. 

However it still works mostly with an occasional hiccup. 

The cp works with it still vanilla pois do to. Altho you may have to add the new vanilla pois to the prefablist  

3 minutes ago, Throvolos said:

Sadface.  Is there an easy way to do that?

Download the compopack.

We have step by step guide to installing the cp with nitrogen on magolis compopack discord. The link can be found in the latest compo pack thread. If any issues we can also assist you thru the process.

Just now, stallionsden said:

Download the compopack.

We have step by step guide to installing the cp with nitrogen on magolis compopack discord. The link can be found in the latest compo pack thread. If any issues we can also assist you thru the process.

THANKS!

I'd like to input a world seed into nitrogen. But changing the map name does not change the world seed and it's still a randomly generated map instead of the world seed. I want to create a 16k map with the options in nitrogen that i want selected plus using my world seed at the same time. Is this possible at all? Looking forward to a response and thank you for the development of such a great tool! 😊

17 hours ago, jehodon said:

I'd like to input a world seed into nitrogen. But changing the map name does not change the world seed and it's still a randomly generated map instead of the world seed. I want to create a 16k map with the options in nitrogen that i want selected plus using my world seed at the same time. Is this possible at all? Looking forward to a response and thank you for the development of such a great tool! 😊

the seed would set the random gen.. having the options to alter the settings yourself would void the need for a seed. it would not just take the basic design of a seed you like and place less/more city/towns or change the biome layout of the terrain. the seed itself is all of that information. so short answer is "no, not possible" longer answer is " not possible because Nitrogen generates it's own seed"

i need help  if i use this current nitrogen on my alpha 19.3 will it have problem about poi? or do i still need to do something to get it working without error thank you. I'd like to know if the files containing the nitrogen already updated the prefab list

On 1/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, SylenThunder said:

Nitrogen has a setting for generating smoother maps, and it's much better than the in-game generator while still taking a lot less time generating the map. Plus it gives you the choice of several degrees of smoothness. And it works just fine for me, as long as you are using the correct prefab list. With compopack and nitrogen installed correctly I have generated numerous maps for a19.2 and a19.3 without any noticeable errors, not something I can say for the internal map generator in 7dtd. Even the default Navezgane map is FULL of map errors in a19.3.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, Throvolos said:

Is Nitrogen still being worked on?  The last update I see is for A19.1, and the POIs being created (with default nitrogen) have a very limited selection.

If you're using Nitrogen, you should also use Compopack. It gives you nearly 300 additional PoIs.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:25 AM, jehodon said:

Some advice: Go with a 12k map maximum unless you absolutely must have such a huge map as the 16k one is. The game engine really does not like huge maps and the more you explore the worse it gets, forcing you to restart frequently or it gets really buggy.

2 hours ago, GlassDeviant said:

Nitrogen has a setting for generating smoother maps, and it's much better than the in-game generator while still taking a lot less time generating the map. Plus it gives you the choice of several degrees of smoothness. And it works just fine for me, as long as you are using the correct prefab list. With compopack and nitrogen installed correctly I have generated numerous maps for a19.2 and a19.3 without any noticeable errors, not something I can say for the internal map generator in 7dtd. Even the default Navezgane map is FULL of map errors in a19.3.

If you're using Nitrogen, you should also use Compopack. It gives you nearly 300 additional PoIs.

Some advice: Go with a 12k map maximum unless you absolutely must have such a huge map as the 16k one is. The game engine really does not like huge maps and the more you explore the worse it gets, forcing you to restart frequently or it gets really buggy.

If using cp46 330. Cp 47 pushes it to just around 500 now

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

11 hours ago, GlassDeviant said:

I'd go a step further and say 10k size max for servers, with 12-16k reserved for SP and Lan type local parties of under 3-5 players. 10k is the largest size map you will get away with not having to reset bad chunks in region files on a regular basis.

If youve got a ton of players all over the place on different connection speeds and pc specs, 10k is the way to go

On 1/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, Cpt Krunch said:

I'd go a step further and say 10k size max for servers, with 12-16k reserved for SP and Lan type local parties of under 3-5 players. 10k is the largest size map you will get away with not having to reset bad chunks in region files on a regular basis.

If youve got a ton of players all over the place on different connection speeds and pc specs, 10k is the way to go

Actually even on SP 16k is just too much. I had no end of troubles with two 16k maps, especially once I got them over 1/3 explored. I haven't used a map over 8k in months, tbh.

Yeah, 8k was my max up until recently, and thats only because I get so many requests for large maps. Ive never had trouble with 16k maps SP, but everyone else Ive known that uses them have seemed to.  10k makes sense on a server with 20+ players, and there are tools to reload regions, so its doable, but the server admins need to have the resources and the ability to reset those regions.