Steam Family Sharing?

DJQuad

Steam family sharing only works if one person is playing at a time.  I tried that with my oldest son.  When he was playing a game in my library, I was not able to play any games in Steam at the same time, even if the game I was playing was different than the one he was playing.

6 hours ago, Ti2xGr said:

Considering I've seen it on sale for $7.49 roughly once every two months through either Steam or Humble Bundle, it's not worth the discussion. Not sure if this is legit but just saw it on this site for $7.22 - https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/7-days-to-die/ 

I'm asking if this is true or not true, not if you you think it's worth the discussion. 

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Steam family sharing only works if one person is playing at a time.  I tried that with my oldest son.  When he was playing a game in my library, I was not able to play any games in Steam at the same time, even if the game I was playing was different than the one he was playing.

I'm the only one playing it. I actually own both accounts.

lol...I'm going to trust the word of the Steam customer service rep who gave you the facts about the Steam Family Sharing feature of the Steam website. Why ask further from random community members who are only going to speculate when you got the official answer from the official source? Because you didn't like the answer? 

Steam CSPs are rubbish apparently...

Like I said, I was confused about that because after searching about it there was a lot of conflicting info. IE, it works for some, not others. I was hoping to get an "official response" here since my support ticket has gone unanswered for nearly a month. I wasn't aware that the devs don't read their own community forums, my bad.

Don't get me wrong, I don't at all mind buying another copy of 7DTD as it really is nearly a perfect game. If TFP has disallowed Family Sharing though, that's all sorts of wrong.

I was originally like, I can't believe TFP pulled that. Literally the only one out of ~500 games that couldn't be shared. Didn't make sense.

19 hours ago, DJQuad said:

since my support ticket has gone unanswered for nearly a month.

A support ticket on this doesn’t exist currently. I handle those tickets and am up to date. Something must have gone wrong—possibly when we switched forum platforms. 

I can ask but I’m pretty sure the answer you got from an official Steam rep is more reliable than random reports from people claiming it works for them. 

Possible workaround.

Disconnect both computers from the network.

Start the computers and open the game with steam in offline mode.

Attach both computers to the network again.

Connect the client game to the server game via IP address and port number.

Steam doesn't automatically try to check for internet access and the game's connection system _should_ be completely independant.

No idea if this will work but it's worth a try.

Or just login to your "master" steam account when you want to play your game on that system. The game saves don't transfer in the cloud though, so it would only work for server hosted games unless you mapped both systems game save folders via a network mapping. 

15 hours ago, DJQuad said:

I was hoping to get an "official response" here

Turns out it was good that you did. The official word is that 7 Days to Die does support the Family Sharing feature and that it is working properly. Alloc checked on it when I brought it to his attention. Sorry for my earlier dismissal.

15 hours ago, DJQuad said:

I was originally like, I can't believe TFP pulled that. Literally the only one out of ~500 games that couldn't be shared. Didn't make sense.

You were correct. TFP didn't pull that at all.

Now you just need to figure out why you can't get it to work.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, Roland said:

A support ticket on this doesn’t exist currently. I handle those tickets and am up to date. Something must have gone wrong—possibly when we switched forum platforms. 

I can ask but I’m pretty sure the answer you got from an official Steam rep is more reliable than random reports from people claiming it works for them. 

Come on Roland we both know most CSReps suck ass even at the best of times their mostly useless

On 2/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, Maharin said:

If I shared my family over Steam, people would want their money back with interest in no time.

assuming their as crazy as me and you i think we would get along just fine :)

Archived