I see a lot of talking about food .

MonkCrimson

So i've come across many threats and discussions all over the internet about how hard is to keep looking for food in 7 days .

So far i haven't came across this problem at all and i will just share my way of having always food , and i'm playing on nightmare .

1) The snow biome . It has so many animals i literally go there for a few in-game hours and i come back with stacks of meat.

Even better when i got my first turret i would just lure them to my turret with a safe spot for me to stand and a bunch of wood spikes around , it's a walk in the park.

2) I always look down for nests at where ever i go instead of just looking straight up like a fool.

I keep the eggs i found till i go to my base to boil them and they are the same as grilled steaks.

3) At some point it is easy to make your own canned sham , it fills you up alot and it gives you a fair amount of health points .

4) I always turn my boiled water to red tea , it is super easy and not only it is more hydrating but it is also giving you that efficient digestion buff to replenish your stamina,

with less food consumption.

5) I try to not always run like crazy all the time even in my base going from the workbench to a chest which is like 2 meters , and i don't jump for no reason.

All these require stamina and stamina loss equals need for more food.

6) Meat and eggs are the most common food , make your self bacon and eggs .

7) I always use light armor , and i put heavy on only when it is time to protect my base from the horde at blood moons.

8 ) Farm your own food at your base , why ppl avoid these things so much.

Anyways i hope some will find this usefull . Cheers

OH ALSO DROP ANY OTHER IDEAS THAT YOU MAY HAVE  ~

29 minutes ago, Canute said:

Doing Buried supplies 1 quest from the trader give you some food from the looted chest too + cash to buy more food from the vending mashine/trader.

Burried supplies 1 also has a good chance to drop food receipes, what makes it far easier to cook better meals earlier.

Not completely sure about that, but iirc they can also drop seeds, what makes it probably easier to start your own farm.

I also did some testing on burried supplies, because some people even argued, it consumes more food to do a BS1 then you get as rewared. And i proofed that wrong. Even after the newbie-buff expired (and i recommend to use the newbie-buff heavily for BS, as it makes it even quicker). I also posted the results here in another endless "food thread".

38 minutes ago, MonkCrimson said:

So i've come across many threats and discussions all over the internet about how hard is to keep looking for food in 7 days .

So one more thread about it. 🤣

OH ALSO DROP ANY OTHER IDEAS THAT YOU MAY HAVE  ~

Many people complain, that they have to "waste" one or more skillpoint on master chef and living off the land.

But how heavily they complain, i can just ask: If you complain that hard, do you really consider them "wasted"?

3 hours ago, MonkCrimson said:

2) I always look down for nests at where ever i go instead of just looking straight up like a fool.

I keep the eggs i found till i go to my base to boil them and they are the same as grilled steaks.

I never boil eggs.  It's the least efficient way to use eggs, other than eating them raw.  And even that's debatable, if you factor in the time and jar of water.

I think the first level of Master Chef is well worth it.  Beyond that, if you don't want to spend skill points, I just keep looting until I find a higher quality recipe, and then I tailor my habits towards that.  For example, in my case, I found the recipe for gumbo stew first.  So after that, I would save any beef rations and cans of peas I found while looting, while any other canned food I'd just eat on the spot.  There's plenty of variety in food recipes now, so there's not one be-all-end-all recipe at the end of a progression chain.

You can have your one little specialty that you know how to make, and not worry about the other page of recipes you can't make.  I actually find it refreshingly authentic in a role playing sense, since in real life I can cook a few things well and many other things not at all.

3 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Many people complain, that they have to "waste" one or more skillpoint on master chef and living off the land.

But how heavily they complain, i can just ask: If you complain that hard, do you really consider them "wasted"?

This is a very valid point.  If the points you spend are useful for your survival in the current game you are playing then they are not wasted.  Each game should feel like a new challenge and not just another attempt at filling out your desired template of skill point usage.

10 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Each game should feel like a new challenge and not just another attempt at filling out your desired template of skill point usage.

Imho 1 point in both master chef and lotl are almost mandatory. The only thing that can happen to not need them is being extremly lucky by finding a cooking receipe, that you can use early on. I once found a bacon & eggs receipe in my first burried supplies quest. That was the only playthrough i did not but 1 point in master chef early on.

Using more than 1 point for them, may be worth it but is costly, as you need to uplevel the base skill classes, too. (and that skill system imho is absolutely broken).

I end up taking 3 in chef when going solo.  I have to put the pts into str for mining and heavy armor, so..

LOTL, that has to wait a bit, but 1 pt early to double the yields, second pt only when I have enough stuff to start the farm.

3rd point is whenever, as triple comes in handy. (and you can end up with waaay too much stuff)

don't think I've ever put the final point into chef. I don't use those recipes anyway, cook time meh, make more campfires.

:D

There are some game starts that I don't loot much food except for buried supplies.  There are times where buried supplies are not given by the trader.  Where some of the problems with food early one may stem from is ignoring the traders entirely and not wanting to spend points in food management (living off the land / master chef).

Some find these activities just not part of their preferred playstyle.  This is fine if you are playing multiplayer if someone else in the group is handling farming / cooking.  In solo games, you have to take on the responsibility of wearing many hats.  Which may make some feel the early game progression tedious or unenjoyable to some play styles.  Previous alphas where geared for play balance if you pick an attribute and its skills to play in.  

I always have trouble with hunger with my character no matter what I'm doing.   Even with buried supplies and such early on.  When the farm is fully up and I have a bunch of food crafted then not as bad.  But it does seem like my character has a faster food drain than some other players even doing same activities and items.  I deal with it.  But I do agree with some that the drain seems a bit fast at the start.  Hunger is fine.  But once the food bar gets to that point, it should tick a little slower since you wouldn't die of starvation within a day of being hungry.  Maybe have a status before starvation that start to make you dizzy (intensified beer effect) or periodically stumble so you can attempt to keep going until you can eat some food to get you out of that status.  If you can't find food within two days in game then die of starvation.  In this way, the game can be adjusted for some playstyles and give them a little more time to find food needed to survive and thrive.

well i reckon the OP is working for his food and is getting the benefit of the effort put in

i never have too much problem with food, but have learnt the pros and cons of where to put points etc

those who expect to not have a hard time with food without effort or spending skill points dont know the game well enough and or how to plan

a lot like real life i suppose

personally i have got to the point where i get sick of the hunger moaning noises so put a point into living off the land which is a cheap cheap doubling of harvest and a few in master chef to up the cooked food value, especially as it is a str attribute which also enables more mining skills which i need for lots of gunpowder for lots of ammo because my aim is @%$#

-The best, early food you can get is Boiled Meat. Bottled Water, either Murky or Boiled, is so easy to find and Meat is easier to find than eggs and available in larger quantities. You're gonna tell me that Bacon & Eggs is better, which is true in terms of Fullness recovery. But imho, Boiled Meat is better overall, not only because of the abundance of ingredients but also because it gives Water and HP points along the way.

- A great way to keep your Fullness high as long as possible is to drink Red Tea. Again, this is a real joke to make. Harvest Chrysanthemum and boil or find Water. Glass Jars are all over the map like the plague, you can get so many, you'll dream about them all night long. Better yet, put a single point in Living of the Land and double the amount of plants to have a long-lasting supply of Red Tea until you go nuts.

I always do this during my early stages and i dont bother about Fullness ever.

I'm playing in the snow biome in my current game and food isn't an issue.

Plenty of animals!

Either I hunt them and I got plenty of meat.

Or they hunt me and I'm suddenly not hungry anymore.

😁

And if everything fail, I just modify the xmls and make grilled meat cost one meat. And I will survive the bad times eating grilled meat. 🙃

2 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

-The best, early food you can get is Boiled Meat. Bottled Water, either Murky or Boiled, is so easy to find and Meat is easier to find than eggs and available in larger quantities. You're gonna tell me that Bacon & Eggs is better, which is true in terms of Fullness recovery. But imho, Boiled Meat is better overall, not only because of the abundance of ingredients but also because it gives Water and HP points along the way.

The only time I go with boiled meat is if I don't have the recipe for Bacon & Eggs.  When I am traveling all over the place, I always raid the bird nests as I come across them.  That always gives me plenty of eggs once I get my hands on a few chickens or rabbits.  While Boiled Meat does improve your hunger and thirst, I always prefer Bacon & Eggs with the various teas as they seem to benefit me more (and I don't mind giving up one additional inventory space carrying around both a drink stack and food stack).

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The only time I go with boiled meat is if I don't have the recipe for Bacon & Eggs.  When I am traveling all over the place, I always raid the bird nests as I come across them.  That always gives me plenty of eggs once I get my hands on a few chickens or rabbits.  While Boiled Meat does improve your hunger and thirst, I always prefer Bacon & Eggs with the various teas as they seem to benefit me more (and I don't mind giving up one additional inventory space carrying around both a drink stack and food stack).

You're right about a game with regular settings. But if like me, you reduce the % of loot, eggs become very rare. Like now, im currently playing at 67% and i can tell you that i dont have much hope in finding a decent amount of eggs. But meat is always available in the same quatities when you hunt animals. Glass Jars also dont seem to be affected that much by low % loot and even at 50%, you still find a truckload of them. So all in all, Boiled Meat is still winning in my opinion. Even in the amount of ingredients needed (5 meat pieces + 1 Water vs. 5 meat pieces + 2 Eggs).

Im also wondering why you mention teas at plural, for prolongating Fullness? Because its only the Red one who does this effect. Goldenrod Tea is to cure dysentery. Pure Mineral Water also prolongs Fullness further than Red Tea.

13 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

You're right about a game with regular settings. But if like me, you reduce the % of loot, eggs become very rare. Like now, im currently playing at 67% and i can tell you that i dont have much hope in finding a decent amount of eggs. But meat is always available in the same quatities when you hunt animals. Glass Jars also dont seem to be affected that much by low % loot and even at 50%, you still find a truckload of them. So all in all, Boiled Meat is still winning in my opinion. Even in the amount of ingredients needed (5 meat pieces + 1 Water vs. 5 meat pieces + 2 Eggs).

Im also wondering why you mention teas at plural, for prolongating Fullness? Because its only the Red one who does this effect. Goldenrod Tea is to cure dysentery. Pure Mineral Water also prolongs Fullness further than Red Tea.

I forgot loot abundance affects bird nests.  At one point I was looking into modifying the file so that bird nests stayed at 100% while everything went down to 50%, but I can’t remember if I figured  it out as that was a few alphas back.

Yes, teas as in plurarl.  Even goldenrod has benefits over boiled meat and is just not for curing dysentery. Bacon & eggs with goldenrod tea gives you 36 food, 10 max stamina, 24 water, and 15% stamina regeneration for a cost of 2 eggs, 5 meat, 1 jar of water, and 1 goldenrod plant; while boiled water only gives you 10 to food, max stamina, and water for 5 meat and 1 jar of water.  Even if I didn’t have eggs I would go grilled meat with tea as I would get the 15% stamina boost with only the addition of a plant I can easily harvest while walking about.

How we approach food also depends on how we play.  I always put one rank in master chef and living off the land no matter what else I am going to do when I play single player.  So I always have the basic recipes available, and harvesting twice as much.  I put one point in the tracking skill so I am always able to find small game.  When I am traveling to my next loot/mission location, I always stop and lot any bird nest I see; and when I go back home or to the trader I go a different route to find more nests.  I also destroy each nest after looting.

I never eat the can of chili we first start out (unless I am seriously hurting on food) as I see a chili dog is more value down the road than a quick pick me up fromeating just chili.  The only can food I eat are the pears, thr chicken rations, miso soup, chicken soup, and the cat food.  The rest I save for T2 and T3 food recipes.

I don’t constantly go out looting or doing trader missions.  I spend some time hunting small game or getting the resources I need to get my farm up and running.  This is probably why the loot progression in A19 doesn’t bother me as much as it does others.  In thr first 7 - 10 days, my focus is getting a defendable shelter, a steady source of food, an idea on how I am going to fight off the horde, and a better mode of transportation than my feet.  I hit homes and food pois mostly in the eraly days.  By the time I am done with my basics, my gamestage is higher and I am finding better loot.

In contrast I always eat the cans I find in the early days.  Because there is an almost endless supply from kitchens and the vending machines and it will take a few days until I have other ingredients and hopefully a farm supply available to really make the better recipes.

In all my previous SP games I had either a corn seed or a potatoe seed missing until much later and it never was the cans that seemed the bottle neck.

10 minutes ago, meganoth said:

In contrast I always eat the cans I find in the early days.  Because there is an almost endless supply from kitchens and the vending machines and it will take a few days until I have other ingredients and hopefully a farm supply available to really make the better recipes.

In all my previous SP games I had either a corn seed or a potatoe seed missing until much later and it never was the cans that seemed the bottle neck.

And a lot of what we do depends on luck.  My current playthrough I am at Day 15 and I found/bought the recipes for corn seeds, potato seeds, chili dogs, fish tacos, and steak&potatoes.  Throw in the 3 mushroom spores I found and I am doing fine with food without resorting to cans.  This will probably change on my next playthrough as I looking to go to 50 % loot along with the second highest difficulty setting.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

And a lot of what we do depends on luck.  My current playthrough I am at Day 15 and I found/bought the recipes for corn seeds, potato seeds, chili dogs, fish tacos, and steak&potatoes.  Throw in the 3 mushroom spores I found and I am doing fine with food without resorting to cans.  This will probably change on my next playthrough as I looking to go to 50 % loot along with the second highest difficulty setting.

I'm going to order a pizza  . . . . . 

In my opinion it takes WAY too long to die of starvation in this game (same with drowning but I'll save that for another thread).  The hungrier you get, the lower your max stamina.  Annoying but not exactly deadly unless it is horde night.  But then you take forever to die of starvation.  Your natural regen cuts out but the moment you get a morsel of food in you it returns.  A medicated bandage (or any other healing) can allow you to starve to death for another day or so at least.

At the moment there is very little reason to worry about that blinking red icon reminding you of your nutritional deficit.

18 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I would consider day 15 to be already in mid game or at least starting to get into it. Sure, by that day the chances are reasonably good that you have both a corn and a potato seed, and a farm with at least a dozen plots (very rough estimate). And the food problem mostly solved. At this point I don't need to waste cans anymore. I'm really talking about the first week when you don't have a bicycle or mini-bike and often have to walk to save stamina, don't want to do quests more than 500 meters away. When food is really scarce. At that time I don't save anything for later weeks.

I need the food now, a can with 15 food now is more worth to me than the resulting 60 food dish in 3 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Maharin said:

At the moment there is very little reason to worry about that blinking red icon reminding you of your nutritional deficit.

Not sure I agree. When I clear POIs with melee, accidents happen, claws hit my soft flesh below much too soft armor sometimes and it hurts.

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Not sure I agree. When I clear POIs with melee, accidents happen, claws hit my soft flesh below much too soft armor sometimes and it hurts.

No different than learning what not to do when your leg or arm are sprained or broken.  Broken/sprained arm, don't use power attacks.  Broken/sprained leg, don't sprint or jump.  Starving to death, don't do dangerous things or be extra cautious while doing them.

My point was that from the time you start seeing that blinking red icon to the time you actually die of starvation is a LONG time.  Much longer than it should be.  Personally, I think the food bar should represent the full timeline from satiated to emaciated to dead and just change colors (or shades) as you reach different stages.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

No different than learning what not to do when your leg or arm are sprained or broken.  Broken/sprained arm, don't use power attacks.  Broken/sprained leg, don't sprint or jump.  Starving to death, don't do dangerous things or be extra cautious while doing them.

My point was that from the time you start seeing that blinking red icon to the time you actually die of starvation is a LONG time.  Much longer than it should be.  Personally, I think the food bar should represent the full timeline from satiated to emaciated to dead and just change colors (or shades) as you reach different stages.

Being hungry does more than just die of starvation.  Your max stamina decreases which is very important if you are focusing on melee and not relying on guns.

Same thing about the other items you mentioned.  Not doing power attacks when your arm is broken sounds great in theory, but when your primary  melee weapon is a knife, the power attack is your lead attack to get max damage and stacking bleed effects on your target.  Having a broken leg is fine when you are strolling  across an open field in the middle of the day but doesn’t help if you are getting swarmed by ferals or a pack of zombie dogs.

The way you play these things might not be important or critical, but for others it is something we avoid as much as possible

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

You make my point as that extra caution when you have a leg or arm sprained or broken severly cuts down on your efficiency. Time is money and you lose a lot of time with a broken limb 😉.

14 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Yes, teas as in plurarl.  Even goldenrod has benefits over boiled meat and is just not for curing dysentery. Bacon & eggs with goldenrod tea gives you 36 food, 10 max stamina, 24 water, and 15% stamina regeneration for a cost of 2 eggs, 5 meat, 1 jar of water, and 1 goldenrod plant; while boiled water only gives you 10 to food, max stamina, and water for 5 meat and 1 jar of water.  Even if I didn’t have eggs I would go grilled meat with tea as I would get the 15% stamina boost with only the addition of a plant I can easily harvest while walking about.

Sorry but i dont get why you think Golden Rod Tea has an effect on fullness drain. The discussion revolves around the issue of food cooking/looting, exhaustion, fullness/satiety.

Golden Rod Tea has no effect of fullness/food drain. Beside providing hydration and stamina regeneration (Water +24/Stamina +15%), just like most beverages, its sole medicinal purpose is to cure Dysentery. Red Tea also provides the same buffs for Water intake and stamina regen but also decreases food drain with the +15% Efficient Digestion buff. So, its obvious that Red Tea is the beverage to use for that matter, beside Pure Mineral Water, like i said earlier, but this drink is not that easily and rapidly available as Red Tea during early gamestages, most of the time.

Grilled Meat is less beneficial than Boiled Meat since the later also gives Water intake. The only advantage Grilled Meat has over is that it only requires one ingredient. Lastly, sure, Bacon & Eggs provide more Fullness and HP than Boiled Meat, its undeniable. But i mention that Boiled Meat is the best shot someone can get, in my opinion, in the context of early game, since the ingredients are easier to find and quantities are not affected by Loot %, like eggs are, and also because Boiled Meat gives back HP. Later on, i sure use Bacon & Eggs more than often in the eventuality i find lots of eggs.

Archived