Brand new MacBook Pro, fan runs like a jet engine

goatsauce

Sorry if this has been covered, can't find anything covering it.

Playing via Steam on a 2019 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32G RAM with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB GPU.  Frame rate and performance is good at medium settings, but no matter what I do (even the lowest settings) it's just really running hard and hogging a lot of resources.

Anyone know if it's normal for this thing to just be roaring fans all the time?  Thanks!

Hi there, MBP 2018 user here, As the game is very CPU intensive it ramps your physical cores to 90-100% usage, thus also doing some load over your GPU, ramping temps up drastically, as a result you get fans blowing hard all the time. You can monitor temperatures, but I can predict the result))). So not much you can do about it.

Yep, basically status quo for running anything demanding on a laptop.  This is why most people who know tech strongly advise against using any laptop for gaming. Even my Acer Predator 17 G9-793 with the extra dvd-tray fan heats up to 85C and kicks all the fans into overdrive. 

13 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Dunno how to do it on a mac, but capping the frame rate will reduce fan speed and noise.

(as long as the capped rate is lower than your normal rate.)

probably messing with unity can cap your fps, but it will not help you much as major load is CPU, though you'll still bake it around 90C... Macs suck in terms of cooling performance, really suck... Launching quite anything ramps temps and coolers up, so buy yourself a headset to limit incoming vents sound)))

Another way would be to crack your Mac open and make a custom cooling solution for both CPU and GPU, voiding your warranty of-course.

Archived