Alpha 19.3 - no way to enjoy this game

~Kevin~

Gave Alpha 19,3 an honest chance, and it sucks.  I am at day 28 no gun besides the blunderbus, starving, hitting every airdrop and nothing but armor, more blunderbus, and food here and there.  I find it almost impossible to progress in the game without spending my entire days looking for food, and nights mining.  Taking chances I would not normally take looking for food, which usually gets me killed.

There needs to be more balance between food and enjoying the game.  When I spend all day looking for food, everyday, this is no fun.

I pay money to be entertained.  19.3 is not entertainment, it is nothing but a grind looking for food.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry if this is all obvious and basic: but for the first few days, try buried supplies quests, they give food, then use the money to buy food from the vending machines.  Then once you hit tier 3 quests, do some clear or fetch quests.  When you get to the end of many quests, there will be  better loot boxes that will give guns, ammo and food..  I struggle to get a gun before the day 7 horde, but always get 1 or 3 before the day 14 horde.  Also wolves are around at night, if you can kill a few of them with the blunderbuss, then you have a bit of meat to cook.

Youre either extremely unlucky, or you are doing something wrong/not taking advantage of the game-elements properly.  If i struggle with food but dont dare to loot, i put a point in living of the land, and i punch all the snowberries i can find. Since they removed to chance to get sick from them there is not really a reason not eating them!  And having no real gun at day 28, then you should have either enough dukes(or things to sell) to buy one from a trader, or you should have some gun parts to be able to craft your own gun?  If you dont have acess to a workbench, put points to get it! If youre out of points... Well then i dont know how you play, if you dont have points in any skill that could give you more food or dukes or loot or guns o.o are you going a full agility-build? 

Or maybe you have done what ive done a few times: Going full miner, and living in a hole for the last weeks, that could explain why you dont have food or guns! But in that case, you should have collected enough stone and minerals to sell to get you enough dukes for a gun, and probably some food!  Or are you playing with no traders? Hmm... Then i think i have ran out of tips to solve your problem 😕

Food is damn easy. Just get to the next house, loot the kitchen and get you a cooking pot. Now you only need to search for some nests on the ground. You will get a lot of eggs in no time. Now you just cook them and got enough food. Or on the way looking for nests you will probably find chicken or rabbits. Kill them with a bow and get that meat. Now cook some bacon egg and you won't have food problems for a couple of days.

The game is great balanced in early food. later on you will have too much..so now you just did it wrong^^

And about not finding a gun. Thats just bad luck cause thats nearly impossible to not get looted after a couple of days. I am on Day 5 and already got a Pistol.

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Nothing is entertainment if you're doing it essentially wrong.

This person gets it, unless you suck horribly and are doing something extremly wrong there is no way you should be having this much problems. When I play I usually have food sorted on day 1, and never have a problem again (buried supplies quests, and looting a house or 2 usually can give enough to last a day+). Can't find a gun in loot? They have traders for a damn reason, USE THEM, the vending machines also sell canned food cheap. Though going to day 28 without at least a pistol is some horribly bad rng you had there. That said, I still dislike a19's linear loot stuff, it has taken a large amount of the fun out of the game for me, I liked it when I could get lucky and find a pump shotgun on day 1, even if it was a crappy tier 1 pump shotgun. A20 also sounds horribly stupid with how they are dumbing down the gear system from 10-14 slots to... 4. Its like you could have added the outfits and kept the current system as well, but instead you decide on the stupid move of removing it, just like learn by doing, all LBD needed was some tweaks, check darkness falls mod if you care to, to see the sort of tweaks that could have been made to keep the system. I'll still give A20 a chance, but I don't got high hopes for it, as it seems to be multiple steps backwards instead of forwards from what I've heard about it so far.

Mining is a very food-consuming activity. Usually people start with looting and then turn to more and more mining, that is a bit easier.

You need to build a farm. Building farm plots needs two things you won't get out of the earth, rotten meat and seeds. Rotten meat can be gotten from dogs, vultures but also carcasses on the road. Look for the carcasses and get them. If you see a butcher POI, loot that as a well, lots of carcasses. Seeds you can get from digging quests or by finding 5 plants of the same type to make a seed (buy plants from the trader if available or find in loot or find fields).

You should take one point in the perk "Living of the land" early on, maybe two to get all the seed recipes the easy way. Once you have a farm going try to create the better food recipes. More ingredients often means a substantially better food value.

While mining, always drink red tea, it gives you a buff that saves food. Do not mine or run when your inventory is overloaded and running in heavy armor is also not a good idea if you want to save food.

First week for me is always just getting my basic base up and survival needs met.  Prioritizing dig quests from the trader, looting houses for food (or small Food POIs), hunting rabbits and chickens for meat, planting crops if I can find seeds.  If I am building a base, I typically don't start mining until I got iron tools and I don't see them early on.

Any time I am traveling, I am always looking at the ground.  Any nests, I raid for eggs (and feathers if I am using bows).  Get Master Chef early on to make bacon and eggs, buy food stuff out of vending machines (only from traders if you are in dire need of food but as long as I am always on the lookout for food, I don't have to).  Use non-recipe can foods first and try to save anything that is used for higher tier foods if you can.

I rarely have “food issues” but it does crop up from time to time (usually just the first week of the game). I believe it’s because I usually loot primarily, and mine only when I have guns, because I need to make bulllets.  By looting a lot, you can sell a lot to the trader and just buy food should you have to. Part of the looting strategy I use is to essentially “leave nothing behind” and scrap almost every item that I don’t need (e.g I scrap all the clothes I don’t need, every metal can for iron, every trophy,) as I’m looting, unless it’s worth a lot of money or hard to find/electrical) so I can carry more basics back to the base. Sure, not as efficient but I end up with a lot of spare iron without needing to mine.

but yeah: I do t mine early in the game as it is very resource intensive. I guess it would also “eat up” your food resources too.

You should be able to have a farm in full swing by day 10 or so, depending on how lucky you get with finding farms and/or seeds.  Farm plots = infinite food.  But before then you need to loot house kitchens, do buried supply quests, buy food from vending machines, or raid farms and other food friendly POIs.  Cabinets, coolers, and fridges have a good possibility of having food.  Food is an early game survival issue, as it would be in any real survival situation.  Learn what not to do and try something different if what you are doing isn't working.

Good luck.

I had the same problem too. What I did to counter it is put one point in animal tracker when you finish the first quest objectives and are looking for the trader. Chickens are easy, rabbits are harder that makes them more fun.

I didn't do that in the latest game I'm playing because just by accident I found Gracie's house in my starting town.

13 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Gave Alpha 19,3 an honest chance, and it sucks.  I am at day 28 no gun besides the blunderbus, starving,

I have started at least a dozen games since i started playing this past summer and I almost always get a weapon other than Blunderbuss by day 7. Certainly by day 10 in all cases. (most games by day 5 or 6)

There has to be something you're doing wrong. Like others have said, not looting enough, not putting any point (s) into lucky looter?

As for starving, I have had games where hunger is an issue for as long as the first 20 days. But in all situations I have managed with canned food until i got my farm up and running. 

Also, I spend a great deal of time checking every nest that I run across for eggs. I basically live off of bacon and eggs until i get hunger under control. 

Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Gave Alpha 19,3 an honest chance, and it sucks.  I am at day 28 no gun besides the blunderbus, starving, hitting every airdrop and nothing but armor, more blunderbus, and food here and there.  I find it almost impossible to progress in the game without spending my entire days looking for food, and nights mining.  Taking chances I would not normally take looking for food, which usually gets me killed.

There needs to be more balance between food and enjoying the game.  When I spend all day looking for food, everyday, this is no fun.

I pay money to be entertained.  19.3 is not entertainment, it is nothing but a grind looking for food.

Here are some tips if you're interested in changing what you are doing:

• Keep 3 blunderbusses on your belt.
  • Kill every chicken and rabbit you see. Don't ignore them. The meat will add up.
  • Venture out first thing in the morning to hunt as larger animals like deer are more likely to spawn at night and live into the morning.
  • Sell all armor except for padded armor. Make your own padded armor to fill in the gaps. Until you level up and take some perks and gain some armor mods to help, wearing "better" armor is just going to slow you down, suck away your stamina, and burn food faster. Padded armor is great for the early game.
  • Sell everything you can that has a sell value to build up your funds. The trader sells weapons that are better than the blunderbuss. Change your thinking from looting so you can find a weapon to looting so you can sell stuff and buy a weapon.
  • Take iron gut if you find your hunger draining BUT... I think if you are strict with only wearing padded armor you will find you have a lot more energy and your food drain will slow to manageable levels. It is a mistake to just equip any armor you find until you have progressed enough to be able to handle it.
  • As Meganoth stated, wait until you are stronger before you start mining all night. Feed your forge with metal items you find or scrap. Once you are stronger and have a farm going for reliable food and have a surplus to feed yourself, then you can go full tilt on mining and you'll do a lot better.

Finally, you can increase your xp gain and block damage in the top menu options and you will level up faster and mine easier. Once you get going and feel the time is right you can return those values to default and continue playing. If you think those options would make the early game more fun then do it!

14 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Based on this, you likely have died a lot keeping your game stage very low. You must be new to the game.

The first day or two, 80% of your focus is getting food and water sorted out. You got to learn how to cook pretty early.  Edible canned food is pretty abundant in vanilla, but cooking and farming puts the food problem behind you. 

Watch a few youtube videos. You'll get it - you'll kick yourself once it starts clicking for you. 

do the buried quests. you get recipies as well as food.

ANY canned food that doesn't have a recipe option, go ahead and eat as required.

Cans NOT to eat unless starving:

chili, beef rations. PEAS (no no no, don't eat. no!) sham. lamb. salmon. pasta.

chili/salmon make chilidogs/fish tacos.  need meat for the dogs too.

cornbread/cornmeal also needed, boiled water (stupid easy to get lots of)

Those are from lvl 2 of master chef, and you just might get the recipies from dig quests.

PEAS get used in so many recipies, you'll always be running short.  Buy every can you can find. (they're cheap)

Buy cornmeal everytime you see it at the trader. Again, stupid cheap prices.

The beef/lamb/pasta/sham are for the really good things.  Okay, sham for the chowder, which give a stam boost. (aka horde night food)

Right now, the traders tend to have guns early, so see if they do and do quests, sell things etc, to try and get one.

A Q4 AK47 is under 5k dukes and is doable to purchase. (bullets now...)

I ALWAYS try to have a couple guns for day 7.   pistol/shotty/ak types.

I also always get them.

padded armor for a while to save on stam (and you find tons of it, so use it).

oh, look for a cigar. if you see it, buy it, grab it whatever, wear it.  +1 str  (helps get mining/chef etc up, and if trying for lvl 7 str, it's worth 2 pts at that lvl)

lucky goggles: wear those when looting chests.  can be hard to find.

red tea, easy to make, yes drink first, boiled water after for top up. purified if you can get it is best of course.

Solo is always tougher as you have to do it all yourself. co-op, you can share the load.  (the cook should also go into mining, since they are putting the pts into str, etc)

Oh, you can also up the loot to 200% for a bit to increase the early stockpiles. 

enuf fer now. need moar coffee.  😛

On 1/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, ~Kevin~ said:

You are very, very new to this game and you will die alot.
If you are on day 30 and starving, put points into STR and learn to cook some food. LOL.
This is by far the most comical "IDK HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME SO IT SUCKS!" ive ever seen. x'D

Try some youtube videos my guy!

Endurance has farming.
You can buy food from vending machines, traders and you can cook bacon and eggs with 1 pt into cooking which most people live on till day 30, 40.

Also, cubboards and kitchens have alot of food in them, always.
Just git gud. Honest word.

END also has perks to reduce how much food you need to eat and your food loss rate. I highly reccomend it.

I'll be honest, even though I absolutely love this game. When I first tried it in Alpha 17, I really didn't enjoy it. I found the new player experience very confusing. I went back in at Alpha 18, and played with a friend, and it was better, but I just let them do all the complicated stuff, and I focused on bashing in the zombies heads and looting stuff (Which I still found tedious and a waste of time mostly). I grew pretty bored quickly, although I did play a bit. But it wasn't until I finally made a game with cheat mode enabled, zombies disabled, and just spent some time checking out what was in the game. I tried the rocket launcher, and dynamite, checked how these things were built, etc. By the time I started another playthrough and got into building, I realized how much I was enjoying the game. Now it's my favorite. 

TLDR: The game is hard to get into, because it's quite complicated due to the sheer number of systems you have to figure out. But it has a lot of potential. I suggest lowering difficulty, and even removing zombie spawns to learn a bit about what items are available with cheat mode and crafting.

1 hour ago, Loboling said:

I'll be honest, even though I absolutely love this game. When I first tried it in Alpha 17, I really didn't enjoy it. I found the new player experience very confusing. I went back in at Alpha 18, and played with a friend, and it was better, but I just let them do all the complicated stuff, and I focused on bashing in the zombies heads and looting stuff (Which I still found tedious and a waste of time mostly). I grew pretty bored quickly, although I did play a bit. But it wasn't until I finally made a game with cheat mode enabled, zombies disabled, and just spent some time checking out what was in the game. I tried the rocket launcher, and dynamite, checked how these things were built, etc. By the time I started another playthrough and got into building, I realized how much I was enjoying the game. Now it's my favorite. 

TLDR: The game is hard to get into, because it's quite complicated due to the sheer number of systems you have to figure out. But it has a lot of potential. I suggest lowering difficulty, and even removing zombie spawns to learn a bit about what items are available with cheat mode and crafting.

17 was atrocious, imo. 18 was a step up but 16.4 is still the best version that I played unmodded. I can see the direction they are going but I hope they get the current loot lock sorted. 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, ~Kevin~ said:

READ THIS IF YOU STILL TRYING: 

Link to y post https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/23356-i-see-a-lot-of-talking-about-food/

I looked at the OPs history, and the OP does seem to have experience with the game, but isnt enjoying things passed a16.4.  I think that person has found the version they like so I guess we can just say enjoy that version.  Maybe try it again in a20.

7 hours ago, Andros said:

I looked at the OPs history, and the OP does seem to have experience with the game, but isnt enjoying things passed a16.4.  I think that person has found the version they like so I guess we can just say enjoy that version.  Maybe try it again in a20.

This is also his 3rd hit and run thread about A19.

Personally, I enjoy A19 quite a bit. The biggest problem I've run into is finding a crucible (which I ended up finding around day 40). Only thing that is really missing for me is actual people to play with. 😅

Food can be scarce at the start, but as other said just loot kitchens and do buried supplies for food and recipes (or put a point in master chef if you are desperate). If you find Bob's boar and have the grilled steak recipe, you are set for days.

1 hour ago, Treb said:

Personally, I enjoy A19 quite a bit. The biggest problem I've run into is finding a crucible (which I ended up finding around day 40). Only thing that is really missing for me is actual people to play with. 😅

Food can be scarce at the start, but as other said just loot kitchens and do buried supplies for food and recipes (or put a point in master chef if you are desperate). If you find Bob's boar and have the grilled steak recipe, you are set for days.

Yeah, I play with on a private server with anywhere from 1 to 6 buds, depending on who is online at the time.

Steam and potatoes are my goto, eggs just seem to scarce anymore ofc, we've got the loot turned down to 75%, I think?  Lower then default, at least, but once I hit my stride with the garden, the eggs, are only for the pumpkin recipes.

Just stay out of the high value places until you've got a real firearm or at least 3 blunders, yeah I'm stealth, I hate them, but they do serve a useful purpose.  I almost always put points into spears first, just for the reach and range.

Archived