nullreferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

sloowhand

I had just come back from a day of looting, I resorted stuff in my writable storage boxes, and was putting together new gear with new mods (armor, weapons, and tools). Then the game froze, my screen went black, and my computer restarted itself. I tried restarting a few times but keep getting the error in the title of this post. I have also verified the integrity of my files in Steam.

My most recent log is here: https://pastebin.com/YpSrRufJ

My computer's specs are as follows...
OS Version: WIN 10 build 19042.746
Processor & Speed: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 4.20 GHz
System Memory {not HDD size/space}: 32GB DDR-4 3800Hz
Shared with Video Card or discrete memory for each {shared/discrete}: discrete
Free Hard Drive Space: 588 GB free of 931 GB
Graphics Card: AMD 6800 XT
Graphics RAM: 16 GB
Video Resolution: 1440p
Video Refresh Rate: 144Hz
Fullscreen {yes/no}: yes
Steam Overlay enabled {yes/no}: no

Very well could be your ram speed. Sometimes you get unlucky and your cpu/etc can't handle higher speeds, try lowering the clock, you really will barely notice a difference between 3600 and 3800 in most cases.

You'll likely have to start a new world without the mods to get it to work properly, or delete anything modded in and if a UI delete the UI from the saved game folder then try again.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:12 PM, sloowhand said:

I just tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. Same errors.

Removing the mods won't work, because you already have items from them in your world. So especially if you remove mods, this will FORCE nullReferenze errors.

But i guess you have a different problem. The nullReference errors will NEVER cause a system reboot. So i guess problems with your ram speed might be possible. And memory errors may also have already corrupted your save files.

And no, "other games run too" is not a excuse. Overclocked ram may run fine with one or another application but still fail under heavy load. Try to run prime95 with the "memory usage" option. If this runs stable, your clockings should be fine. If it does not work, at least a blue screen or most likely a reboot will occur.

And modules labled with 3800Mhz ist not a guarantee that it will run safe with full speed with every mainboard/cpu-combo.

I really don't think this is a hardware issue. My computer otherwise runs perfectly and I've never had any other issues with it restarting. I've also played 7D2D for several hours since this crash, both by joining a friend's game and by creating a new world and playing that. I think somehow that save file just got corrupted.

I'm really just hoping to find a way to recover that save. I'm not familiar enough with how to read the error logs to see what I can add/delete/change to get it to load. For the record, I've tried removing the mods (there are only two) and it doesn't change anything. It always fails to load and generates the NullReferenceException errors at exactly the same places every time. Is there no way to manually adjust those particular parameters to get it to load?

Check the first sticky post in this sub-forum,; one of the topics they discuss is about recovering saves (if possible).  They even provided handy dandy links to take you directly to the topic you want.

I hope you are lucky but normally, when a save file gets corrupted, it stays corrupted.  This is a con of the constantly saving mechanism that they have in this game (compared to others where you can make save points).  A recommendation for people that want to roll back saves is to constantly save their world.  There are ways to do that but I won't be able to assist as I never put in the effort - I been lucky that I never had a corrupted save so far but even if I did, I always figured I would just start a new world if it did happened.

Archived