A Pretty Awesome World Seed for Solo Survival

GypsyDragon

Been playing the game for years but got bored with the older Alpha Builds. Returned to the game recently and wanted a nice world seed where I could build a base in a great location so I wouldn't have to travel all over the map to find things to do.

For a few hours, I played with random world seed names, just entering in random words until I found something I liked, some of them were quite hilarious names as well!

What I settled on is shown in the pictures below that show you what I typed in and the resulting world name as well as the preview of the map. As you can see, there are several reasons why playing this map will be quite enjoyable. I always select the smaller 4K x 4K size for solo maps, because the larger 8K x 8K maps are simply going to be way too large to ever explore to completion on your own.

Ideal base building locations will be on the outer perimeter of the Green/Forest Biome in close proximity to one of the larger towns. For those of you unaware, your base location being physically inside the Green Biome is important because you will rarely be hot or cold which eats away at your Stamina, Hunger, and Thirst significantly. Regardless of your choice of biome, you will want to be nearby a trader. Without a trader, progressing through levels without questing is slow and you will find yourself running out of POIs (Points of Interest) to explore because the benefit of starting a quest is that it resets the POI in question, filling it with enemies and loot even if you have recently cleared the POI. I believe the absolute best base location options are as follows:

1.) Top-Left Corner Of Green Biome as close to the top large town as possible. This may not give me quick access to large bodies of water, but I am sure I will find other sources of water and it does give me quick access to the Desert/Light Brown Biome, The Winter/White Biome, and at least two or three major traders who will have a multitude of quests for me to complete. The access to three different biomes gives me access to a steady supply of all basic resources including wood, stone, coal, aloe, and a steady supply of wildlife for raw meat amongst many other basic resources.

2.) Top-Right Corner Of Green Biome, again as close to the top large town as possible. In this area I have quick access to more large bodies of water than I would ever know what to do with, but I loose quick access to the snow biome which is a rather hefty loss. However, with the correct positioning of my base, I could have access to at least two or three major traders for plenty of mission supply while still having fairly quick access to the Burnt Forest/Pink Biome. The Burnt Forest has never been of particular interest of me considering the bare resources and bland POIs in my opinion but perhaps someone else feels differently. In the case of this particular seed, I am even more unlikely to care about access to the burnt biome considering there are no towns or any POIs in the biome on this seed.

3.) Bottom of Green Biome near the Center or off slightly to the right. This would be an interesting choice. While only offering quick access to a single, medium-sized town but there is another decent town to in the top-left direction on the border of the White Biome within a reasonable distance. In addition to this, this is a great location for the highest-level loot possible in the later stages of the game thanks to the large town in the bottom-right corner of the map split between the Pink and WasteLand/Dark Brown biomes. Since WasteLand is considered to be the highest difficulty of the game, the POIs in this large town are certainly going to have the best loot you can find within this seed.

Unfortunately I have not started a playthrough yet so I cannot tell you what direction to head in inside of the game, but give the seed a try and let me know how it goes! I will also be updating this thread as I progress.

I usually play with 90-minute days and blood moon every 4 days with 12 zombies spawned at once during the blood moon on Warrior difficulty for solo survival. There are a number of reasons for this:

1.) I find myself running out of time with 60-minute days both during the day trying to complete longer tier IV and V quests along with trying to organize my storage, cook food, and craft or repair items at night, especially late-game. 90-minute days almost entirely solves these problems however early game you will find yourself standing around at night with nothing to do.

2.) Blood Moons every 4 days combined with 90-minute days means a blood moon every 6 hours in game. This is slightly faster than the default 7 days with 60-minute days that gives you a blood moon every 7 hours in game instead. This makes the game a bit more interesting while still allowing ample time to prepare a strong base for the Blood Moons.

3.) Warrior Difficulty makes the game challenging and fun but anything higher and I find the zombies turn into bullet sponges. While this may be fine in a Co-Op scenario with multiple times the firepower at your disposal, this isn't such a big deal but with your back in a corner on solo, it becomes so severely annoying that I don't even want to play the game anymore. I really think it is time for a re-balance from the devs.

So there we are, all set up for my first real survival in several Alpha Builds, wish me luck!

2112255805_GreatPyramidPreview.thumb.jpg.f5d821844db0d39bdb1bb5df84f8532f.jpg

1469978290_GreatPyramidSeed.thumb.jpg.9de52d58c61bcdfe7e9faa56b4d91ca9.jpg

37 minutes ago, GypsyDragon said:

I always select the smaller 4K x 4K size for solo maps, because the larger 8K x 8K maps are simply going to be way too large to ever explore to completion on your own.

Imho 4K is to small. Way to easy to cross the whole map.

34 minutes ago, GypsyDragon said:

1.) Top-Left Corner Of Green Biome as close to the top large town as possible. This may not give me quick access to large bodies of water, but I am sure I will find other sources of water and it does give me quick access to the Desert/Light Brown Biome, The Winter/White Biome

Winter biome == water. Just dig snow, you can melt snow into glasses of water in a camp fire. Since snow stacks up to 6000, going to snow biome once, digging up for 1-2 stacks of snow basically provides you supply of water forever and only uses up 1-2 inventory slots.

Furthermore (sadly) there is no real strong reason to go to any specific biome. There are only two exceptions: Snow biome because of snow for water and desert for oil shale (also need to travel there only once, dig out 1-2 stacks of oilshale, done), probably also desert to find yucca and aloe for your first seeds (but can also be found in POIs in every biome).

45 minutes ago, GypsyDragon said:

Since WasteLand is considered to be the highest difficulty of the game, the POIs in this large town are certainly going to have the best loot you can find within this seed.

The biomes have different difficulties because there different, tougher enemies will spawn (lumberjacks in snow, vultures in wasteland, desert, burnt forest, increased (zombie) animal spawnrate in wasteland) and environmental threats but no general higher difficulty. So there is no real reward for going there. Wasteland DOES NOT drop better loot. They do not even contain special POIs.

That's hopefully gona change with A20, where biomes (and probably even certain POIs) will get gamestage offset. So they have higher difficulty but also gain increased/improved loot.

General tip for interesting maps: Try nitrogen. For the RWG your map looks indeed good, but imho nitrogen creates much better maps, especially the towns are way better.

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

That's hopefully gona change with A20, where biomes (and probably even certain POIs) will get gamestage offset. So they have higher difficulty but also gain increased/improved loot.

If I remember that streaming video from TFP correctly, I think they are planning to keep it a bit like the current way. Where The wastelend will be the "end game biome" with lots of nasty zombies.

Well this map is turning out to be Fantastic. I spawned in next to the Snow Biome and realized that it was to my East, indicating that my screenshot of the RandomGen Previewer was upside-down. Here Are my final settings for the playthrough:

20210115062228_1.thumb.jpg.5f57c7dfcd88106f4bbf67b63f02ef2b.jpg

20210115062255_1.thumb.jpg.327b93bbf709b40d7417472f36b7b7ab.jpg

Here is my little starting Trader:

20210115093540_1.thumb.jpg.f850cea08f0c8c69f2caae1e7ee1365c.jpg

The Desert Biome is in the South with the Wasteland in the North. This was confirmed by following the Snow Biome Border to the South-Eastern corner of the map, where I did indeed run into the Desert Biome. Be wary following this border, it is packed full of dangerous enemies. Along the way I found 2 Mountain Lions (Avoided), 4 LumberJacks, a Wolf (Avoided), and even a Bear (Avoided), plus more random wandering zombies than I have ever encountered in a short journey, all in a short hike of about 1.0-1.5 KM to the South-Eastern corner and all acting like they work for the border control, every powerful enemy chilling and wandering right on the Biome Border.

20210115094644_1.thumb.jpg.1fe2a162b95a2fbfe0a11487100bcfb0.jpg

20210115095137_1.thumb.jpg.addf75eb73045c41946ef3bec8e5fabb.jpg

From here, I quickly found the large city you saw at the top of the preview since its upside down, the one that extends into the Desert Biome slightly, and boy does it have some Great POIs! Literally within a few minutes of arriving, I found a large ShotGun Messiah Factory, Several other large factories, Water Works, Savage Country, Pass-N-Gass, Joey's Car Lot, Fats Food, 2 Fire Stations, and several large modern houses within about a square Kilometer of each other. Plus I didn't even have time to explore all of it yet, there is even more to do! Within this single screenshot hidden behind the large factories is at least 10 Tier IV and V POIs:

20210115100037_1.thumb.jpg.068cc0eb9308cabf87f6c446ce5ae893.jpg

By the end of the day I swapped my basic spears and bow for an Iron Crossbow and a couple level 2 Blunderbusses. But even the small POIs here are a bit dangerous. The house I chose to clear out for temporary shelter almost killed me. This is definitely the best small word RandomGen Ive ever played so far!

21 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I started this yesterday and it is a blast. For the first time I have to worry about the weather. I found a clothing store within the first hour and didn't mark it. Spent an hour looking for it this morning, lol.

Nice man glad you are enjoying it. Right now Ive saved on the morning of Day 4 which for me is horde day. Hopefully Ill get to play here in a bit and see if I can survive in my improvised water-tower base. Ended up with a level 2 AK-47 by the end of day 2 by buying it from the big city Trader. But I don't have enough ammo for it so I believe I saved just before a clear zombies mission first thing in the morning so I can hopefully find a bit more ammo before focusing on base defences the rest of the day.

So I played through day 8 today, saved and quit just before the second Blood Moon is set to begin. Ive started to build my own base but its not ready yet so the water tower temp base has undergone emergency repairs for blood moon night.

I run normal days with a Hunting Rifle, Blunderbuss, and Crossbow to conserve more important ammunition for Blood Moons. Back at my temporary base I have a level 2 AK-47, Level 2 Double-Barreled Shotgun, and Level 2 Pistol as well as a Level 3 Sledge Turret which you will see further below in preparation for the Blood Moon.

780034615_Day7BaseBeginnings.thumb.jpg.04574239812fdbb9982092d89af54399.jpg

So, here we go, Time for Blood Moon #2. I have my high DPS weapons equipped, repaired the water tower, grabbed a vitamin, lots of ammunition, food to eat just before Blood Moon Begins so I don't have to worry about Thirst or Hunger during the Horde, and now when I go to play again, I have a fun night to look forward to! Ill be using the Pistol as much as possible considering I don't much care for the 9mm weapons in this game. In fact the Sniper Rifle is actually my favorite. I care much more about saving 7.62 ammunition than 9mm so I don't care how much 9mm I blow through. Wish me Luck!

1005609257_Day8BloodMoonPrep.thumb.jpg.c3f032f5c163a8088a6c7d6e108d2445.jpg

904346140_Day8BloodMoonInventory.thumb.jpg.21b9449cae715431d0764f75c8a08d84.jpg

Hows it goin guys? This will be my second-to-last update on this thread. Played through the Day 12 Horde today, but unfortunately died legitimately for the first time. My first death was utter BS, I was on a tier ONE "Clear Zombies" quest when two freaking Bears broke into the house simultaneously on like Day 2 or 3 when all I had was a pointy stick and a bow. There was nothing I could have done, I just heard a growl and there they were, behind me and in the living room of the house with me.

This second death was legitimate. I under-estimated the third blood moon. I figured it would be relatively easy with my AK-47 being a mid-stage weapon but I was WRONG, the reinforced wood was nowhere near strong enough and they broke right in and slaughtered me quite quickly while I struggled to hold them back. I took this as a lesson though and have already built myself a forge and have begun manufacturing cobblestone rocks to upgrade the base with strategically-placed cobblestone blocks and iron doors before the forth Blood Moon comes on Day 16.

I have also begun digging a trench around the base to force the zombies to path to my walkway as intended but unfortunately I am having serious issues digging in the water. But here is a picture shortly before I started the third Blood Moon and died.

524508233_Day12BloodMoonPrep.thumb.jpg.099d13894a8ffe858d287e988ec2c2fd.jpg

What is up guys, its time for the final update for this thread. Ive got one last treat in store. I decided to record the 5th Blood Moon (Day 20) using the Radeon Re-Live feature and threw it up on YouTube so I could link it here. It will be at the bottom of this post.

This seed has been amazing, Over the weekend I binged on the game a bit and now Im quite far. Survived the 4th horde (Day 16) without taking a single hit after putting in iron doors and cobblestone blocks. 

However, the 5th Blood Moon (day 20) didn't go as well. I didn't change some of the blocks from reinforced wood to cobblestone thinking it was too high for the zombies to hit, but then they started stacking and ended up destroying my roof and getting in that way. I survived but took a lot of damage and the base suffered a bit as well.

However, overall after returning to the game after nearly 2 years not playing, I would say all has gone very well. But, I did make some critical mistakes and you will see I have quite the zombie pathing problem and I am forced to exit my killbox several times through the night to draw them in the right direction.

Originally I figured I would just dig a trench around the sides and rear of the base, however, digging under water doesn't seem to work properly in this Alpha. I just get a splash animation and get stuck hitting the water block instead of the dirt underneath the water.

I don't feel like rebuilding my entire base after getting this far so Im just going to survive as many Blood Moons as I can without any other modifications and when I die, I will start on a new Seed. Game stage is about 100 anyways, Im getting close to the highest level loot. Its been fun, be sure to give the seed a try for yourself! Heres my Day 20 Blood Moon gameplay:

Archived