Some suggestions, mostly for crafting and progression.

2.5cmdonger

Hello and welcome to my thread. It's a very nice thread where I will ramble on about game mechanics and suggestions for 7d2d. This whole post is credited to the massively potent blunt I confiscated from my brother. So, a huge shoutout and thanks to my babybro.

Fewer instructions and less hand-holding. A key element of 7d2d is getting the player to think 'what would I do?' or 'could I really survive?' and the more instructions you give us ingame the more we are reminded that it is just a game. To that end it would be better if tips, instructions, and recipes remained vague or hidden until after the player has discovered them. Obviously this can be a source of frustration but it's the kind that leads to the satisfaction of figuring something out on your own. And now more than ever there will be a wealth of youtube videos, wiki pages, and forum discussion for when a player doesn't want to test themselves.

More in-depth crafting. Meaning more stages to crafting an item and split recipes over a greater variety of crafting stations. Basically, the goal is to use fewer raw materials but then spend more time crafting the materials up. Which means generating more heat and forcing more base defense.

More than one way to craft something. Like how the campfire and chemstation offer an expensive early game method and a efficient late game method to make glue. This also ties in with offering the player fewer instructions because finding the 'smart' way of doing something and finding it all on your own is a pretty satisfying moment.

More craft only items.  Craft only items can be used to gate progression and as we all know the rate of progression is key in the survival genera. My suggestion for items to use in this fashion would be the wrench, ratchet, and impact driver. Which would gate all vehicles… obviously that's a huge balance shift but I think a few crafting gates could help the game last longer in pve.

More loot only items. There needs to be more reason to keep looting at late game, currently the only reason to keep looting is brass and that's just not exciting. My suggestion would be very rare tier 4 weapons. These t4 weapons could have flashy graphics to raise their appeal but be only slightly more powerful than the t3 weapons so that balance isn't much affected.

Shields. Which requires the ability to duel wield, a big addition. But just think of the artwork, a metal trashcan lid, a police riot shield… heck, a priceless oil painting as a shield.

Prone. The ability to lay prone and slowly crawl in a 1 block tall space.

Double jump. The two meter jump already opens up all the trollyness that a double jump would. But when you have that bit of hangtime before activating the second part of the jump.. Well it feels really really good. Let us feel good.

Drone strikes. Kinda playing on the idea that there is still some military force out there trying to eradicate the zombies. The drone could spawn just like the supply crate and do a large explosion somewhere near the player's location. This could serve three purposes: potential base damage and death, the explosion would generate a ton of heat and attract zeds, and it could be a source for extremely rare endgame crafting materials that could be harvested from the wreckage.

Player drawn graffiti. If you could find a way to let players freehand spray paint it would be a huge selling point for this game. I don't know of any openworld game that offers such a thing but I do know of a lot of creatively minded players who would LOVE it. I think player graffiti is something you could take right to the bank.

Crafting Stations. Laast thing, and it's a complaint. That thing you have titled a forge in the game… yeah, that's a kiln and not one that makes functional sense. It isn't even close to the setup required to make something from metal. So many games get this wrong and I'd like 7d2d to get it right. Do modern propane stations like these https://imgur.com/a/dTb497U .. instead of the nonsensical medieval smith setup that every other game has done.

Lets end this by saying that I honestly enjoy 7d2d and I have since the beginning when it was really rough. The game has a great ambiance that just sucks you in. On one hand the safety and comfort of your custom built base and on the other hand the anxiety and excitement of looting in the world. The development isn't exactly speeding along but it's clearly progressing in a good direction so to the pimps I say, keep up the good work!

Archived