Suggestions: Thin Riverbank/Lakeside Sub-Biomes, Hedges, Vines, Beehives, Searchable Trees

SandyBeaches

Suggestion 1. Riverbank biomes.

I regularly wander the bush IRL so something that has bothered me about RWG in 7days is that the land near water is no different to the rest of a biome. I may be remembering wrong, but in an earlier build I think we at least had a basic transition back when clay was a separate thing? There was never anything near what you will see in real life (Yes I know IT IS A VIDEO GAME etc).

My suggestion regarding this is that during world gen, after terrain gen and biome placement but before prefab placement, trace each body of water with a strip between 4 and 9 blocks thick on the outside and declare it a waterside sub-biome of whatever parent biome is there. The only extra snag would be a way for prefabs to know which direction is toward the water (for jetties etc but they can come in a later build). Normal sub-biome rules would apply from there.

By implementing this, you could have things:

Forest Biome:

• Sub Biome "Riverside" : Nature= Thick vegetation, willow trees. Deco=Bigger rubbish piles, weirs
  • Sub Biome "Swamp" : Nature = Clumped smaller trees, reeds, nests among the grass (See sugg 5). Deco=Puddles of standing water, abandoned rafts

Desert Biome:

• Sub Biome "Floodplain" : Nature= no trees, vibrant grasses and reeds. Deco= Driftwood bits and cars
  • Sub Biome "Oasis" : Nature = Thick, vibrant trees and grasses. Deco= Camping spots, animal remains

Burnt/Destroyed Biome:

• Sub Biome "LastStand" Nature= occasional green grass among ashes. Deco= Luggage, vehicles, holes where people tried to take cover from the fire. Survivor camps.

Suggestion 2. Hedges/Thick vegetation blocks.

As one of the oldest methods of fencing, hedges can be found nearly everywhere and are a noticeable absence in 7days. I would suggest implementing them in two ways: as a block texture (we really, REALLY need grass paint textures anyway) AND as segment models in the manner of pallets. A good set would be a ground block showing a trunk (so an inverted half block with a vertical centre pole sticking into the ground), a mid block (just a cube) which could either sit on top, or straight on the ground, and various top blocks. As an extra, make versions that are trimmed or have leaves sticking out. For material, set them as hay.

As utility, the tops could be used for thick vegetation.

Hedges will give map makers another way of blocking players without having constructed walls in the way. Hell, make versions that can be passed through at reduced speed and hide zombies behind them.

Suggestion 3. Vines.

Tresses can be climbed, and we have electrical conduit pieces that fit into corners etc. Why not vines?

Suggestion 4. Beehives.

One of the oldest industries on earth, bee keeping has many fans in games and in real life. Make a lootable block model or two and fun things may happen?

Suggestion 5. Random Lootable Trees Instead Of Nests On The Ground.

We have impostor blocks, destroy on loot and replace on destroy now so this should be pretty easy to implement, hell it could be modded. Instead of placing nests on the ground (which is really weird away from rivers) make every 10th tree or so lootable for a chance at eggs and feathers, and with the book, honey. After looting, it is replaced by a normal tree. Include fully mature player grown trees in this to make eggs renewable.

EDIT: Nests in pois are fine though as they can be put in places that make sense

Archived