A21 Skyrim Style Lockpicking MiniGame

xyth

2 hours ago, xyth said:

you using the latest SCore?  In my tests that was fixed.  I checked with Sphereii and he will repush latest. so maybe retest after that.

At the time of writing that post, update for SCore was not available yet, but I will try with the latest version, thanks. :)

Instead of a skeleton key, it needs a lishi tool:

Original Lishi Tools | Quality Tools Made by a Locksmith for Locksmiths

"2-In-1 Tools combine the ability to pick and then decode the cut depths of vehicle locks. Each tool corresponds to a particular keyway utilized by various automotive manufacturers worldwide. As such, there are approximately 100 2-In-1 Tools currently available."

Though it looks like only the automotive ones are the only ones the public can purchase now.... 

Pushed an update to the locks.  Reduced the amount of time for lockpicking to begin, reduced mod file size 75%.

The one person to give feedback said picks break too easy, so that will be adjusted in the next version of the SCore code that this mod uses.

Once more features are exposed in xml, I will share how you can adjust both lock difficulty and pick breaktime

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

• xyth changed the title to A20 Skyrim Style Lockpicking MiniGame

Hey guys,
    Working to get this mod to be functional. I've read through the entire forum and attempted to download the Score as well as the mod and unpacked them both in the mod folder in my common>7dtd>mod folder. Launching the game and attempting to load the world gives me a ton of error messages. I'm new to 7dtd mods and I have no idea what DMT is or how it works. Currently downloading and unpacking the mod manager to try and use it to install this mod.  

37 minutes ago, xyth said:

You just put this mod and the SCore folder into your Mods folder.  Thats it.

https://imgur.com/a/hQj6cmo

Above is a capture of the mod folder showing the Score and the locks mod and another image showing resulting failure when attempting to launch the game.

Edited by Dagger Digwillow (see edit history)

I cant tell whats going on there, lots of map errs, but i pushed an update that could be related.  Let me know if that new version fixes it.  Until the next score is pushed, and you need the latest version on his repo, the lock picking will be a bit too difficult.

15 minutes ago, xyth said:

I cant tell whats going on there, lots of map errs, but i pushed an update that could be related.  Let me know if that new version fixes it.  Until the next score is pushed, and you need the latest version on his repo, the lock picking will be a bit too difficult.

Same problem. Using the links in your first post of this thread I download the SCORE master. Moved the SCORE mod only into the Mods folder and then downloaded and moved the Locks Mod into the locks folder. Same problem as before. 

Mod works great, it's a massive improvement over the vanilla "stare at the countdown while snapping pick after pick after pick" style.  I think on average I use more lockpicks because I hit the spacebar too hard, but I'm getting better at it.  Using actual skill to open locks is a big change.  Being able to get through doors is a neat bonus (though temptation means I break into a room too early and end up getting lost in POIs sometimes). Enjoying it!

On 2/6/2022 at 2:57 PM, xyth said:

try starting a new game in Naz, not a pregen

SCore was just updated, so make sure you grab that.  https://downgit.github.io/#/home?url=https://github.com/SphereII/SphereII.Mods/tree/master/0-SCore

If you still have issues, please link your logfile.

https://github.com/gogrady4117/7DTD-Logs here is a copy of the log output. I removed 99.99% of the repetitive null reference as the file ballooned to 45 mb before I shut it down. 

Also with Spherell's mods should each mod be pulled out of the master folder once in the 7dtd mods folder or should it be left in the Spherell master folder?

15 hours ago, Dagger Digwillow said:

https://github.com/gogrady4117/7DTD-Logs here is a copy of the log output. I removed 99.99% of the repetitive null reference as the file ballooned to 45 mb before I shut it down. 

Also with Spherell's mods should each mod be pulled out of the master folder once in the 7dtd mods folder or should it be left in the Spherell master folder?

Turn off EAC.  That's the root cause of all those errors.  Use the games built in launcher to start the game without EAC enabled. 

2 hours ago, xyth said:

Turn off EAC.  That's the root cause of all those errors.  Use the games built in launcher to start the game without EAC enabled. 

Indeed this was the problem. I'm a little miffed that it took this long to finally find the solution.

Perhaps this is obvious to those familiar with moding 7dtd that it goes without saying but I didn't see this in the instructions for the mod on the mod page. Perhaps I missed it but if not can you add it? 

I was playing as usual today when I tried to pick a door and instead of a lock, this zoomed in texture popped up:

spacer.png

I still heard the "picking lock" sounds, but there was no visual feedback.  This had happened in a previous game session, but the issue fixed itself somehow when I tried to unlock a safe later on in the POI.  I'm also running a mod that lets you pick open vending machines (https://7daystodiemods.com/free-lunch-machines/). Could that be causing some kind of conflict?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, ddraggy said:

I was playing as usual today when I tried to pick a door and instead of a lock, this zoomed in texture popped up:

spacer.png

I still heard the "picking lock" sounds, but there was no visual feedback.  This had happened in a previous game session, but the issue fixed itself somehow when I tried to unlock a safe later on in the POI.  I'm also running a mod that lets you pick open vending machines (https://7daystodiemods.com/free-lunch-machines/). Could that be causing some kind of conflict?

Thanks!

Well this mod should disable vanilla lockpicking so I would imagine its not compatible.   I looked at his mod, and it shouldnt really impact lockpicking if you started a new save before adding both.

9 hours ago, xyth said:

Well this mod should disable vanilla lockpicking so I would imagine its not compatible.   I looked at his mod, and it shouldnt really impact lockpicking if you started a new save before adding both.

Yes, it's a new savegame with both mods running.  I don't know what it is that triggers the graphical bug, or what it is that fixes it -- it seems that if the first lock attempted is fine, it'll be fine for the entire session.  If it glitches, then it stays like that for a while until x happens, at which point it sorts itself out.  Mysterious.

47 minutes ago, ddraggy said:

Yes, it's a new savegame with both mods running.  I don't know what it is that triggers the graphical bug, or what it is that fixes it -- it seems that if the first lock attempted is fine, it'll be fine for the entire session.  If it glitches, then it stays like that for a while until x happens, at which point it sorts itself out.  Mysterious.

I have not seen that happen in my gameplay, but I will look for it.  

Hey @xyth, thanks for the mod, I really like the idea of playing the minigame rather than waiting for the lock to get picked.

I have successfully got this mod working with War of the Walkers (the newest version includes 0-SCore) by setting the AdvancedLocks property to "true" in the blocks.xml

However, I have found the same as others have posted that the picks break instantly when any resistance in turning the lock is met. It is able to turn if I am close to the point, but as soon as it is supposed to start wiggling, the pick will break.

I have a few ideas of what may be causing this:

It looks like in the code that controls the wiggle timing could be based on framerate (I have very little experience in coding, so may be mistaken) which may explain why some people are not seeing the same issue. I am running the game at 60fps and have found the same problems.

Another possibility could be related to keyboard, I believe the code accounts for partial pressing of keys, so lightly pressing the spacebar will not break the key as easily, however my keyboard's keys fully actuate even with a light touch (1mm actuation distance), which might be another reason why the picks are also breaking instantly.

Another question I had was:

I've tried commenting out the "playerInventory.RemoveItem(itemStack);" line of the BreakLockpick() function of the Keyhole.cs to test the mod without wasting lockpicks, but the change doesn't seem to have taken any effect as Umbreon5 has found.

Do you know if the SCore mod needs to be recompiled for the changes to take effect?

Sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds, but thought I would give some suggestions of what may be causing the issues as I do like this mod.

At the moment I am planning to continue using the mod and testing to see how it goes.

Would you have any ETA for when the SCore will be updated with the easier difficulty that you've mentioned?

After doing some testing I ran into a few other issues, but noticed the 0-SCore in the latest version of WOTW is v20.0.1.21069. I was able to update to v20.0.31.846 by deleting the mod folder and replacing it, then enabling AdvancedLocks again.

This fixed the issues I ran into, which included the E-wheel menu not working and the empty safes.

I did start running into the issue ddraggy showed screenshots of (where there were random textures in front of the lock during the minigame)

It did feel like I get 0.5s more wiggle time before picks break with the updated SCore, but a longer (or configurable) wiggle timer would be nice.

I haven't had time to extensively test yet, but it looks like everything else in WOTW is working fine so far after upgrading 0-SCore.

Mods should keep their SCore updated, at least to a semi current version.  Not much I can do about that though.  The breaktime is configurable in the blocks.xml of the SCore.   So is the success angle settings. 

<!-- 4 types of locks based on difficult. Easier to most difficult. -->
                <property name="MaxGiveAmount" value="10,8,6,4" />
                <property name="BreakTime" value="1.2,1.0,.8,.6" />

The easiest locks (based on the HP of that door or container) have a 10 degree success angle and a breaktime of 1.2 seconds.   Each perks increases the success angle 2 degrees and gives and extra .2 seconds breaktime.

So max perks into lockpicking makes the hardest lock the same as the easiest, and make easy locks very easy.

You can also damage the door, which will made a hard container easier.   The more its damaged, the weaker the lock.  

First off, thanks for a great mod, this is a huge improvement to vanilla lockpicking! Just wanted to report that I ran into the same graphical glitch as ddraggy, and I have no other lockpicking mods at all. It worked fine yesterday, but today it's not working and I haven't made any changes.

Thanks!