A21 Skyrim Style Lockpicking MiniGame

xyth

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

From the output, it looks like you're not including PatchScripts\FoodSpoilagePatch.cs in the build.

But, I don't know what you mean by this: "it appears that all 0-sphereiicore mods are needed for the build."

0-SphereIICore is one mod. You need to install and build all of it. If you're trying to just pick and choose which files or folders you include, then of course you're going to get errors.

I am trying to install only a lock picking mod. But apparently, in order to install a mod for hacking with a lock, you need to add other mods, including a mod for spoiling food (

For the lockpicking mod to build with DMT you ONLY need the 0-SphereIICore for it to build and load properly.  Maybe you have an old version of his core.   But you DO NOT need any other mods.   Your doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.  Video proof below:

https://youtu.be/Z8Gn6cHsFps

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, xyth said:

For the lockpicking mod to build with DMT you ONLY need the 0-SphereIICore for it to build and load properly.  Maybe you have an old version of his core.   But you DO NOT need any other mods.   Your doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what.  Video proof below:

https://youtu.be/Z8Gn6cHsFps

I watched your video before reading this message) I am allready subscribed to your channel)
I download the 0-SphereIICore archive from the link provided in the first post of this thread.
Show me what your DMT mod folder looks like, please. Perhaps, in addition to the 0-SphereIICore folder and the Lockpick mod folder, you need to copy other files from the archive to the DMT folder?

No other files are needed.  You likely did not setup DMT properly.  You might want to ask for DMT help in that forum.  There is nothing wrong with this mod, or SphereII's Core.  Make sure your using version 19.3.1.14 of the core.

14 hours ago, Survager said:

Can someone just tell me which folders and files I must to copy from the SphereIICore archive to the DMT Mods folder?

This is what is in the archive
image.png.712a118cd9eb5ba51ea671a9069716cc.png

I don't know where you got that archive, but it is not a "SphereIICore archive." It looks like an archive of the entire SphereII repository - including all his mods and modlets.

The files inside the "0-SphereIICore" folder - and only those files - are part of the SphereIICore mod.

If building C# code using DMT is too complicated for you (as it is for many people), then I recommend using the Mod Launcher instead: http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

You should be able to get both SphereII's Core mod and Xyth's lockpicking modlet directly through the Mod Launcher, and it will build any DMT or SDX mods/modlets automatically:

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/HowToInstallMods.html

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/ManagingModlets.html

5 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I don't know where you got that archive, but it is not a "SphereIICore archive." It looks like an archive of the entire SphereII repository - including all his mods and modlets.

The files inside the "0-SphereIICore" folder - and only those files - are part of the SphereIICore mod.

If building C# code using DMT is too complicated for you (as it is for many people), then I recommend using the Mod Launcher instead: http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

You should be able to get both SphereII's Core mod and Xyth's lockpicking modlet directly through the Mod Launcher, and it will build any DMT or SDX mods/modlets automatically:

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/HowToInstallMods.html

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/ManagingModlets.html

What does C# code coding have to do with installing a pre-made mod using DMT?
Mods are created so that people who do not know how to program can easily change their game.

I am interested in figuring out why this does not work for me in the case of DMT.

Moreover, the lock picking mod works only with DMT, as far as I know.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:30 AM, Survager said:

What does C# code coding have to do with installing a pre-made mod using DMT?

[...]

Moreover, the lock picking mod works only with DMT, as far as I know.

I'm going to assume that you don't know what DMT does.

The DMT mods that you download (like, say, SphereIICore) contain C# code that is structured in a way that the DMT tool can recognize. DMT then compiles that C# code, creates binary .dll files, and modifies the game's own .dll files to load them.

I am leaving out a lot of details, but that's the general idea. If you want to learn more, here's a good overview of DMT (including SDX and Harmony patching), written by SphereII:

https://7d2dmods.github.io/HarmonyDocs/

And here is the thread that you want if you are having trouble installing mods with DMT:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/13037-dmt-modding-tool/

Also: the lockpicking mod does not depend upon DMT. It depends upon SphereIICore. It is SphereIICore that must be compiled with DMT.

And, yes, you should compile all of the C# code inside the SphereIICore mod, even the code that is not directly relevant to lockpicking. That's how it is designed. It might be possible to isolate just the C# code that deals with lockpicking, but it wouldn't be easy. I am a C# programmer by trade, and I wouldn't want to do it.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, khzmusik said:

I'm going to assume that you don't know what DMT does.

The DMT mods that you download (like, say, SphereIICore) contain C# code that is structured in a way that the DMT tool can recognize. DMT then compiles that C# code, creates binary .dll files, and modifies the game's own .dll files to load them.

I am leaving out a lot of details, but that's the general idea. If you want to learn more, here's a good overview of DMT (including SDX and Harmony patching), written by SphereII:

https://7d2dmods.github.io/HarmonyDocs/

And here is the thread that you want if you are having trouble installing mods with DMT:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/13037-dmt-modding-tool/

Also: the lockpicking mod does not depend upon DMT. It depends upon SphereIICore. It is SphereIICore that must be compiled with DMT.

And, yes, you should compile all of the C# code inside the SphereIICore mod, even the code that is not directly relevant to lockpicking. That's how it is designed. It might be possible to isolate just the C# code that deals with lockpicking, but it wouldn't be easy. I am a C# programmer by trade, and I wouldn't want to do it.

Someone earlier in this thread said they had this mod working for a dedicated server. Does this mod actually work for dedicated servers? It appears to be a mod, not a modlet, and reading through your explanation (compiling and modifying game files) it's still a bit unclear if it would work on a dedicated server. I would test it myself, but I can't. So I'm just going to ask you. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, DeadBrains said:

Someone earlier in this thread said they had this mod working for a dedicated server. Does this mod actually work for dedicated servers? It appears to be a mod, not a modlet, and reading through your explanation (compiling and modifying game files) it's still a bit unclear if it would work on a dedicated server. I would test it myself, but I can't. So I'm just going to ask you. Thank you.

DMT mods will work on dedicated servers, but you will need to compile the mod on both the server and any clients that connect to it.

I'm not a MP guy so I don't really have the details about how to mod a server. It also depends upon how you are able to access the server, e.g. if it's your personal machine, a hosted machine that you can RDP into, or a hosted machine where you can only upload files via FTP or similar.

Anyone who has done a server install of a mod with extra code (like Darkness Falls) should be able to help you out a bit more.

1 minute ago, khzmusik said:

DMT mods will work on dedicated servers, but you will need to compile the mod on both the server and any clients that connect to it.

I'm not a MP guy so I don't really have the details about how to mod a server. It also depends upon how you are able to access the server, e.g. if it's your personal machine, a hosted machine that you can RDP into, or a hosted machine where you can only upload files via FTP or similar.

Anyone who has done a server install of a mod with extra code (like Darkness Falls) should be able to help you out a bit more.

I was wondering if both the clients and server would need the mod -- that makes sense to me. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, DeadBrains said:

I was wondering if both the clients and server would need the mod -- that makes sense to me. Thank you.

Just an FYI, that is also true of anything with custom assets, like new item icons. Servers only push the contents of the Configs directory (since that's all plain text and doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth).

But it's a lot easier to install modlets that don't have custom C# code - you just put the modlet into the Mods directory, no compiling or messing around with the game files.

• 4 weeks later...

How do I tweak the lockpick difficulty in the core? I looked at the blocks.xml and the .cs files but I can't find my way around towards just making the mod easier.

It seems to be really difficult as is, even with all 3 levels of the lockpicking perk. Lockpicks break instantly instead of wiggling at all, and the placement of the lock is about as specific as Advanced or Master locks are in Skyrim, which makes finding the exact spot take quite some time. I took 22 attempts to open a lock just now when I can open master locks just fine in Skyrim. I've yet to find a lock that is remotely easy.

Would there also be any way to speed up the lockpick cursor movement speed, or make it follow the mouse like it does in Skyrim? The way it is is really slow so it's easy to lose track of where I last found the correct spot in the lock. Trying to use my mouse seems to "rotate" the lockpick instead of actually moving it.

Regardless, this is a very interesting concept of a mod and being able to have this system in a game that didn't have a minigame whatsoever in place is impressive, and the work done here is really nice.

I'm not at PC but the mod is completely configurable in the code.  I found the mouse to make things tough but the current settings make it almost too easy if you use the keyboard.  I'm not sure about improving the mouse control as I just used the keys but I can look at it.

9 hours ago, xyth said:

I'm not at PC but the mod is completely configurable in the code.  I found the mouse to make things tough but the current settings make it almost too easy if you use the keyboard.  I'm not sure about improving the mouse control as I just used the keys but I can look at it.

I think I found the settings now, though I'm not sure if I should be changing Cipher.cs, Keyhole.cs or maybe something else. Basically I just really need help understanding what I'm even looking at. I know a bit of C# code, but not enough to just read this and find my way around.

There's so many settings here that I'm not even sure where to start to improve the difficulty. I'd like for the lockpick wiggling when not at the correct spot to last longer and be a lot closer to what it is like in Skyrim. At (seemingly) default values the lockpick seems to wiggle for a single frame or two before breaking it, instantly punishing me for being on the wrong spot in the lock. It'd be better if it lasted longer than that like to allow for reaction time.

I think I also see a setting to speed up the lockpick's movement speed when using the arrow keys, but I'm not too sure if I am looking in the right place. But if you can make it so it can actually follow the mouse instead of rotating the lockpick all over in strange directions (not moving it the way the keyboard does) that'd be great.

Keyhole.cs is the main file to edit.  There is a lot of documentation in that file that should show you what sections do what.

We didnt implement cypher locks, maybe in A20 but since this mod wasnt popular Im not sure how much time we will put into expanding it.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

6 hours ago, xyth said:

Keyhole.cs is the main file to edit.  There is a lot of documentation in that file that should show you what sections do what.

We didnt implement cypher locks, maybe in A20 but since this mod wasnt popular Im not sure how much time we will put into expanding it.

Thanks but some pointers would be genuinely helpful. Having to read an entire C# file myself is really not comfortable.

Most of the difficulty adjustments are under the //Events comment section.  In the lockobject rotation .cs file are adjustments for the mouse, but those we left at default settings from the package we bought and adapted.  

Alright, I tried to change some settings, but it seems to have ignored my changes for the most part. Wiggling still only happens for a single frame or two before breaking the lockpick instantly, even if I set it to the (if I'm reading correctly) maximum range of 5f, where it was at 1f normally. The turn speed of the lockpick also didn't change when i tried to increase it to test. I think the range of the "correct spot" is in did change, but it has odd results like making it so the lock doesn't turn even partially when i'm near the spot, but reaching the spot has the lock turn completely, so I'm not even sure if it did take the new values.

In general, it seems to just not be taking my settings at all.

Also mouse movement settings seem to be way too complicated for me to change and don't appear to make it so the lock moves only in a specific angle, and rather just move in multiple directions.

Sorry, but I think I'm just going to sit out of this mod for the time being. It's way too difficult to use in both gameplay and setting changes. The default settings are not easy at all.

Edited by Umbreon5 (see edit history)

Sorry your having trouble on default settings.  I find when using the keys it way too easy for me so I never bother to add points to lock picking perk.  I lightly press the spacebar and in a faction of a second I can tell if the pick is meeting resistance and might snap.  If you just mash the spacebar you will snap it every time.  Press lightly and release.

• xyth changed the title to A20 Skyrim Style Lockpicking

Updated for A20.   No idea if its too hard or too easy for folks, so let me know.

New for A20!

If you break a door or chest part way, the lock becomes easier to pick.

You can use more keys to rotate lockpick, and the joystick should work too.

2 hours ago, xyth said:

Updated for A20.   No idea if its too hard or too easy for folks, so let me know.

New for A20!

If you break a door or chest part way, the lock becomes easier to pick.

You can use more keys to rotate lockpick, and the joystick should work too.

gIKbkZO.png

1. I don't know but the last five safes I've picked are empty so Idk if this mod affects the loot content of the safe ( Loot Abundance is set to 100%).

2. There's no "click" sound when the safe is successfully picklocked.

3. I thought there you'd be able to use one single lockpick for many attempts until it's broken (like the lockpicking mechanism in the Fallout series). With this mod, the lockpick breaks instantly when you're not in the sweet spot of the lock.

• xyth changed the title to A21 Skyrim Style Lockpicking MiniGame