My second visit to the "Eye Adaption" effect (screen lightens and darkens when entering rooms/poi's/any structure

Bolshie Colt

Changing the <property name="ambientInsideThreshold" value=".2"/> value from ".2" to "1.0" inside the worlglobal.txt in data/config will completely remove any lightening and darkening effects when walking into POI's.

<property name="ambientInsideThreshold" value="1.0"/>

My other attempts at adjusting it to levels that looked more natural during the day caused it to be too bright when looking outside windows at night time. Like, walking inside a POI at night time caused the outside world to brighten.

The last post got some views and responses so i thought i would share this as well.

That's Config/worldglobal.xml, for those that want to experiment themselves.

I'm convinced this is a bug!  It goes beyond being too much or too little.  It's actually backwards.

When you walk into a dark room, your pupils expand to let in more light.  When you walk out into bright sunlight, your pupils contract to let in less light.  That's how it's supposed to work.  But in 7DtD, if you walk inside your virtual 'pupils' contract to make the dark darker, and if you walk outside your virtual pupils expand to make the bright brighter.

Plenty of games use this eye adaptation effect, and it can look great, but this game has it set backwards.

Here is an old bug report on this.  I just haven't gotten around to formally re-submitting it.

The effect is not eye adaptation, which is a post processing screen effect. It is not about your eyes adjusting. It is about going into a dark house and it being dark. Ambient light from outside should not be brightening up a dark basement or mine shaft, so ambient is decreased when you go indoors. The old block darkening was buggy and slow, so it was disabled and replaced with the current system, which may or may not be what is in gold.

42 minutes ago, faatal said:

The effect is not eye adaptation, which is a post processing screen effect. It is not about your eyes adjusting. It is about going into a dark house and it being dark. Ambient light from outside should not be brightening up a dark basement or mine shaft, so ambient is decreased when you go indoors. The old block darkening was buggy and slow, so it was disabled and replaced with the current system, which may or may not be what is in gold.

I think that since apparently so many people hate it, it should at least be added as a new option before the game starts... just saying. :peep:

I mean, like on/off... not saying we should go back to the old "slow" system.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I think that since apparently so many people hate it, it should at least be added as a new option before the game starts... just saying. :peep:

I mean, like on/off... not saying we should go back to the old "slow" system.

A few people on the forums complaining doesn't exactly compare to "many people".  There are a LOT of people that play this game and never go to the forums.  Just sayin'.  :p

5 hours ago, faatal said:

How is "indoors" defined by the game?  Is this something POI designers have to indicate, or does the game calculate what is considered indoors based on geometry?  Do changes to POIs change this?  Curious about whether expanding/modifying POIs or building my own base on open land creates new indoor areas.

12 hours ago, jdifran said:

How is "indoors" defined by the game?  Is this something POI designers have to indicate, or does the game calculate what is considered indoors based on geometry?  Do changes to POIs change this?  Curious about whether expanding/modifying POIs or building my own base on open land creates new indoor areas.

It is calculated by scanning through neighboring blocks. That algorithm is old and actually something I'd like to look at and see if it can be improved, since the results don't seem that great.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

It is calculated by scanning through neighboring blocks. That algorithm is old and actually something I'd like to look at and see if it can be improved, since the results don't seem that great.

Good to know.

It doesn't massively disturb me, but it looks often wired. I'd also expected it to be eye adaption, but in the wrong direction (what is would be actually a nice mechanic imho) but if you enter a building at ground floor with multiple windows, it becomes suddenly very dark. Ok, basement should be dark (low ambient light)... i understand it's hard to implement, but.... if it doesn't work, just leave it.

I guess i should not ask for implementing raytracing to get it really working? :D

5 hours ago, faatal said:

If you do that I was thinking that you could maybe give different "ratings" to blocks around the player based on their position and distance.

Floors (under the player) of course would have no impact on the lighting from the sun. Walls would be half as important and ceilings the most impacting.

12 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

"_sheltered"  - this is a numeric value, but the "ambientInsideThreshold"  this is only threshold.

Thanks.

Probably lighting would be more natural if there were more intermediate steps between inside and outside ambient light.

Archived