Is building necessary in this game?

Doomjoon

I'm considering getting this game for myself, but before that I want to ask if the gameplay loop usually associated with it of building, mining, farming and so on is necessary to play? I'm not really interested in this kind of gameplay, and while I know that there are other games to check out if I don't want it, I just want to know for this game if it's possible to more "life off the land", by looting and using already constructed buildings from the world as temporary bases to survive the night (I've played the game some years back so I know how some of this stuff works).

EDIT: I guess I would be fine with adding some small ad-hoc improvements to those temporary bases but if the game requires you to have super-beefy death fortresses with more traps than you can count on your digits then it just isn't the game for me.

Totally doable especially if you turn off the bloodmoon hordes. Even with bloodmoon hordes on you can do fine as long as you realize you will probably have to move afterward unless repairing the building is fun. Perhaps changing bloodmoon a to being every 3 weeks rather than every week would be good for you. 

You don't need to build,mine or farm. It just made your life easier.

You can escape the bloodmoon horde, when you just use any vehicle and drive around at night. Even works with a bicycle. Or when you play singleplaye just turn it off.

You can find some POI with some campfire for cooking water and food you found/hunt.

Do quests to get cash and buy vehicles from the traders for more mobile storage. But without mining (i count salvaging to mining) you will have a hard time to get enough fuel. You prolly need to buy all oil shade from trades and find some chemistry station to made fuel out of them.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:23 AM, Canute said:

You don't need to build,mine or farm. It just made your life easier.

You can escape the bloodmoon horde, when you just use any vehicle and drive around at night. Even works with a bicycle. Or when you play singleplaye just turn it off.

You can find some POI with some campfire for cooking water and food you found/hunt.

Do quests to get cash and buy vehicles from the traders for more mobile storage. But without mining (i count salvaging to mining) you will have a hard time to get enough fuel. You prolly need to buy all oil shade from trades and find some chemistry station to made fuel out of them.

Please dont provide erroneous advice if you dont play the game properly 😉

- You cant escape Blood Moon hordes anymore : the vultures will tear you apart like a rabid crowd at Walmart on a Black Friday. Its actually a nightmare with vehicles as well, im stunned you even think that doing this with a bicycle is as fine.

- Very few POIs have campfires but this is one of the easiest thing to craft. TC will have to carry around pots, grills and beakers though.

- Oil Shale is rarely available at traders and if it is, it'll be in tiny quatities. Same with working chem stations: they're not common. If the person doesnt want to wait for this, its way better to wrench some cars and loot gas barrels for fuel.

With the Bloodmoon escape you are all prolly right.

But he ask about some way's without building,mining and farming.

And isn't placing a campfire building and salvaging a car mining ?

He need to decide how much building and mining he will do later.

Right now the easiest way to avoid the Bloodmoon horde is to just accept the death by striping naked and running out to die. As once all players die the horde ends and if where you died is far enough from your spawn point all the zombies will despawn as well. Then you have a peaceful red hued night to do what ever you want as no more zombies will spawn outside the sleepers in buildings. 

Another option is to stack run speed/stamina regen to allow your character to out run the zombies on foot as that is very possible but difficult especially with cops and vultures.

Edit - As for using any vehicle you can forget about that.

I've played nomad style with bloodmoons turned on. And i never used a POI twice for bloodmoon. So i had to move at least once a week.

Only allowed building was a little bit fortifying POIs (closing doors, windows, etc., not even storage crates). In the beginning i didn't even build own campfires/forge/workstations... and so on, so i relied on that one found in POIs or at the trader. But it became very anoying pretty soon, because i needed to stay close to a trader and or had long ways to travel.

I changed to allow to build campfires/workstations/... but i had to take them with me every time i moved (or build new ones, what most times would have been to expensive).

I continued with that until week 5 or 6, but then started to really turn a POI into a permanent base, because i reached the point where i couldn't keep up with the bloodmoon, because moving and fortifying and crafting ammo, etc. took to much time.

But without bloodmoon it is totally doable. But i tried similar playthroughs also without bloodmoon and for me it became boring pretty soon.

I like moving into an existing building and making it my base, usually a modest house out in the suburbs. I'll plant a garden and reinforce a few walls, but just that minimum investment is all you need. Going full nomad is harder IMO since you can't store your loot, so you have to make some very hard choices and limit your capabilities.

Blood moons I hide on top of a large cement POI without a lot of prep work and kill what I can with guns, molotovs, and junk turrets. You definitely don't need to build elaborate things to play this game.

On 12/20/2020 at 6:48 AM, Doomjoon said:

I see, thanks everyone, I'm gonna try out the game then :D

Lots of videos out there for different builds/playstyles.  The great news is you can tweak many different settings (or even mod) to play the game the way that you prefer.  For example, the horde that attacks the player on day 7 can be tweaked to come later or turned off all together.  You can even tweak the day/night hours cycle settings to match the pace that you prefer.

Those that like things more survival and tense, will ramp up the difficulty. (e.g. zombies always run, quicker days, etc.)  Those that want more of a relaxed romero / TWD style gameplay can also find settings that work for them. (e.g. no running zombies)

Archived