Custom storyline/quest creation on gold

Firaxion

Hi all!

I was wondering are there any plans for modding tools allowing extra storyline/quest/NPC creation for 7 days on gold release?

I ask as it seems to me that, should custom-created placeable/condition spawnable NPCs (both friendly and hostile) with editable dialogue trees be made not too crazy complex to add into the game from scratch (based upon in game available assets), then such an addition could open the gates for some pretty damn advanced immersive new storytelling potential from the community and workshop (given the current quest system implemented and once bandits/ranged human hostiles are added too of course =D).

The current base game loops and gameplay of 7 days already seem rock solid and something like this would extend the endgame out into quite a limitless potential in my eyes.

Stuff like custom placeable POIs, audio dialogue and animation import would of course be the crazy icing on the cake as well, but clearly not necessary for keeping things functional and engaging for narrative purposes.

If it wasn't obvious I don't have much experience in modding here, I have dabbled with some xml modlets with pretty darn positive results in 7 days, but nothing more advanced than that....

However having said that, I feel making story, plot and character creation on the current base of 7 days accessible to the maximum number of players possible could have amazing results.

Is this pie in the sky thinking or doable/planned?

Many thanks!

It's all accessible right this moment. Its just most people dont want to put in the hard work it takes to create something. It's never going to be as easy as click and drag  x to where you want it. I'm currently working on a full story driven mod myself. Completely new world with new creatures to fight, tons of quests (at about 40 something for the main story as of this writing) and new dungeons to go through. Been working on it for quite a while. several months now. And that's after already having years of modding experience and assets / codes that i can reuse from old mods. The functionality is there. You just have to put in the work to make it happen. My personal style of modding doesn't include sdx or dmt modding, so i'm kinda hindered a bit by having to think of work arounds for vanilla systems. But its doable.

Ah ok, so it's doable already! Thanks for the reply, I didn't realize that was the case.

I'll definitely readup, have a look at what I can fathom and give it a go myself then.

Going back to the accessability point, my thought process was mainly around the potential in the steam workshop. I think there are probably a fair few people out there that will never ever dig coding to any degree, but do have the ability to write a good character or decent fluff around quests.

I just like the idea of having lots of potential additional dlc and subplot story exploration written by lots of people. It could force a form of game story evolution and extended the endgame out quite considerably. It's sort of concerning to see that lack of endgame content is already a common recurrent complaint here (and the game isnt even officially released yet....).

On 12/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, Telric said:

It's all accessible right this moment. Its just most people dont want to put in the hard work it takes to create something. It's never going to be as easy as click and drag  x to where you want it. I'm currently working on a full story driven mod myself. Completely new world with new creatures to fight, tons of quests (at about 40 something for the main story as of this writing) and new dungeons to go through. Been working on it for quite a while. several months now. And that's after already having years of modding experience and assets / codes that i can reuse from old mods. The functionality is there. You just have to put in the work to make it happen. My personal style of modding doesn't include sdx or dmt modding, so i'm kinda hindered a bit by having to think of work arounds for vanilla systems. But its doable.

Just out of curiosity, does this require a custom map, or is it something that can be integrated into RWG?

21 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Just out of curiosity, does this require a custom map, or is it something that can be integrated into RWG?

If you want a linear storyline with an actual story, i'd say a custom map is the only way to go. Say if you had an NPC that spawns at a specific POI. RWG could spawn that POI multiple times, making more than one of those NPCs in the world. I have a few 'story-like' POIs on my mods.. My magisters mansion story POI can spawn multiple times through RWG. It's the same quest each time, so its not super worth it to redo the quest, but in order to get it spawning consistantly in each new world, i had to up the chance of more spawning.

The mod i'm doing now is fully custom. Very little of vanilla will be in it. And its very rpg-like. New weapons, including magic, abilities, all enemies can cast spells that are special to them... Dungeons and such. All this would be very hard to work into a fully RWG world. A custom map would be the way to go, specially since it will have a full story that has a linear goal.

Archived