How to make blood moon harder?

PladimirVutin

Hi friends!

3 buddys and I played this jewel of a game for the first time yesterday and had quite a blast. The only problem was that the blood moon was a bit of an anticlimax, we were really hyped for a horde and I think we got like 10-15 zombies in total? 

I’ve tried searching around for pointers on how to tweak the settings or even which mods to use to make these blood moons much more frigthening, but I havent found much. Mainly 4 year old threads. I understand that there is something about the gamestage and the game settings around how many zombies that can spawn at once, but I am a bit lost on how to do this. 

Any veterans out there that could give me a few pointers?

It ensures that zombies will always keep spawning until morning. (Unless you can manage to kill several thousand before then which is very unlikely)

It also allows the max alive zombies you've chosen in settings to be spawned.

Example: If you choose 64 alive, your day 7 horde will have 64 max alive and will keep spawning zombies until you kill 5000 zombies, or until morning.

6 hours ago, PladimirVutin said:

Hi friends!

3 buddys and I played this jewel of a game for the first time yesterday and had quite a blast. The only problem was that the blood moon was a bit of an anticlimax, we were really hyped for a horde and I think we got like 10-15 zombies in total?

So you just played your first bloodmoon ever, with fresh game and basically no experience in 7d2d? And now you think it is too easy?

I suggest, keep playing first. Let us know how your 3rd and 4th bloodmoon worked out.

With the default settings and new players that happen to level slower first, the first bloodmoon is known to be easy. That's... more or less intended. It is designed to just show you a tip what will come at you without being to hard for unexperienced players to handle. They will become tougher and tougher. Sometimes even sooner as you may like.

3 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

So you just played your first bloodmoon ever, with fresh game and basically no experience in 7d2d? And now you think it is too easy?

I suggest, keep playing first. Let us know how your 3rd and 4th bloodmoon worked out.

With the default settings and new players that happen to level slower first, the first bloodmoon is known to be easy. That's... more or less intended. It is designed to just show you a tip what will come at you without being to hard for unexperienced players to handle. They will become tougher and tougher. Sometimes even sooner as you may like.

Hehe, yes! It was not just too easy, but just a total cakewalk. I think we expected a totally different experience. No hate on the game or anything, but we are pretty casual gamers so just looking for a shortcut to that adrenaline-experience:) 

13 hours ago, PladimirVutin said:

Hehe, yes! It was not just too easy, but just a total cakewalk. I think we expected a totally different experience. No hate on the game or anything, but we are pretty casual gamers so just looking for a shortcut to that adrenaline-experience:) 

7d2d ist not a game that gives you permanent adrenaline rushes. Bloodmoon is just one aspect of the game. It's also survival and building. Evolving your character and your base over time. Not being thrown into action and then it's done. And the bloodmoon is also oriented on tower defense. The first wave (first bloodmoon) is not supposed to overwhelm you directly, but the waves are becoming constantly harder, and the "goal" is not to beat the first wave, but to try how many waves you can survive.

Also 7d2d is imho very time intensive to play. It's neither a singleplayer-story-game, that's finished after 20 hours playtime, nor a multiplayer shooter like CS:Go or Battlefield where one round plays for 30mins or 1 hour, and then repeates. 7d2d requires time to play. With default 60min-days and default-7th-day-bloodmoon you have to play 7 hours between each bloodmoon. So after 20 (21) hours, where you already might have reached the end of a singleplayer game, in 7d2d you ONLY have reached the third bloodmoon. With that, depending on your experience and play speed, there you mostly just have reached mid-game.

If you want it harder without needing to play dozens of hours, set bloodmoon to every 3 or 4 days instead of 7 and/or set day-time to 30min.

But i repeat: It's very naive to judge just on the first bloodmoon you have ever played. They are supposed to be easy, but they will become harder.

And another hint: How hard a bloodmoon is, is determined by your gamestage. You can see your gamestage in the players tab. Gamestage on the other hand is based on your level and how many days you survived without dying. So leveling up quicker, makes the bloodmoons harder sooner.

However the progression speed in early game is heavily discussed here, too. But the issue most times is not the difficulty of the bloodmoon, but how long it takes to become equipped well. You can't find iron tools or firearms until you reached gamestage 12. And even then you can only find simple iron tools and firearms. For being able to find the best weapons you have to reach a gamestage around 80 (don't have the exact value in mind). Some people like the slowed down progression, others hate it.

That also interacts with the bloodmoon difficulty, as they become harder, but you can't find good weapons early, so you have to handle them with worse equipment.

Default is 8 zombies  at a time, max is 64.

Yes, early BM do finish early. (first one in particular)

Crank up the difficulty, and they are harder to kill. Up the numbers and then there are more of them to kill.

Just did day 63 (90 min days tho), 32 zeds, 1 up on difficulty and was done by 3am.

Took a few thousand bullets and darts though.  :)

(was surprised I got them all before dawn again though)

Mind you, my base took a LOT of prep to make, and I could have just sat there and done nothing all night.

(60 dart traps)

More fun to turn half off and shoot everything. (gotta be careful with demos though... got'em with no kabooms)

(in A18 I could set it to insane, 64 zeds and they still wouldn't get to me. working up the level/numbers to test that in 19)

It will get more interesting as you gamestage goes up. The spiderguys can really be annoying.

Do NOT shoot the green glowy thing on the big guys though.  (or yes do, if you're morbidly curious)

😛

I agree with what Liezel said but here's the TL:DR

1. Blood-moon, like everything else, depends on Game Stage.

2. Your game stage depends primarily on the level of the players. (there are other factors, like recent deaths and what biome you are in)

3. As you progress your level goes up and the blood moon gets harder.  A LOT harder.

Do NOT expect your 10th blood moon to be as easy.  It increases gradually.

Here's a few tips to make bloodmoons (and the game in general) harder.

1- Turn up the difficulty

2- Increase max zombie count

3- Push the xp gain to 300% (yes it makes things harder as GS increases faster, but you don't have mroe time to loot/harvest/build)

4- Make zombies sprint at all times

5- Increase BM frequency or make BM random

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to play against the hordes more:

One option, and it is was mentioned above somewhat, but I believe you can also play it so:

- Every night is a horde night.

Optionally, set it so:

- Horde nights occur more "randomly" e g. every 3 days +/- 2 days, or something like that.

- Turn on the option where players can shoot/damage each other ;). Usually on horde night everyone is in the same place and this can get tricky,

- Mentioned above: Turn up the zombie block damage. Its a bit harder when searching POI's, but its *really* harder on a blood moon when they just start shredding your walls/digging.

Outside of settings:

- Add mods!  there are a LOT to choose from, and many aren't "horde night only", but if you play where the horde night is every 1-3 days, its going to feel like it, and since "every night is basically horde night" any mod you add to make the game harder counts :).  If you're just playing with friends, I would recommend mods that make explosives more dangerous to use (does severe block damage on your base and can hurt your friends if you're not careful).  Another option is to add mods that add more ammo/weapons, so it dilutes out what you normally find in loot, so when the horde night arrives maybe you have limited ammo spread across 5 different weapons instead of 1 gun and 300 rounds of the same ammo.  this might make it harder but also might be more fun to have to choose how to ammo/weapon ration amongst friends.

- There are mods to add more "boss" zombies. Not just during blood moon though.

- There are some mods that make building "harder" to do. Generally the only serious building you do is for your base, which mostly only matters for horde night, so when this involves more "steps" or resources to build you have less time and ability to make a super fortress early in the game.

- In game:

Its was mentioned above, but "don't die'. basically. it keeps your game stage from decreasing.

• 2 weeks later...

Too easy O.o when i first started 7days i got slaughtered on my first 2 blood moon hordes and that was back on alpha 15 suffice to say tho i had no clue what i was doing and didnt know of any youtubers doing it at the time, so wait until you get to at least your 4th blood moon horde :)

Archived