Jump to content

The new sidebar is awful


TSBX
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Maharin said:

I'd highly recommend AdNauseam over AdBlock.  And that's probably why I'm not seeing it at all.

According to this:  https://ppcprotect.com/adnauseam-extension-click-fraud/

 

AdNauseam is built on top of the uBlock Origin plugin, and adds a click "attack" to all ads in order to fight back against them (costing advertisers millions, which is great because they deserve to be punished for all that spam). Problem is (and plz correct me if I'm wrong), I think it piles up in your computer with thousands or more of tracking cookies to confuse the ad track sense. I'm personally not a fan of having unnecessary files in my computer no matter how small or harmless they might be. Besides, I use Super Antispyware to delete those tracking cookies all the time... I'd rather not have the 2 fight it out all the time. uBlock Origin on the other hand... that one so far seems to work better than adblock and adblock plus combined. I no longer see that skip ad button with a blank video screen in Youtube videos anymore, it just goes straight to the video once again like it was supposed to and used to before it changed recently. I'll keep using uBlock with adblock disabled for a while and decide later which one I'll keep long term.

 

EDIT: Removing this sidebar thing again was a bit confusing this time, but at least it worked in the end. Just a new technique to get used to.

 

2 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Adblock is basically the God I worship. What would you say AdNauseam does better than adblock?

See above.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

 

Adblock is basically the God I worship. What would you say AdNauseam does better than adblock?

 

 

It doesn't play favorites or play games.  It will actually "click" on ads for sites you want it to so they get credit for the ads but you don't have to see them.  It tends to be all around nicer to the user and the site you go to.  I haven't found a site it doesn't work with and it even faithfully blocks YouTube ads and the ads on Amazon's IMDB free/ad based movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fox said:

AdNauseam is built on top of the uBlock Origin plugin

This is actually pretty good to hear because uBlock Origin is a lot nicer and considerably more lightweight than AdBlock is. I've been using uBlock Origin for a couple of years because I was tired of AdBlock missing things, and using a lot more RAM than was necessary.

I will definitely take a look at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fox said:

According to this:  https://ppcprotect.com/adnauseam-extension-click-fraud/

 

Problem is (and plz correct me if I'm wrong), I think it piles up in your computer with thousands or more of tracking cookies to confuse the ad track sense.

 

I use Firefox with some strict cookie settings and have never seen this behavior with AdNauseam.  I used uBlock Origin prior to AN and liked it, but AN is better in my opinion.  If for no other reason than I have fewer compatibility issues with sites.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

I use Firefox with some strict cookie settings and have never seen this behavior with AdNauseam.  I used uBlock Origin prior to AN and liked it, but AN is better in my opinion.  If for no other reason than I have fewer compatibility issues with sites.

Would you be willing to run a Super AntiSpyware scan to see what comes up? It's a free well known / well respected scanner which removes spyware as well as adware like tracking cookies. While using adblock, only 1 tracking cookie from newegg.ca ever made it through to me and it would only ever come up maybe once a week since I visit there often. Given that I have no cookie restrictions enabled within Chrome, I'd say I'm doing pretty good even with an inferior adblock plugin. If AdNauseam does in fact work as you think it does, then you wouldn't have any tracking cookies at all. If that source website is right (or at least how I interpreted the info), you'd have a lot of them come up in the scan. I'm really curious to know the results because I would be willing to "stick it to the man" with a counter attack to all ads if there's no drawbacks to running AdNauseam over uBlock (resource consumption aside).

Edited by Fox (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Roland said:

The new forum UI is as much as surprise to me as to the rest of you. I detest changes such as these that mess with what you are used to seeing and doing and forcing you to relearn icons and locations to click in order to do what was always perfectly functional. I will look and see if there is an option to change the sidebar trigger to 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 posts.

Wait... They rolled out changes to the community UX without consulting the front line workers of said UX?

LIKE WTF?!?!?!?! I may not agree with the moderators all the time, but I mean it's their literal job in managing these forums. Don't make it hard for them.

(Because they might take it out on all of us, and no one likes that... although maybe Roland because he might be secretly a sadist ;) )

 

Edited by DaChibii (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Roland said:

I also mentioned the backer badge.

 

Can you point me to an example of deleted comments and posts that you are certain happened? That should not have occurred so I'd like to investigate.

 

Yeah, I have some comments I made in the Dev Diary on November 26th that for some reason they appear in my user profile, but upon clicking on them they're nowhere to be found.

 

9 hours ago, Fox said:

Snip for space

 

9 hours ago, Maharin said:

Snip for space

 

Interesting, though I've never had any problems with adblock. Never seen undeleted skip buttons or ads in any page.

 

I think all I really wish that ad blockers could do in general is prevent websites from detecting you have adblock installed. That would be heaven.

Edited by Xtrakicking (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Yeah, I have some comments I made in the Dev Diary on November 26th that for some reason they appear in my user profile, but upon clicking on them they're nowhere to be found.


They were moved to the diary discussions thread in general. I don’t know why the link is broken from your profile but the actual posts are not deleted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fox said:

Would you be willing to run a Super AntiSpyware scan to see what comes up? It's a free well known / well respected scanner which removes spyware as well as adware like tracking cookies. While using adblock, only 1 tracking cookie from newegg.ca ever made it through to me and it would only ever come up maybe once a week since I visit there often. Given that I have no cookie restrictions enabled within Chrome, I'd say I'm doing pretty good even with an inferior adblock plugin. If AdNauseam does in fact work as you think it does, then you wouldn't have any tracking cookies at all. If that source website is right (or at least how I interpreted the info), you'd have a lot of them come up in the scan. I'm really curious to know the results because I would be willing to "stick it to the man" with a counter attack to all ads if there's no drawbacks to running AdNauseam over uBlock (resource consumption aside).

 

I'm also on Linux, not Windows, so that won't work as expected for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Data said:

no side bar here, adblock plus

 

or is it a setting that i havent seen and dont need on the forum, no matter for me, i dont see it

 

 

Might be tied to the amount of interaction in a thread, i.e. post count.

The following thread has a sidebar for me, does it for you?

Developer Diary Discussions - General Discussion - 7 Days to Die

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick update on adblocks since it's been discussed a lot here:

 

Been running uBlock for 4 days now and 13 tracking cookies were found on my computer (which never happens). Given my experience so far, uBlock is clearly not better than AdBlock, it just does a few things differently. Some features are better and some are worse. Maybe having both enabled means that one will catch what the other misses and vice versa. I'm used to using 2 adblocks at the same time anyways, so I'm ok with using both once again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fox said:

Just a quick update on adblocks since it's been discussed a lot here:

 

Been running uBlock for 4 days now and 13 tracking cookies were found on my computer (which never happens). Given my experience so far, uBlock is clearly not better than AdBlock, it just does a few things differently. Some features are better and some are worse. Maybe having both enabled means that one will catch what the other misses and vice versa. I'm used to using 2 adblocks at the same time anyways, so I'm ok with using both once again.

 

If you're really paranoid, you can also use NoScript (but Chrome doesn't really like it, so you may have to change browsers).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Maharin said:

 

If you're really paranoid, you can also use NoScript (but Chrome doesn't really like it, so you may have to change browsers).

Even better is to buy/setup a Raspberry Pi to act as a PiHoe to filter all DNS traffic on your network and send all requests for known advertisers to a black hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danidas said:

Even better is to buy/setup a Raspberry Pi to act as a PiHoe to filter all DNS traffic on your network and send all requests for known advertisers to a black hole.

 

This is the correct answer, though "PiHoe" is the one you have to pay fifty bucks for. PiHole is free. 😉

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2020 at 5:47 PM, Roland said:

The new forum UI is as much as surprise to me as to the rest of you. I detest changes such as these that mess with what you are used to seeing and doing and forcing you to relearn icons and locations to click in order to do what was always perfectly functional. I will look and see if there is an option to change the sidebar trigger to 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 posts.

 

Set it in the 1,000 to 10,000 post range.  Then it'll only potentially affect the Dev Diaries, and maybe people won't be so eager to spam them with nonsense. :evil:

 

Also, could we go back to square avatars instead of cropping off pixels to make them circles?

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Crater Creator said:

 

Set it in the 1,000 to 10,000 post range.  Then it'll only potentially affect the Dev Diaries, and maybe people won't be so eager to spam them with nonsense. :evil:

I can't adjust any settings for the sidebar. I have a request posted to @Brains and am just waiting for him to get back to me. In the meantime, I added Adblocker and tried it out and it is pretty cool. Thanks to all the influencers around here! :)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brave Browser. Done.

Made by the former Firefox CEO.

Based on Chromium 

Has a built in ad blocker based on the Ublock Origin and Ghostery algorithms.

no need for plugin after plugin. 

You can still add them if you want for any filter they may have missed, but generally really isn't needed.

For me: Is faster then Fire fox or Chrome.

 

Edit: Never even knew there was that sidebar eyesore.   

Edited by Tin (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...