The new sidebar is awful

TSBX

If it must stay, please make it an option. Most people just want to read the topic at hand, and don't care about who the top posters are or what their post counts are and all that jazz. We like the forums. If we wanted to look at Reddit, we'd go to Reddit. Thanks.

What he said...

2 minutes ago, TSBX said:

If it must stay, please make it an option. Most people just want to read the topic at hand, and don't care about who the top posters are or what their post counts are and all that jazz. We like the forums. If we wanted to look at Reddit, we'd go to Reddit. Thanks.

What he said...

1 minute ago, Maharin said:

I don't see any sidebar.  ???

I didn't see it either when I first heard....then few minutes later KAZAM, there it was

15 minutes ago, Fox said:

I don't see a sidebar.

EDIT: nvm... ugh... gross.

RE-EDIT:  I used adblock to block it completely. Now it just looks like any other topic. ❤️ adblock ❤️ 

I'd highly recommend AdNauseam over AdBlock.  And that's probably why I'm not seeing it at all.

I use Ublock Origin which is usually top notch when it comes to this kind of thing, but I doubt many people care about the info that sidebad "adds" to a thread. As such it should be an opt-in option if it has to be a permanent fixture.

Not a fan of it as well along with the forum redesign.

As for blocking ads the best is setting up a PiHole to filter all the ads out at the DNS level before they even reach your browser. Which has the added bonus of fooling websites into thinking the ad loaded despite it no longer appearing on the site due to being chucked into a black hole.

The new forum UI is as much as surprise to me as to the rest of you. I detest changes such as these that mess with what you are used to seeing and doing and forcing you to relearn icons and locations to click in order to do what was always perfectly functional. I will look and see if there is an option to change the sidebar trigger to 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 posts.

I agree with the OP. While there is better device handling in this update, the side bar is a bad move. Make it hidden by default. Do not reinvent the wheel. Any additional UI content should be hidden and optional. Follow the golden rule : MISS. Make It Simple  and... Salty?.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

I'd highly recommend AdNauseam over AdBlock.  And that's probably why I'm not seeing it at all.

Adblock is basically the God I worship. What would you say AdNauseam does better than adblock?

In regards with the new unnecessary forum makeover, I don't like it. Also, as little of an inconvenience it is, I've also noticed that the kickstarter badges have gone poof.

Edit: Also, I see that yet again the forum change has also deleted some comments and posts. Not annoying at all.

19 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Adblock is basically the God I worship. What would you say AdNauseam does better than adblock?

In regards with the new unnecessary forum makeover, I don't like it. Also, as little of an inconvenience it is, I've also noticed that the kickstarter badges have gone poof.

Edit: Also, I see that yet again the forum change has also deleted some comments and posts. Not annoying at all.

I also mentioned the backer badge.

Can you point me to an example of deleted comments and posts that you are certain happened? That should not have occurred so I'd like to investigate.

20 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

I've also noticed that the kickstarter badges have gone poof.

Yo, wtf? Not cool at all.

1 minute ago, SylenThunder said:

Also if you set the forum to fluid width, and flip the sidebar so it's on the right, it's not as offensive.

I like the fluid width. I'm surprised it wasn't a feature for all websites 10 years ago.

• Roland locked this topic

Archived