Detonate “bombs” after map generation, before game start

doughphunghus

I think it would be neat to have an option in random gen maps that would randomly “explode” random bombs on the map after the map is generated. Purpose: damage land and POIs. The explosions could be several large ones, and possibly a lot of smaller ones (hopefully to damage a lot of POIs just a little).  Where the holes are, add radiation and burnt forest/wasteland  in the large ones, water or burnt forest or nothing in the small ones, etc. 

the whole point would be to add more “randomness” tot he map and also so POIs are sometimes just damaged or completely blown away. Make looting/digging through debris more interesting, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 11:52 PM, doughphunghus said:

the whole point would be to add more “randomness” tot he map and also so POIs are sometimes just damaged or completely blown away.

That would cause A LOT of recaluculations just on structural integrity.

To give you hint what i mean with "a lot": Blowing up the basement of a skyscraper what led to the whole skyscraper was collapsing, the process of collapsing just for this single skyscraper took about 40 minutes with 100% CPU usage on my Ryzen 2700X (8 cores/16 threads).

People are complaining about RWG takes too long.... well, this would make the process even much much longer.

I would love for POI's to have a random damage pass to make things more fluid and interesting.

RE: calculations, yeah it would probably add to the RWG time to generate, but it should be substantially less than what you describe as many of the in-game calculations wouldn't run at the time of generation, IE., spawning, AI, etc. Those are the CPU heavy ones, AFAIK.

4 hours ago, ghnaf said:

I like this idea, because you have it "stolen" from me 😛 kind of.

Ha! I might have? I’ve been messing around with POi creation (well, modifying existing POIs) to try to find a good method to make changes that’s quicker than building from scratch, to get more of that “randomness” feel so when you find a POI you cannot be sure what you’re going to face. It got me thinking of “easy” (meaning no work on my part :) )ways to make the maps more varied and interesting.  And it’s fun when things blow up in the game!

so far the only thing that is likely to work (in my opinion) is having a bot join your game. Then, (maybe just like an invisible admin running commands, spawning in things, etc) it can cause natural disasters.  The zombiome mod has some claims for this , but I haven’t tried it yet as I’m not on windows :(  I think having a nuclear option (anywhere) to add “new” radiation damage to the map would be cool.  My dream? Is to have things slowly and loudly and majestically fall out of the sky at/near you while you play. Big things, that cause big damage. Planes, meteors, tornados, tsunami. etc. to give the game a feel of “the disaster is still actively happening” vs now it’s “you survived and this is the aftermath”. I doubt ill learn to modding enough to do it myself :(, or if the game could handle a live tsunami.

it would also be kinda cool if a bot drove cars around and wrecked at/on your base. Like someone died/changed while driving.

16 hours ago, TSBX said:

RE: calculations, yeah it would probably add to the RWG time to generate, but it should be substantially less than what you describe as many of the in-game calculations wouldn't run at the time of generation, IE., spawning, AI, etc. Those are the CPU heavy ones, AFAIK.

It is not less, it is exactly "as much" as i said. SI is also not calculated during RWG, that's why there could be POIs with invalid SI that only collapse once you approach them, because THEN SI recalculation is triggered. Because doing SI recalculation especially just for a safety check is WAY TOO HEAVY.

Well, yeah the calculation for SI would need to run at RWG or in the initial loading screen, I'm not arguing that.

I'm just saying that calculating it outside of a game would reduce the CPU overhead in this hypothetical system.

It's a moot point anyhow, as I don't foresee this feature ever seeing the light of day.

This would be a lovely way to leverage the 100% destructible world that's already built into the game.  I see the greatest benefit in POIs.  Specifically, instead of world builders making a dozen iterations of bombed out buildings for the wasteland biome, they can make a few template 'bombable' buildings and have the engine blow them up procedurally, in a simulated way that's more performant than actually doing it in real time with effects etc.  Then the building remnants wouldn't fall into such recognizable patterns.

If we can get bandits with rocket launchers or similar explosives, that'd be another way to start getting major unpredictable damage on POIs.  There could even be a quest type to bring down a POI by destroying x number of blocks.  These could both be limited to POIs that are set up for major destruction.  That is, the skyscrapers are never chosen for these bandit squatter or demolition missions.

Archived