Complaints about this game

Mastermind

@Kandrathe I am not asking for more screamers. I know how to get those easily if i want. i want more zombies wandering around.

We did an oopsie last horde night and our base took some serious damage, we survived tough. Spent 24 ingame hours to repair it, 200m away from a small town. I didn´t see a single zombie the whole time. I was actually checking the settings if the other admin turned off zombies while i was offline...

You shouldn´t be able to spend 24hours in one place not seeing a single enemy. There is no excuse for that.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

12 hours ago, alanea said:

butif as you say  "this game sucks in everything"  why are you even playing it or writing on forum :D

Because

On 11/18/2020 at 10:55 PM, Mastermind said:

The mix, however, is... dare I say, decent, or at the very least, on a decent path

Before commenting on a post, you should actually read it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:32 PM, meganoth said:

If you really succeeded at corridor bases in A16 you got my admiration for sure. But how? In A16 they still simply ran directly at you, just like A15.

It was a lot of work.  You had to dig a trench to bedrock all the way around your base, then line the edges of it several blocks deep with something to slow the zombies down (barbed wire, or, my preference, water) because otherwise they'd run off the edge before figuring out it was an edge.  You also needed to have corridors in at least the 4 cardinal directions, since they wouldn't path all the way around.  There were still a few that would fling themselves into the depths, but the vast majority of them would cross the bridges you built into your base.

Here's one of my bases from A16 (it wasn't finished at this point.)

Alpha_16.4_2018-11-19_01-55-20.jpg.10dced7f4f55acecda402e92f226e00d.jpg

The trench was made by splitting it up into 3X5 sections (since the trench was 5 wide) and then undercutting it.  My first attempt to do this was me cutting out a 51 X 51 section and then undercutting it, and it didn't collapse at all...that was really annoying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

It was a lot of work.  You had to dig a trench to bedrock all the way around your base, then line the edges of it several blocks deep with something to slow the zombies down (barbed wire, or, my preference, water) because otherwise they'd run off the edge before figuring out it was an edge.  You also needed to have corridors in at least the 4 cardinal directions, since they wouldn't path all the way around.  There were still a few that would fling themselves into the depths, but the vast majority of them would cross the bridges you built into your base.

The trench was made by splitting it up into 3X5 sections (since the trench was 5 wide) and then undercutting it.  My first attempt to do this was me cutting out a 51 X 51 section and then undercutting it, and it didn't collapse at all...that was really annoying.

Luckily those times are over, 2 weeks ago I undercut a ~40x40 block down to bedrock and it cleanly collapsed

Interesting and mostly valid complaints, IF the lore/storyline conflicts with what people are concerned about.

As we dont know 90% of the storyline or lore, many complaints are merely signals that lore and storyline are needed. 

TFP still appear to be into the "Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" method.  A somewhat waste of effort and money, but as they seem very determined to make 7D2D a finished product, I'm ok with it if they are. 

Even one story writer, working with TFP's vision of the game, could have the backstory and all the lore completed.

Leaving the players satisfied that they are the ones making the story from there, if TFP don't want a storyline past Day 1. 

Edited by Aldranon
grammer (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 8:22 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

And when you complain on here that all these mods don´t work properly together we will get a snarky answer that this is our own fault for using mods.

Not when you post in the correct place. Plenty of helpful people in the Modding section...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Kandrathe I am not asking for more screamers. I know how to get those easily if i want. i want more zombies wandering around.

We did an oopsie last horde night and our base took some serious damage, we survived tough. Spent 24 ingame hours to repair it, 200m away from a small town. I didn´t see a single zombie the whole time. I was actually checking the settings if the other admin turned off zombies while i was offline...

You shouldn´t be able to spend 24hours in one place not seeing a single enemy. There is no excuse for that.

Yeah, I believe you.  It just never happens to me on my maps.  No matter where I go, they never just let me dig ore, or repair the base, or fix the roads.  That is in forest,   I end up building an array of pill boxes with 360 degree turret coverage around my mining zones to keep the zombies from digging down to get me.  I got sick of filling in their holes, or running up from the mine to fend off an attack every 5 minutes.  When we drive around the map we are seeing zombies all the time, and always swerve to see if we can get one to ragdoll.  What you are saying doesn't happen in my playing on A19.

Snow is 2-3x worse.  Desert is about the same except more vultures, which I reduced in XML by 50% otherwise we suffered vulture attacks every 5 min. and anytime we drive.  We won't talk about the wastelands, because after an actual 2 hour, use all your ammo, non-stop attack, we decided it was not worth the trouble going there.  Net loss of resources.

So, I seem to have the opposite trouble. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Thats goddamm impressive! I figure it could work even today too assuming the suiciders are picked out at the bottom?

39 minutes ago, Kandrathe said:

When we drive around the map we are seeing zombies all the time, and always swerve to see if we can get one to ragdoll.  What you are saying doesn't happen in my playing on A19.

When driving around, i see Zs occasionally. But i wouldn't call that frequent.

39 minutes ago, Kandrathe said:

So, I seem to have the opposite trouble. 

I have very different experiences with A19. I have mines in the town, where almost nothing spawns. I have a  build project near a big lake with open environment on a peninsula where i have spawns every 5 minutes.

I guess it has something to do with where Zs can spawn and how free they can move. In a city there are lots of obstacles that limit movement of Zs.

On my peninsula, there is a lot of water, so very limited space where Zs can even spawn. And if some spawn, they either walk away or can just walk to the peninsula. So they will find me more likely.

Also interesting, inside the lake there are two spots where small ground elevates little over the water. Both are only like 2x3 blocks just above water surface. Almost every time i come there is a Z on one of those or even both. So obviously they do spawn there, but they can't move very much, since afaik Zs avoid water (if not triggered). At least they always stay on their little insula (until i shot at them).

• Like 1

@bdubyah I am talking about TFP staff and mods.

@Kandrathe Snow has a ton of bears, wolves and cougars for me too. Zombies are also rare. Vultures in the desert are in between, semi rare. Wasteland is the only biome where it is a bit better with the zombie spawns. But the wastelands aren´t the place where i wanna live. Ugly and depressing. Also a nightmare to drive due to all the junk.

15 hours ago, meganoth said:

Luckily those times are over, 2 weeks ago I undercut a ~40x40 block down to bedrock and it cleanly collapsed

Not quite over yet. I dropped a fire station and had to go up and clean up bits hanging in the sky. matter of fact you can still go see it on video as I left the "fire" sign up there hanging cleanly in the sky unsupported.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

Not quite over yet. I dropped a fire station and had to go up and clean up bits hanging in the sky. matter of fact you can still go see it on video as I left the "fire" sign up there hanging cleanly in the sky unsupported.

Ok. Is your PC (or server) more on the performant side or more potatoish ?

10 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@bdubyah I am talking about TFP staff and mods.

The only time staff gives anyone trouble for running mods is when they post wanting help in the support forum or posting bugs in the official bug report section. 

Otherwise we don’t mind if they mod their game. Madmole has directed people to mod their game if they want it to be different than the TFP version. I mod my game when I want to try something different. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, meganoth said:

Ok. Is your PC (or server) more on the performant side or more potatoish ?

nah it happens kinda rarely ..it used to be far more common in A16 but you can still  see it

potatoish .. depends the only time when game really struggled with perfomance was colapsing dishong tower with gas barrels

those flying blocks  happen randomly .. when some part of building just refuse to fall ... but if you lets say split  40  flying blocks into  3 parts they will all fall .. as if SI failed and blocks somehow supported each other in air or just whole stability check .. stopped

- its probably not connected to perfomance as it can happen even with very small poi (1 floor house with flying chimney)

its just like those invisible poi blocks  .. sometimes theres place around poi where you cant put anything (usually  1x1 spot 2-3high)

2 minutes ago, alanea said:

- its probably not connected to perfomance as it can happen even with very small poi (1 floor house with flying chimney)

Well, some of the blocks in POIs aren't supported as they are; you'll have a part of a window collapse on you when stepped on etc.. wouldn't be surprised if those blocks weren't re-checked for stability when the nearby blocks fall, as they aren't really connected to the collapsing blocks to begin with.

14 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

definitely on the potato side of that equation/ Old slow I7 at 2.8 ghz, 16 gig ram but slow DDR3, GTS 1050TI GPU

To see which theory is right, I could try to collapse the same firestation as you have. Since there are two, which one was it?

If I then see no blocks hanging, it might have something to do with CPU speed as my server seems performant enough for collapses. If always the same blocks are left hanging, theFlu is likely right. And if different blocks are left hanging, alanea is right.

On 11/19/2020 at 3:31 AM, Liesel Weppen said:

Complaints are always loud. And complaining people often pretend everything is going down the hill. But it is not that way, just because some people say so.

It's a mix. That's the point. If you look for just an RPG, 7d2d might still be the wrong game for you, even if it has RPG elements.

So you prefer the survival aspect, and that's why you want to push it further, right? But it is a MIX. If you want hardcore survival, 7d2d is the wrong game for you.

But in this case, there is a solution already built-in: Simply turn off bloodmoons.

For addtional harder survival: Set loot to 50%, loot respawn to never, zombie strength to 200%, ... and that are just base settings the game allows you to vary.

You can even make it better suit your preferences with using mods.

I also often turn off bloodmoon, because i don't like tower defense that much. I also sometimes lower the difficulty because i want to focus on building. I use a mod that makes you lvl12 instant after the starter quest, because the stone age is too boring for me. So i skip it, right to the point where i can find iron stuff.

Everything that does "active development with the community". Other early access titles have a fixed plan they just follow. But 7d2d is actually more like experimenting what works and what not, trying if solutions do work or maybe not and so on.

There are also backers complaining that the game becomes more and more what it was NOT meant to be.... they perhaps even are right, from what they expected. But even if it does, this changes will attract other people, that probably disliked what it was meant to be previously.

This is a very good information you made that is helpful for my game. 

19 hours ago, theFlu said:

Well, some of the blocks in POIs aren't supported as they are; you'll have a part of a window collapse on you when stepped on etc.. wouldn't be surprised if those blocks weren't re-checked for stability when the nearby blocks fall, as they aren't really connected to the collapsing blocks to begin with.

well .. maybe    or whole SI checking mechanism sometimes stop working on some blocks .. and start working when SI change by destroying nearby block by pickaxe .. anyway its quite rare issue and not rly significant

14 hours ago, Candy Sanchez said:

This is a very good information you made that is helpful for my game. 

also make zombie atleast jogging .. they will still be very slow compared to you(even run is slower than player) .. but  it makes game alot more ... action base  when you know zombie from next room/floor can reach you ... before you die from hunger

18 hours ago, meganoth said:

To see which theory is right, I could try to collapse the same firestation as you have. Since there are two, which one was it?

If I then see no blocks hanging, it might have something to do with CPU speed as my server seems performant enough for collapses. If always the same blocks are left hanging, theFlu is likely right. And if different blocks are left hanging, alanea is right.

its not always same block .. its random  if you collapse same poi multiple times you wont see any leftovers most time but sometimes it happens but yeah maybe it happens when game perform something else like cleaning ram or saving in that specific moment .. who knows

19 hours ago, theFlu said:

never seen flying windows cant say i checked windows .. but yeah some blocks like drapes/some windows have very unusual SI   ..  but correct me if iam wrong .. doesnt player add some weight by steping on blocks? maybe are those blocks made just so extremely unstable rather than exception

1 minute ago, alanea said:

well .. maybe    or whole SI checking mechanism sometimes stop working on some blocks .. and start working when SI change by destroying nearby block by pickaxe .. anyway its quite rare issue and not rly significant

its not always same block .. its random  if you collapse same poi multiple times you wont see any leftovers most time but sometimes it happens but yeah maybe it happens when game perform something else like cleaning ram or saving in that specific moment .. who knows

never seen flying windows cant say i checked windows .. but yeah some blocks like drapes/some windows have very unusual SI   ..  but correct me if iam wrong .. doesnt player add some weight by steping on blocks? maybe are those blocks made just so extremely unstable rather than exception

I got double quoted, so I guess I have to reply ... :)

- I'm not saying that those unattached blocks would in any way be the only reason for floaters, but, they could be one. The SI is indeed still a little wonky - a lot better than before, but not flawless.

- about player weight, I'm not sure if the player actually has weight now, as in, if a structure that is structurally sound on its own could be caused to collapse by adding a player. What I'm sure of, standing on things used to cause some stability checks at least, floating blocks could be collapsed by running on them. And it still does, as some of those unsupported blocks will collapse under you when stood upon.

The falling windows was on my mind as I remember collapsing one on myself twice in a row; it was a window frame, not exactly a window; one of those new metal strips, I think the POI was a trailer, but not sure anymore. I remember some chimney being made of plates, not attached to any block in the center; possibly a missing loot container in that case..

23 hours ago, meganoth said:

Collpased that firestation as well and the pictures speak for themselves.

But for people who haven't seen JCrooks video, the same slanted bean slightly to the right in the picture was left hanging in the air in his video too (minute 13:07). In my game the text "fire station" also survived, it seems connected to the beam. (The little tower in the center of the picture has no unattached parts by the way, it has SI according to the rules)

This makes theFlu's theory the most likely explanation, at least for the fire station.

A19.2_2020-11-27_00-30-07.thumb.jpg.e568759a5785e31f54de4e1070befd61.jpg

A19.2_2020-11-27_00-29-07.thumb.jpg.8278df5e285851f5a62f6469ab463ec3.jpg

@JCrook1028: In your video that beam is the only unexplainably unattached block. That the station did not collapse earlier was probably because of the special case of indestructible vending machines having possibly indestructible halos around them which provide SI. 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hah... how's this for serendipity; I happened to have my current camp literally across the road of that firestation POI.. next to the trader, so this thread didn't influence the pick I don't think.

Anyhoo... since it was that simple, I went and climbed on that sign, while the station is otherwise intact. Lo and behold, there's a few scrap iron piles underneath now. As in, the letters aren't supported to begin with :)

35 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

"FIRE" is still hanging up there to this day, with nothing else up there. It's in every horde video I do and several others as well. I love it!

Interesting. In your video (13:07 again) there were still pillars that touched lightly on the "Fire" word.