Computer doing hard shut-off randomly during play

arquebus

2 hours ago, arquebus said:

20 years since I did any computer repair

Take a couple of pictures of the original wiring layout with your cell phone. It will

be a handy reference when you're installing the new one.

Then you have a guide for getting all the things hooked back up.

Another way is to mark each wire group with tape as you remove them.

4 hours ago, arquebus said:

so this is going to be interesting.

Basically it's far less interesting since then, as nowadays there is no connector that fits into a wrong socket.

You can't put a connector into a wrong socket, except using a hammer. And if a connection is missing, it simply won't boot.

So in the end you could even do it with trail and error about what connector fits into what socket, without even reading the manual.

3 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Basically it's far less interesting since then, as nowadays there is no connector that fits into a wrong socket.

Well for power supplies specifically, it is definitely more interesting now, since I mainly used to do repairs at a Mac shop in the 90s, and all of them had power supplies that plugged into the motherboard and nowhere else. I get why PCs don't - they can't assume full knowledge of what's going to be installed - but it sure would be nice if they didn't have to spaghetti everywhere.

some psu like corsairs have sockets on the psu that you connect only the wires you need, for 2 reasons, 1: less wires, 2: if you have to replace your psu you only need to replace the main block psu, and then reconnect wires, saves a lot of time and hassle

On 11/23/2020 at 10:04 AM, Data said:

some psu like corsairs have sockets on the psu that you connect only the wires you need, for 2 reasons, 1: less wires, 2: if you have to replace your psu you only need to replace the main block psu, and then reconnect wires, saves a lot of time and hassle

Modular PSUs are great unless they use proprietary connectors on PSU side))

And nobody yet removed cable management from "daily"))

BTW: How did it go with changing the PSU? What did you buy?

26 minutes ago, Vampirenostra said:

Afaik every modular PSU shipes with every cable that is connectable to it.

Modular PSUs are thought to not have unnecessary cables inside your case, not to switch between different brands of PSUs easily.

Of course it would be even better if all connectors (also on PSU-side) would be of a standard.

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

And nobody yet removed cable management from "daily"))

BTW: How did it go with changing the PSU? What did you buy?

i got an 850w with 35amps availaible on the 12v rails

1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

@arquebusWhat happened? I must know if the new power supply fixed your problem! The suspence is killing me.

I got some bad news for you.....I can’t speak about, just show you a clip from a witness

The power supply was just too much for it.......

And this is my one a day bad dad joke😀

Thank you and good night everyone!!

8FBB5B11-EBF5-431A-A635-9B6B64F31590.gif

So I haven't replaced the PSU yet, it's still sitting in its box. I offloaded the 7 Days server to my laptop and turned down my settings a bit in the game, and I haven't had a shutdown since then. I plan to replace the PSU next week when I have a day to tinker.

Archived