Is there a point to snowberries?

Maharin

No point beyond a emergency food item that may or may not save your characters life which are most common in Snow biomes. If you get in the habit of collecting them when ever you see them it can add up to something wroth wild. But really have no real point since more often then not it ends up costing you more food to collect them then you get from them.

43 minutes ago, Fox said:

Ya, I wish they would just get rid of them completely

Nooo! They are my early "endure a little longer" food. They are not much, but they help a little.

Once you have been advanced, just ignore them, but no reason to remove them.

I've also seen people in streams almost starving and still just walking by snowberries and don't use them. (And then still complain about there is no food *doh*).

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Nooo! They are my early "endure a little longer" food. They are not much, but they help a little.

Once you have been advanced, just ignore them, but no reason to remove them.

I've also seen people in streams almost starving and still just walking by snowberries and don't use them. (And then still complain about there is no food *doh*).

You missed the "and" part. I said replace the snowberries with blueberries which are basically the same thing but have recipes (aka much more useful)

I never knew the penalty was removed from eating too many of them. I've always simply ignored them other than dropping them from my inventory whenever I accidentally harvest one. I agree with Fox. Replace them with blueberry bushes. Make the snow biome great again!

I like snowberries but they are really pointless.  I think the devs should either make some cooking recipes that require them or just remove them from the game.  Back when they were needed for the snowberry smoothie or whatever it was they were great but currently not so much.  

No way I would advocate for reduced variety by replacing them with existing blueberries, unless it led to more variety elsewhere like, say, additional textures for terrain or zombie skins.  If they need changing, replace them with a different crop that's more familiar to players and opens up new kinds of recipes, like tomatoes or peanuts.

You'd be surprised how many snowberries there are in the forest biome, I manage to get over a stack while also eating them occasionally when I'm runing from point A to point B. (that's with harvesting 1 per crop)

In my hardcore mod, I added snowberry farming since the seed and growing blocks exist already but aren't used by the devs.

The only thing I'd change would be to halve the time it takes to eat them.

13 minutes ago, Maharin said:

If they just made them one food and one water it would be worth keeping a stack around for long runs.

With the amount of drinks there are in loot, keeping yourself hydrated isn't even an issue. A full stack of snowberries will keep you fed for the day, unless you take a beating and/or do hard labour like mining.

They're fantastic early game when you're on foot and your food supply isn't stable yet. It's pretty easy to gather 20-30 as you're running around without even deviating your path to actively hunt them. That may not seem like much but early game that's significant food wise. After early game, yea, useless. I'd like to see them be given a recipe and able to be farmed.

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

They're fantastic early game when you're on foot and your food supply isn't stable yet. It's pretty easy to gather 20-30 as you're running around without even deviating your path to actively hunt them. That may not seem like much but early game that's significant food wise. After early game, yea, useless. I'd like to see them be given a recipe and able to be farmed.

Spoiler

Recipes.xml  (add new)

<recipe name="foodSnowberryCocktail" count="1" craft_area="campfire"> craft_time="10">
    <ingredient name="resourceCropSnowberryPlant" count="10"/>
    <ingredient name="drinkJarEmpty" count="1"/>
</recipe>

<recipe name="plantedSnowberry1" count="1" craft_time="3" craft_exp_gain="0">
    <ingredient name="resourceCropSnowberryPlant" count="5"/>
</recipe>

Items.xml  (add new)

<item name="foodSnowberryCocktail">
    <property name="Extends" value="foodGrilledMeat"/>
    <property name="DisplayType" value="foodRaw"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="drinkJarYuccaCocktail"/> <property name="CustomIconTint" value="ffffaf"/>
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="5"/>
    <property name="EconomicBundleSize" value="5"/>
    <property name="CraftingIngredientTime" value="10"/>
    <property class="Action0">
        <property name="Delay" value="1.5"/>
        <property name="Create_item" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>
    </property>
    <property name="Group" value="Food/Cooking,CFFood/Cooking,Science"/>
    <effect_group tiered="false">
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="$foodAmountAdd" operation="add" value="10"/>
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="AddBuff" buff="buffProcessConsumables"/>
    </effect_group>
</item>

Blocks.xml   (overwrite existing)

<block name="plantedSnowberry1">
    <property name="Extends" value="cropsGrowingMaster" param1="CustomIcon"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Dev"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkLivingOffTheLand"/>
    <property name="Texture" value="350"/>
    <property name="PlantGrowing.FertileLevel" value="1"/>
    <property name="PlantGrowing.Next" value="plantedSnowberry2"/>
    <property name="Group" value="Food/Cooking"/>
    <drop event="Destroy" name="plantedSnowberry1" count="1"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="plantedSnowberry3Harvest"/>
</block>

<block name="plantedSnowberry2">
    <property name="Extends" value="plantedSnowberry1"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="plantedSnowberry3Harvest"/>
    <property name="Texture" value="369"/>
    <property name="PlantGrowing.Next" value="plantedSnowberry3HarvestPlayer"/>
    <drop event="Destroy" name="plantedSnowberry1" count="1"/>
</block>

<block name="plantedSnowberry3Harvest">
    <property name="Extends" value="cropsHarvestableMaster"/>
    <property name="Texture" value="568"/>
    <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceCropSnowberryPlant" count="1" tag="wildCropsHarvest"/>
</block>

<block name="plantedSnowberry3HarvestPlayer">
    <property name="Extends" value="plantedSnowberry3Harvest"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="plantedSnowberry3HarvestDesc"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="plantedSnowberry1"/>
    <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceCropSnowberryPlant" count="1" tag="cropHarvest"/>
    <property name="DowngradeBlock" value="plantedSnowberry1"/>
</block>

This might be a radical idea.... but hear me out.

Stacks of Snowberries that are consumable. It can be unlocked at the start or locked behind Living off the Land 1. But the whole idea is make eating Snowberries not a chore (just the collection of them, which I think is fair).

Archived