Jump to content

Fix the RNG. Almost want to quit game it's that bad


Recommended Posts

I want to note the extreme irony that in a 3rd playthrough I got 2 hammers from loot bags. 

 

In fact I'm getting a LOT of loot now.

 

Leading me to wonder if there is a *BUG* with loot progression, particularly zombie loot bags.

 

Possibly with 0 deaths.

 

Because that would make sense if somehow loot is calculated using deaths as a denominator to some difficulty weight?

 

Because I got NOTHING like the loot last night from my *perfect game* at 0 deaths. I got complete trash and thought holy hell...they made insane really hard and grindy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren't willing to go looting in houses I think I discovered the reason why you are having such a tough time finding duct tape.  Also if the trader having a working forge ruins your game a good solution to that problem would be to just, I don't know, not use it.  

RNGesus can either bless you with everything you could ever want or curse you to never find what you are looking for.  I'm on day 164 and still haven't found a quality 6 Steel Pick or Steel Leggings.  I'm not yelling at the devs to fix their system.  I just keep looting and one day I know that I'll eventually find them.  It's just how RNG works.  Maybe if I get really desperate I will start making sacrifices in the name of RNGesus and hopefully I will get his blessing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

TC, uninstall the game. You obviously have no idea on how to play it properly.

 

The flexibility in the settings, allowed by the Pimps, can offer tremendous possibilities for various playstyles but scavenging, loot runs and raiding specific POIs for specific parts and items is part of the core game design of 7DtD. If you cant wrap your head around this and screw yourself up in the process, dont blame the developers.

 

Your rant is so ridiculous, i thought you were trolling.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you playing nightmare/insane/permadeath if you don't enjoy the early game struggle to get set up? That's an honest question. That's how I play the game and I love the struggle early game. I can't imagine why you'd play with that ruleset otherwise.

 

You have to come up with more inventive ways of doing things. Sometimes early on I'll have trouble finding a wrench to make a workbench. So I end up busting into kitchens from the outside wall just to get into sinks to try to find a wrench. Or I'll clear POIs that I know are full of sinks. Or I'll search out POIs that I know have workbenchs to see if they're destroyed or not.

 

And how have you not gotten tons of bones already on horde every night with dogs and vultures? I know some despawn but surely you have gotten some, right? Cook them on a campfire with a cooking pot.

 

And if you're saying you struggle so badly you cannot obtain cooking pots or duct tape or glue or bones then the only solution for you is to turn the difficulty down until you get better at the game or until you learn POIs betters so you can search out the specific loot containers that you need to progress.

 

Regardless of all of that, traders almost always have glue for sale and usually duct tape as well. Look for barn POIs to get the gore blocks outside them for bones or walk down the road and harvest the ones you come across. Or just loot containers outside POIs and trash containers in the outdoors until you get what you need.

Edited by uselessjunkaccount (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I'm feeding a troll or not tbh.

 

As other have said, you don't need a chemistry station to make glue, it's just more efficient. A single trader quest on day 1 to dig up some food and fight a few zombies or run away from them, will give you some dukes to buy glue if you have to. And if a working station in a trader poi us ruining your experience ........ don't use it.

Edited by Fenris (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IDNeon said:

I want to note the extreme irony that in a 3rd playthrough I got 2 hammers from loot bags. 

That isn't irony

 

2 hours ago, IDNeon said:

In fact I'm getting a LOT of loot now.

That is RNG

 

2 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Leading me to wonder if there is a *BUG* with loot progression, particularly zombie loot bags.

 

Possibly with 0 deaths.

 

Because that would make sense if somehow loot is calculated using deaths as a denominator to some difficulty weight?

Number of deaths has absolutely nothing to do with loot.... with the sole exception of how it contributes to game stage

 

3 play throughs is a pretty small sample size.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IDNeon said:

It's insane-nightmare. Dunno. But the opportunity to just wander into a kitchen is much more difficult. Regardless.

 

The game shouldn't force you to have to enter POIs.

 

I got over 20 loot bags. Drop some F-ing duct tape

What? The game had pois so you CAN search.... which you need to do anyway to find the duct tape you refuse to craft.

 

The game also shouldn't take into account you playing above your level and be balanced based on that choice.

 

In essence you are saying I do horde every night but because I do I don't have time to waste in pois looking for a pot.

 

The solution is horde every night is a bit difficult so I'll do horde every other night. Not make this easier for me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2020 at 1:31 AM, IDNeon said:

Only to be given enough duct tape from a mailbox at lvl1 and a working forge.

Y'all full of it here, bro. Duct tape is only looted from loot groups "junk", "garbage", and "workbenchLoot". Here are the containers which have those groups:

 

Junk: cntTrashPile01, cntBin, cntBruteStyleTrashCanFull, cntTiltTruckFull, cntTiltTruckFullFlies, cntStorageGenericPOI, cntChest01, cntCoffin, cntCoffinWildWestClosed, cntCardboardBox, cntSuitcase, cntLuggageMediumClosed, cntBathTubGore, cntTrashCompactor, cntDumpster, cntDumpsterFlies, cntMorticianDrawer, cntGreenDrawer, cntUtilityCartFull. cntCar03SedanDamage0Master, cntCar03SedanDamage1Master, cntBusSchool

 

Garbage: metalSheetRandomHelper, woodSheetRandomHelper, cntTrash_can01, cntFancyGarbageCan, cntDomedTrashCanFull, carsRandomHelper

 

For what it's worth, you have at least a 3.8% chance to pull Duct Tape when searching any of those containers. Could be higher, depending on the container.

 

workbenchLoot: cntCollapsedWorkbench (3.94% chance of Duct Tape)
 

The cntMailbox container pulls from loot groups "booksAllScaled" and "resourcePaper", neither of which includes duct tape.

 

Use that Junk list up there to guide your search for duct tape. Note that none of the loot bags dropped by zombies include duct tape. Duct tape is 'junk'; the loot bags drop higher-value items. Here's a sneak peak for A20 though: EntityLootContainerBandit will drop junk occasionally, but only 0.38% chance of Duct Tape (assuming they don't change the loot tables).

 

 

 

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of RNG and loot bags, do loot bag drops seem less to anyone else in 19.2? On my most recent save, since the release of stable A19.2, with difficultly at warrior and number of zombies on horde night set 24. I've gotten a total of six loot bags for both night 7 and 14 horde nights. I killed plenty of them but the loot bags don't seem to dropping as much for me, is it just RNG. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really should not bother responding to a post that complains about RNG in a sample size of 20+ loot bags, but I guess I am dumb enough to take the bait. 

 

Go play a theme park game with pre-determined loot and gameplay path if you can't overcome the difficulties that RNG brings using the multiple methods that already exist in-game. Maybe sandbox RNG based games are not for you?

 

Personally, I like the RNG nature as it forces me to adapt and overcome when I can't find the thing I need.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 7:35 AM, Boidster said:

Y'all full of it here, bro. Duct tape is only looted from loot groups "junk", "garbage", and "workbenchLoot". Here are the containers which have those groups:

 

Junk: cntTrashPile01, cntBin, cntBruteStyleTrashCanFull, cntTiltTruckFull, cntTiltTruckFullFlies, cntStorageGenericPOI, cntChest01, cntCoffin, cntCoffinWildWestClosed, cntCardboardBox, cntSuitcase, cntLuggageMediumClosed, cntBathTubGore, cntTrashCompactor, cntDumpster, cntDumpsterFlies, cntMorticianDrawer, cntGreenDrawer, cntUtilityCartFull. cntCar03SedanDamage0Master, cntCar03SedanDamage1Master, cntBusSchool

 

Garbage: metalSheetRandomHelper, woodSheetRandomHelper, cntTrash_can01, cntFancyGarbageCan, cntDomedTrashCanFull, carsRandomHelper

 

For what it's worth, you have at least a 3.8% chance to pull Duct Tape when searching any of those containers. Could be higher, depending on the container.

 

workbenchLoot: cntCollapsedWorkbench (3.94% chance of Duct Tape)
 

The cntMailbox container pulls from loot groups "booksAllScaled" and "resourcePaper", neither of which includes duct tape.

 

Use that Junk list up there to guide your search for duct tape. Note that none of the loot bags dropped by zombies include duct tape. Duct tape is 'junk'; the loot bags drop higher-value items. Here's a sneak peak for A20 though: EntityLootContainerBandit will drop junk occasionally, but only 0.38% chance of Duct Tape (assuming they don't change the loot tables).

 

 

 

I don't know what item I got the duct tape from next playthrough, but it was at the STARTING location, where there's a house, mailbox, car, and some crap lying around the car. There's a few locations like that. Take it up with that.

And while it's fuzzy in my memory, it's possible I was given glue, and considered that duct-tape in my rant, because it's the same damned thing. 1:1 glue:duct-tape with some cloth which is easy to find.


But thanks for clarifying why that loot wasn't dropped by loot bags, but usually Duct Tape is discoverable at a trader, wasn't able to find them in two traders, even with restock set to 3 days.

Also, the random crap lying around that you pick through when travelling.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, Mig84 said:

Go play a theme park game with pre-determined loot and gameplay path if you can't overcome the difficulties that RNG brings using the multiple methods that already exist in-game. Maybe sandbox RNG based games are not for you?

I think you're a little confused.

7days FORCES you to do CERTAIN things to progress.


That's the opposite of a sandbox. ARK is still (sadly) king of Sandbox games, you can get to end game eating your own crap in that game if you play it right.

It literally has 1001 playstyles. 7 days, not so much, and has a VERY LINEAR progression tree, as was just further evidenced by Colony Founder.

It's still fun, but what I want is MORE FREEDOM to do MORE THINGS.

Not less, or have it be "easier".

In ARK I can pump-up my O2 attribute, swim hella fast, recharge stamina with a chair, and defeat people with a primitive bow and escape into the ocean where they CAN'T follow because they skilled-up .... strength and melee let's say.

 

Or I can pump-skills into running and outrun everyone and murder people/dinos from a parachute.

Can you do that in 7days?

No, because I need to get a forge and the paths to get it are limited and the same for everyone else.

 

Different games, different feels, etc., but I'm not in the wrong here. It's frustrating to have to do things a CERTAIN way. I'm used to having more latitude, not less.

Edited by IDNeon (see edit history)
  • Poop 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IDNeon said:

7days FORCES you to do CERTAIN things to progress.

Please list those forced activities. It could be a fun internet game for the readers to see if they can think up at least one alternate option for every action you claim is forced.

 

I believe that this game is still well within the parameters of Sandbox--even when playing the main default game. Of course, with the creative menu and godmode enabled that truly is the pure Sandbox mode of the game. But let's play DO THE DEVS FORCE US??!?!!?

 

Go. Give us the list. Do it.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IDNeon said:


It's still fun, but what I want is MORE FREEDOM to do MORE THINGS.

Not less, or have it be "easier".

 

This makes no sense - at least not coming from someone on your settings. The flaw is not in the argument. The argument is good...freedom is good in a sandbox game. More things = more engagement and more fun. The argument is good.

 

But it doesn't make a bit of sense playing on the most extreme settings the game has to offer without modding. You've CHOSEN the MOST RESTRICTIVE settings and complain about lack of freedom.

 

Why don't you do horde every other day instead of every day? That gives you DOUBLE THE FREEDOM! Why not step the difficulty one down from insane? I bet you'll suddenly feel way more free to loot high intensity locations like kitchens and toilets.

 

Better still, play on default settings and THEN judge the freedom of activity in the game. The reality is, we're free as birds, the game just doesn't have that much content yet. If you want to complain about that too, you can, but you're going to get hit over the head with the word ALPHA a lot, so be prepared.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, you can get a guaranteed cooking pot without entering a poi. Go to the wasteland, the small bump of a hill with the horizontal pipe on it....cooking pot sitting next to the pipe on the ground. Those are usually a few feet from road/path.
 

As for glue/duct tape, I have anywhere from 8-12 by the end of Day 1 just by searching garbage piles and trashcans without entering a poi. I make bicycles by Day 2 and need a bunch of duct tape since I’m making 2-4 bicycles so duct tape is a priority. I don’t enter poi’s until I have a decent weapon and in every playthrough, I’ve never had a problem getting duct tape. /shrugs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Star69 said:

Go to the wasteland, the small bump of a hill with the horizontal pipe on it....cooking pot sitting next to the pipe on the ground. Those are usually a few feet from road/path.

Also a good chance of it being a mine instead of a plain pot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're super lucky, there will be a friendly cop or cute fuzzy zombie bear on the other side of the hill!

 

(No idea if this is still possible, but I remember back in the day wandering down a road on day 1 trying to find a town, the road going through the wasteland and me being terrified that the cops or zombie bears I could see in the distance would notice me.  Might have been due to a mod, though...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

(No idea if this is still possible, but I remember back in the day wandering down a road on day 1 trying to find a town, the road going through the wasteland and me being terrified that the cops or zombie bears I could see in the distance would notice me.  Might have been due to a mod, though...)

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if that was unmodded since I was having Feral Wights spawn there night 1 in A18. Still happens in A19 with the added benefit of the Wasteland at night now always spawning up to spawn cap regardless of how long it has been since the last time a zombie spawned there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...