Fix the RNG. Almost want to quit game it's that bad

IDNeon

Seriously 2 of my hardest pay throughs have been ruined by bad RNG.

Its NOT FUN when you're level 30, 0 deaths, day 7, 400+ zombie kills and you STILL havent found any duct tape or beakers to make duct tape.

That seriously ruined my game goals when the zombies just got too powerful to fix my base with an axe.

It shouldn't he hard to flag f-ing gd-damn important items for game progression so they definitely drop in a fing loot bag or the next available loot.

4 minutes ago, IDNeon said:

No. Wasn't the iron man. This was my horde every night play through. And it's seriously annoying that 7 hours into the game and still no duct tape.

Ah your playing horde every night...

Haven't checked the XMLs lately to see what loot containers have the best chance but would have to guess trash containers.

Also, there are quite a number of youtubers (e.g. Glock9) who play horde every night.  Perhaps check some of their vids out for some tips and tricks.

Do you need a beaker for duct tape? I think you can make glue using bones and water in an iron pot in a fireplace and then combine glue with cloth for duct tape. A beaker and chemistry station are more efficient but there shouldn't be a reason to wait for better efficiency and go without at all for 7 hours.

Confirmed: I went into the game just to make sure I wasn't misremembering and glue is a basic campfire recipe and duct tape is a basic backpack recipe. No beaker required for duct tape. You should be able to have stacks of it in no time if you focus on it.

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

Do you need a beaker for duct tape? I think you can make glue using bones and water in an iron pot in a fireplace and then combine glue with cloth for duct tape. A beaker and chemistry station are more efficient but there shouldn't be a reason to wait for better efficiency and go without at all for 7 hours.

Yeah, at the campfire it simply requires a cooking pot. You only lose 2 bones by doing the cooking pot route and bones are easy to hoard.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Don't tell me iron pots are as hard to find as a beaker

It's insane-nightmare. Dunno. But the opportunity to just wander into a kitchen is much more difficult. Regardless.

The game shouldn't force you to have to enter POIs.

I got over 20 loot bags. Drop some F-ing duct tape

The game doesn't force you to enter POI's any more than it forces you to open loot bags. You chose your difficulty so now live in that world and expect to die. Iron pots are common in kitchens. If the difficulty you selected makes it too tough to enter kitchens then turn down the difficulty. It's too hard for you. BTW, you don't have to explore the entire POI. Sneak into the kitchen and grab an iron pot. Half the time they are sitting out in the open and you don't even need to open a cupboard or wake anything up.

4 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Yeah I mean you hit a couple kitchens up like Roland said and you're bound to find one. Either way, it's one point into advanced engineering to craft a forge too.

Yeah, but you need....duct tape for the forge recipe-- which was his point.

#SecretAgendaPosts

And you need duct tape to make duct tape.

It's kind of stupid actually.

If the game is going to require you to create a chicken before you get a egg...it might as well give you the chicken when the Game Stage is high enough.

It totally RUINS the game that you can go 7 hours and not get a cooking pot...or just get duct tape to drop. 

Current game I got a ton of duct tape first mail box I opened. 

Lvl1

The randomness is seriously stupid.

It's not fun starting a game and it can be a complete piece of trash or way too easy.

Neither outcome are fun

Your chicken and egg story doesn't apply because a cooking pot is an extremely common find. You do not need a forge to make tape which is required for the forge. Duct tape is craftable using commonly found and craftable items. It also is commonly sold at the traders as is glue.

7 hours of no duct tape is just poor play. period. We don't need duct tape to be dropping from every loot bag and mail box in additon to how easily craftable it is just because you are scared to go into a kitchen with your chosen difficulty. For 90% of players, searching a few kitchens for an iron pot is a great balance for bad luck in looting.

I get it. You are playing dead is dead on insane difficulty and nightmare speed. Going into a POI could be a death sentence. Now grow a pair and get in there. Isn't that the thrill you're seeking by playing with those self-imposed settings? Scavenging in buildings is part of the whole zombie apocalypse vibe. Channel Glen. 

It does apply because my NEW play through. The stupid trader has a forge RUINING the entire progression.

Too random. Dumb. Bad RNG

I don't want the game easier.

I want it not completely stupid random.

You see what I'm saying?

I dont want to lose a 7 hour game because no duct tape. 

Only to be given enough duct tape from a mailbox at lvl1 and a working forge.

That is stupid.

Then roll a new world. A trader with an operational forge is definitely more rare than a kitchen without a cooking pot. It is not stupid bad RNG just because a Trader might have operational workstations. You aren't playing the game the way it is intended so you are going to have to mod it if you don't want to ignore stuff that is 100% fine for those playing the default game.

A slightly more intense you would come on here and say, "I want to race gokarts with characters from the mushroom kingdom and the dumb bad RNG doesn't spawn anything like that for some reason. How am I supposed to play the way I want to and not be forced?"

3 hours ago, IDNeon said:

It's insane-nightmare. Dunno. But the opportunity to just wander into a kitchen is much more difficult. Regardless.

I got over 20 loot bags. Drop some F-ing duct tape

There is your problem. You don´t enter Poi´s because you choose a diificulty that is obivously too hard for you to play the game properly. Lootin POI`s is a crucial part of the game. See trader quests. It´s intended that POI`s get looted. Also you will find a beaker way earlier then. 

Your problem is selfmade.

Yeah...

This is another one of those "shoot myself in the foot and sue the government because the hospital is too far away" threads.

I understand some people enjoy extreme challenge, but why come complain about it after you've chosen it? You have to know at this point that RNG is part of the game and RNG will always be RNG...sometimes it giveth and sometimes it's a @%$#ing @%$#.

You are free to tinker with the percentages in the xml, but you're never going to find the perfect numbers that magically give you just the right amount of everything in every game. It's a completely unrealistic expectation.

In fact, RNG variations are just about the only thing that give the game replayability at this point. Even if you found those magic numbers, I can't imagine that anyone would want to use them as it would render every game UTTERLY the same, just with some POIs moved around...if you play Navezgane then it's literally just a rerun.

Also, as stated already, duct tape and cooking pots are already EXTREMELY plentiful, you just have to go where they are found.

I'm sorry you are not enjoying the game the way you set it up. The good news is, you can change it at any time, either through settings, xml edits, or the creative menu. Help yourself - the tools of your salvation are directly at hand.

The main part of playing the game at your insane difficulty is being literally forced to have no choice but to adapt or die. If what your doing is not getting you what you need then stop doing it and find another way to get what you need.  As the game is never going to hand anything to you in anywhere near a reliable way and will always find a way to screw you over as a key part of its difficulty.

For example learn a few POIs that have easily accessible kitchens and ways to break directly into them for smash and grab runs. So that you can quickly break in grab what you need then run away with out needing to fight anything.

10 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Then where do you think you should find things?   Just lying around outside?

9 hours ago, IDNeon said:

The stupid trader has a forge RUINING the entire progression.

A trader with a forge ruins progression for you?   You've got a VERY narrow definition of progression.   For me, at best, it gives me a bit of a head start.

Ruin a 7 hour game?  I've thrown away games with over 100 days because I got bored and went on to something else for a while and forgot what I was doing.

Granted I don't run with the hardest settings either, I want to have fun, not have every day be an epic battle for survival.

cooking pots are indeed everywhere.  so is duct tape and glue.

that's why I loot every single garbage thing I run across.

I have enough tape on day 1 to make q1 padded armor.

Beakers though, one game, 30+ days to get 1. (then I got a bunch in a couple days)

new game? 2 of them on day 3 from a pop'n'pills.

(prev game, did a bunch of those and 2 hospitals. none. no chemstation.  Oh, traders have 2. bought the stations.  THEN I started finding beakers)

RNG was not nice.

😛

13 hours ago, IDNeon said:

Seriously 2 of my hardest pay throughs have been ruined by bad RNG.

Its NOT FUN when you're level 30, 0 deaths, day 7, 400+ zombie kills and you STILL havent found any duct tape or beakers to make duct tape.

That seriously ruined my game goals when the zombies just got too powerful to fix my base with an axe.

It shouldn't he hard to flag f-ing gd-damn important items for game progression so they definitely drop in a fing loot bag or the next available loot.

I made duct tape without a beaker. I was on day 4. 

/shrug

11 hours ago, IDNeon said:

And you need duct tape to make duct tape.

It's kind of stupid actually.

At this point I don't even know what you're talking about

Archived